“Disappointing compared to comparable local restaurants”
Review of Vis-a-Vis

Vis-a-Vis
Ranked #122 of 1,222 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: French, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Hampshire
Description: With a "face-to-face" mentality, Vis a Vis is a personalized and engaging experience. With front row seats, you are able to interact with our Bartender & Charcutier while sipping on a glass of wine, locally crafted beer or a signature cocktail
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have to admit, I was expecting much greater things, based on these reviews. It wasn't a terrible dining experience, but neither was it anywhere close to a stellar one.

To start with the good - atmosphere and decor are lovely, and some of the dishes were had were spectacular.

The service, while friendly and very knowlegable, was erratic - we were there almost half an hour before we got drinks, and over an hour before our first course was served. (The restaurant wasn't full, and if there were issues with staffing, nothing was said by way of apology, making it seem this was the norm.)

While presentation was uniformly delightful, the quality of the food was inconsistent : some dishes - the mushroom gnocchi, for example, were exceptional; others - the halibut cheeks - were good for some at our table, but overcooked for others (the scallop appetizer was also overcooked); still others were just so-so all around - the pork belly was undercooked (no crispness to the fat, which is the whole point of pork belly!), and the cheese fondue for the tempura broccolini was pronounced ho-hum by all who tried it.

I'm a big fan of small plates dining, and while I love what Vis a Vis is trying to do, the execution on the night I was there was just not up to par. I'll probable give it one more try, just in case we hit an off night, but my initial impression is that other small plates restaurants in Victoria do it much better.

5  Thank mahoutma

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I love tapas because it allows you to try a lot of flavors without over ordering. At the top of our list was the pork belly. Off the charcuterie menu we order the smoked duck (good) and the smoked salmon (great). The halibut checks were tasty but the sauce was the star of the dish.

The most surprising item was the salad. We wanted something fresh and lite considering all the meat plates we ordered and decided on what appeared on the menu to be a fairly typical green salad. It was anything but typical and packed with amazing flavors. It was also much larger than we expected which allowed to have some salad along with every plate that came out.

What I liked most was the way wine was served. While the selection wasn't enormous it was good and varied. The advantage to having a limited selection was that everything was available by the glass and you could get a pour as small as one ounce. There was also no price disadvantage since a one ounce pour was just a fifth the cost of a five ounce pour. This was perfect for my wife who is not a big wine drinker but was able to sample 4 different wines at a very reasonable cost.

For dessert my wife had the creme brulee which was very good and I had two cheese selections.

The only downside is that the restaurant is small and the tables are close together. We were lucky to get a table on the end so it didn't feel too crowded and and some sense of privacy.

We will definitely go back to Vis a Vis if we are in Victoria again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Love being able to select a platter of meats, cheeses and accompaniments..everything superb...smoked duck breast super succulent! The emphasis on local produce, attention to detail and excellent flavour mixes made for a very relaxing, delicious dinner....loved the flights of wine and champers...a great addition! Definitely a place to take guests for a real treat.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I haven't had the chance to eat lunch here since the summer, and I'm still thinking about when I will get the chance to return for their macaroni and cheese, which is the best I've had anywhere (including some well known versions like Janice Beaton's in Calgary, etc). And the suggested wine paring was one of the best food and wine parings I've had...ever. The friendly service, small intimate atmosphere, and selection of wine just makes it all the more perfect.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had an early dinner here recently, two small plates each and a delicious smoked meat croquette appetiser, Everything was delicious, beautifully presented and our server was friendly and knowledgeable. Can't wait to go back and try some of the other dishes, it was very hard to choose when everything sounded so good. Hope to try a dessert on our next visit as they sounded pretty good too.