“Overpriced but Fine” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sandman Hotel Victoria
Ranked #41 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver
“Overpriced but Fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

My family booked a room with a kitchenette so we could be self-sufficient for the weekend while we were attending a softball tournament in town. We were placed in a room with a window overlooking the front entrance and smoking area, meaning we had the sun shining in our window early in the morning, which I actually enjoyed. The only downside to facing that direction was that the room warmed up quickly. I usually like having the windows open, but the windows in this hotel don’t open, which was probably for the best, considering how close my room was to the smoking area outside. Fortunately, the air conditioning worked perfectly and kept us cool. However, I believe there was a smoking room on our floor or there was an air intake too near the smoking area because the afternoon that we checked in, the hallway outside our room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Our room didn’t though. By the next day, the smell was gone and we didn’t have a problem with it for the rest of the trip.

The kitchenette was fully stocked with all the dishes, cutlery, pots and pans, and other amenities (toaster, fridge, etc.) that we needed, which meant we could buy groceries and feed ourselves without spending money on going out for every meal. For the cost of the hotel, I was disappointed that it didn’t include a complimentary breakfast.

Before booking, I saw on Trip Advisor that the GM had mentioned upgrading of bedding in the rooms, so I had my fingers crossed that we’d end up in a room with the new linens, but no such luck. Our room had two double beds and a pull-out bed and the double beds had old bedding, shown in the “professional photos” on TA. I saw various different rooms during the weekend (visiting teammates’ rooms), and only an upgraded non-kitchenette room had the new white duvets. The other rooms all still had the old bedding. In our room, the carpets, bedding, and curtains all appeared a little elderly, but they served their purpose. The curtains had weird stains, but again, functioned as they were supposed to and kept prying eyes and light out. After noticing comments about sub-par pillows, I expected to be disappointed and was pleasantly surprised! The pillows in my room were more than adequate and appeared to be quite new.

One feature of this hotel that my family loved was the pool! My mom never goes swimming, but the water was warm enough that she came in all the way up to her neck twice during the weekend visit! The pool area was obviously popular with other guests, as there was always somebody else there, usually families with kids, but we didn’t mind. The pool and hot tub were clean and after long days of softball games, the relief of relaxing our muscles in the hot tub was welcomed.

As somebody else mentioned, this isn’t the most salubrious neighbourhood, but it was a block away from a Boston Pizza and between two Tim Hortons locations, which served my team well. On the first night, I walked East down Hillside Avenue to Quadra Street to buy some groceries at Fairway Market and realized quickly that being East of Blanshard Street at night wasn’t the best decision. Fortunately, I wasn’t alone. (As a side note, the Fairway Market had an exceptional variety of imported foods, as well as the everyday food I expected to find. What a diamond in the rough!) We didn’t need to be located Downtown Victoria near the harbour, as my games were in Saanich and View Royal, so the location of the Sandman was great for us, as we were only a bus ride or short drive away from downtown but could get where I needed to be quite easily. (Just don’t drive through the intersection of Gorge Rd E/Government St/Hillside Ave/Douglas St if you have to be anywhere in a hurry!)

My team had arranged a reservation with company rates, so this hotel was a little cheaper than the listed price, but it was still more than I thought it should’ve cost. That’s just the reality for hotels on Vancouver Island. Overall, this hotel was average. It had everything we really needed, but it wasn’t exceptional. I’d be interested in seeing the hotel when the linens are all replaced with the more modern white duvets and maybe some more updates were done to modernize the rooms, so if I ever have to return to Victoria, I would consider staying here again, especially if I could get a deal on the price like this visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kaeli A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was slightly out of town with approx 30 min walk to harbour. The hotel was good, with friendly efficient service. Room was large with kitchenette so if staying for more the one night could be useful.. The only downside to the hotel was location, the walk back from town at night was passed prostitutes and homeless sleeping rough. Don't let this put you off the hotel, just catch a cab back or try a different route as Victoria is a wonderful place to visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GDM_68
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed overnight in a King Suite. Bed was comfortable, room space is ok, clean. large indoor pool. Negative: pillows are not enough- be sure to ask for extra as soon as you check-in. Towels are not big enough & easily soaks so ask for extra, too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

It was bad on my first visit in May. I had a very old room that seemed like it hadn't been renovated since the early 90's. When I asked to switch to the "renovated" part of the hotel they told me it would be a loss of revenue...

Guest services is not their strongest either.

I'm not sure why I booked again, maybe because the company I work with gets a discount... I booked asking for a newer room this time... Again, I got an old room... When I mentioned it they said their was nothing to could do.
This will be my last visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Steph R
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thanks so much for your feedback. I wanted to touch on your comment in regards to our guest rooms. All of our guest rooms have been renovated with various updates over the past few years. We are currently in the process of and continuing to upgrade all rooms to enhance the guest experience.

