“Atleast update the webpage...”
Review of Vis-a-Vis

Vis-a-Vis
Ranked #119 of 1,196 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: French, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Hampshire
Description: With a "face-to-face" mentality, Vis a Vis is a personalized and engaging experience. With front row seats, you are able to interact with our Bartender & Charcutier while sipping on a glass of wine, locally crafted beer or a signature cocktail
Victoria, Canada
“Atleast update the webpage...”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went last night to Vis a Vis before the opera, having been previously when it was actually a wine and charcuterie bar and having been blown away we were looking forward to a similar experience.

I check the webpage to make sure there were no changes before making our reservation. 24+ different types of wine sold by the ounce? Check. Cheese / meats $5/oz? Check.

But, we were disappointed to find that the very things we went to Vis a Vis for, and that are still advertised on their webpage, aren't available. There were maybe 5 white wines and 5 reds available but minimum pour was 6oz, and a poor selection of meats and cheeses which could be on their "ploughmans platter."

If the concept had to be changed, and is now just a fancy restaurant face of the pub could they alteast change the website so it reflects the true dining experience??

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Spibble

victoria
“Please move it back up a notch- the original concept was ambitious but is there a compromise?”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Don't get me wrong- I like the place but the Penny is next door and with the food here now being much the same it is starting to be the place to be " in the pub with the kids".

It originally had a complex menu that was baffling, especially after sipping a glass of wonderful wine but the wine and food concept was wonderful and connected perfectly with the wine shop in Althone. It seems as if someone in head office gave up entirely.

As a person who loved the original concept- I hope the management will please offer a more interesting menu and get back in touch with the food and wine aspect otherwise it's just going to be the Penny Annex for parents with minors... if theycontinue the present direction they may as well turn turn the outdoor seating area into stroller parking.

Last time we went for dinner the place was virtually empty- guess it was past bedtome for the kidlets. RE BRAND asap.

Next time we will go to the Penny for dinner- there will be a buzz in the room and the food will be the same. We were embarrassed with out of town guests in an empty room on our last visit.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank amusedcreations
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Good food; A couple pitfalls”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the Oak Bay Resort and walked about 15 minutes to find a place to eat. We had our happy baby with us. I poked my head in and there wasn't a customer in sight. The waitress was super friendly and set us up outside. She even closed the plastic sheets to block the wind, turned off the loud music, and turned on the heat lamps for us. So nice!

My husband and I's meals were delicious.

We asked if we could just get a piece of plain salmon for our baby to eat (and then I could put the rest on my salad), and a side of olives for him. When the food came, a different waiter brought out our food. The salmon had a glaze on it, and I asked him what the glaze was. He acted like I was super bothering him and he said he didn't know what it was. I kept looking at him and he said he "guessed" he could go find out. He came back and with a ton of attitude told me it was a spicy korean barbecue glaze. I was about to ask if they could give us a plain piece like we asked because our baby obviously couldn't eat spicy korean barbecue glaze but he walked off. We were left paying $15 for a piece of salmon no one ate. I mentioned this when paying our bill but nothing was done. Disappointed, because the rest of our food was good.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank ALaugh
“Be honest!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place was once amazing! Had worked up to #4 in victoria in trip advisor... Because of many uncontrollable circumstances, it didn't work fiscally for the owner, so he changed format and staff... It now really an extension of the pub and as a former employee it is very disheartening to read the reviews of the current product. So judge the place for what is now is... A family action of a pub.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank RLTurn
White Rock, Canada
“Best in Oakbay”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We love this little restaurant , attached to the Penny Farthing Pub in Oakbay. Just a few tables on a sunlit sidewalk patio... comfy chairs... good, cheerful service and excellent selection of great pub-type food.
The turkey wrap was wonderful and another member of our party really enjoyed the Shepherds pie... it was even on special. Always a good experience and worth driving to charming Oak Bay for.

• Visited June 2013