The rooms I believe you are referring too are our rooms that have that new duvets. We are in the process of updating all of our linens and should be completed in the next few months as we await the order to arrive. Most of our guest rooms have been renovated with new carpeting, new TV's and this year we will be starting to renovate some of our rooms with all new furniture packages as well. We are excited for the new changes ahead.

I can also assure you that there is no difference in price between a room with older bedding and newer bedding. We do our best to accommodate any requests for these type of rooms. Within due time they will all have the new linens which are a great comfortable addition to our rooms.

I do hope that this clarifies your concerns you brought forward. Again we are happy to do our best to try to accommodate such a request and will do our best.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us in the near future and if you contact me directly I will do my best to assure we accommodate your request.

Brian Johnson

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend and were very disappointed. We have stayed at other Sandmans and assumed they were all the same. Not so.

Positive: Room was clean and Shark Club attached so it's easy to get a bite to eat if you don't want to go out. Pretty good central location. Indoor pool. Housekeepers were nice.

Negative: Room was miniscule. I'm not kidding. We had a room by the elevator with barely enough room to walk around the bed. Hotel network connection spotty and unreliable. Parking lot small, crowded, poorly designed, and spaces were tiny. You can't open windows in room. Hotel was loud and filled with screaming kids for I don't know what reason. Pillows terrible and not enough of them. Room had one small desk chair only for sitting.

The hotel was a big disappointment and definitely not worth the price. I've stayed at Super 8's that were cheaper and a *lot* more comfortable. This was just a little weekend away for us, but we'll not stay here again.

Room Tip: When you book, tell them you don't want the teeny tiny room by the elevator. The one that requir...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cynthia W
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. First off thank you for your positive comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and the warm hospitality of our housekeeping team, I will be sure to share this with them. Also having the Shark Club attached to the hotel is a great asset to our establishment as they serve three meals a day, and excellent food choices.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the size of the room you stayed in. We do have many suites in our hotel about 65% of our inventory. They are much larger, have either two double beds or a king size bed, a full kitchenette and a separate sitting area with a pullout sofa. They are large in space and very comfortable. And for a nominal fee they are very popular amongst most of our guests.

Our hotel was built with no opening windows. However all of our rooms are equipped with your own personally controlled heating and air conditioning. This also allows fresh air in to the room as well. He are one of very few hotels in the Victoria area that is fully air conditioned for those hot summer days. Another reason why guests keep coming back.

We do provide ample amount of pillows in the room as well as two spare pillows in the closet with an extra blanket in all of our guest rooms. Of course you can request extra pillows for your stay. We want our guests to be as comfortable as possible during their stay.

We do ensure all of our hotel guests keep to "quiet" time during their stay and we do have on site security that ensures all noise is kept to a minimum at all times of the day.

Our wifi internet has been updated recently and we rarely have any concerns. We do suggest if you are having problems connecting to contact our Front Desk team and they will contact our wifi provider to help you troubleshoot your specific connection problem. It is as easy as that!

Again I am sorry for the experience you had and do hope you will come back and stay with us again in the near future, and do suggest you try one of our larger suite rooms. They sure have an abundance of space.

We do hope you will give us another try in the near future.

Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've stayed here before on business and chose to stay again for a family vacation because it has a great pool (large, very clean). I checked in with two 13 year olds and when I asked the desk clerk what the age was that children could swim without an adult present, he said *18*. I commented that was very odd and very old compared to most hotels but he assured me that was hotel policy. However, when we were swimming there were other young teens there without a parent so when I checked out I asked the desk clerk (a different one) and she said the age was 13. I also noted that the iron was broken (the knob to press for steam was missing) and there was a chunk of corner wall that had been gouged and not repaired.

On the positive side - the room was clean, the location is great, and the free parking and free internet are super perks.

Not sure that I will stay there again with family due to the confusing info about the pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenda M
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize for the communication error regarding the age limit for using the pool area. I wanted to clarify that the age limit to use the pool without an adult is 13 years old. We do post signs that the hot tub is to be used by adults only unless children are accompanied by an adult as there are health risks involved with using hot tub due to high temperatures. Signs are clearly marked in and around the pool area for this reason.

I have addressed and discussed with my team the difference between the pool age limit and the hot tub usage age limits.

Also we have addressed the issue of the iron and baseboard and can assure you we take great pride in the maintenance and housekeeping of our rooms.

I will share your positive feedback with the rest of the team.

I do hope we will have a chance to welcome you back in the near future now that the pool age limit has been addressed.

Again thanks for your feedback.

Powell River, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had to book this the same day we needed it and the hotel was quite booked from what I could tell. So we ended up having to take a Junior Suite we didn't want or need. $170 for the night. I was okay with that especially if there is breakfast included BUT there wasn't!! I know it was my fault for not checking but this is the first hotel I've run into of this genre that hasn't come with a complimentary breakfast and I use hotels about 40-45 nights per year. The under ground parking was nice as was the secure elevator and liquor store next door. Room was clean, beds were reasonably comfortable, and hotel staff are friendly. Like I said only complaint was the price and lack of a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple