“A bit odd...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

You added Sandman Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2852 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M5, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Victoria
Nanaimo, Canada
“A bit odd...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've stayed here before on business and chose to stay again for a family vacation because it has a great pool (large, very clean). I checked in with two 13 year olds and when I asked the desk clerk what the age was that children could swim without an adult present, he said *18*. I commented that was very odd and very old compared to most hotels but he assured me that was hotel policy. However, when we were swimming there were other young teens there without a parent so when I checked out I asked the desk clerk (a different one) and she said the age was 13. I also noted that the iron was broken (the knob to press for steam was missing) and there was a chunk of corner wall that had been gouged and not repaired.

On the positive side - the room was clean, the location is great, and the free parking and free internet are super perks.

Not sure that I will stay there again with family due to the confusing info about the pool.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenda M
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize for the communication error regarding the age limit for using the pool area. I wanted to clarify that the age limit to use the pool without an adult is 13 years old. We do post signs that the hot tub is to be used by adults only unless children are accompanied by an adult as there are health risks involved with using hot tub due to high temperatures. Signs are clearly marked in and around the pool area for this reason.

I have addressed and discussed with my team the difference between the pool age limit and the hot tub usage age limits.

Also we have addressed the issue of the iron and baseboard and can assure you we take great pride in the maintenance and housekeeping of our rooms.

I will share your positive feedback with the rest of the team.

I do hope we will have a chance to welcome you back in the near future now that the pool age limit has been addressed.

Again thanks for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Brian Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Powell River, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had to book this the same day we needed it and the hotel was quite booked from what I could tell. So we ended up having to take a Junior Suite we didn't want or need. $170 for the night. I was okay with that especially if there is breakfast included BUT there wasn't!! I know it was my fault for not checking but this is the first hotel I've run into of this genre that hasn't come with a complimentary breakfast and I use hotels about 40-45 nights per year. The under ground parking was nice as was the secure elevator and liquor store next door. Room was clean, beds were reasonably comfortable, and hotel staff are friendly. Like I said only complaint was the price and lack of a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanukSteve
Courtenay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here this past weekend in a suite and although most of our experience was average, we did have one disgusting discovery in the bed! Late the first night, after a long day of driving and hockey games, we pulled out the hide-a-bed for our young hockey player to sleep on and on it, we found a large, gross bone! It appeared to have been cooked and maybe picked clean by someone or something...it was hard to tell but it was 7 or 8 inches in length and quite the shocking discovery! It took a bit to get the bedding changed and we were told it would be reported to a manager but didnt hear anything from any staff, even when asked, as apparently there was no manager around this weekend.
So disgusting!! And no resolve or apology of any sort from management. So lame! The reaction from the staff that we spoke to about this seemed as though it was nothing new or out of the ordinary. Would not ever recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank misslitt
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
I greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I can assure you we take all feedback seriously and act upon any incidents promptly.

I am terribly sorry for your experience that you encountered and was quite shocked myself to hear of this incident. It is quite interesting that this was found on the bottom of the pullout bed as if something was inside the pull out bed it would have fallen on the floor when pulling the sofa bed out. It is a very strange occurrence for sure as our housekeeping department take great pride in their work.

All of our rooms are checked prior to arrival of guests including pulling out sofa beds and checking in and behind them.

We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and am sorry for this experience.

If you would like to discuss this further in person with me please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest Regards,

Brian Johnson

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Room was clean. Staff were okay. We booked really early for our vacation and our family of five (3 kids under 10) were put into a room right over the club. Not sure how they figured that was going to go over well. None of us slept. It happened to be an MMA fight night broadcast so we were kept awake by all the hoopla and the other two nights we had the pleasure of listening to motor bikers revving until the wee hours. No discounts were offered and our rooms couldn't be switched because the hotel was full. We won't ever stay again. As well, just for safety concerns, there was no house phone in the pool and no emergency exit. Accidents can happen . . .

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for rooms away from the club. Unless, of course, you enjoy not sleeping.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank JMC-JSC2004
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I do apologize for the experience in which you encountered regarding the noise.

We take great measures to ensure that minimum noise comes from the Shark Club. We in fact have noise measuring devices that measure the decibels that are used on such event nights. They are checked every half an hour to ensure that they do not effect out on house guests. It is a very extremely rare occurrence that we receive any such complaints due to the fact that we do ensure this is controlled.

In regards to the feedback about not having an emergency exit in the pool area, we do in fact have three major emergency exits in the pool area. As well, we have a courtesy/emergency phone just in the hallway outside of the pool. We take all precautions we can to ensure the utmost safety of all of our hotel guests.

We value the feedback and do hope that we will be bale to welcome you back in the near future. If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here in the last two years. As before the staff have been very helpful and pleasant. The kitchen facilities in this room would have enabled us to be self-sufficient had we desired. The beds were comfortable and the room quiet.

Room Tip: Choose one on the back of the building if possible as they are away from the main traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I will be share your comments with my team. We do value each and every one of our guests and our team ensures each and every guest has a memorable and relaxing stay with us.

Our kitchen suites are very popular amongst our guests as they allow the flexibility to prepare your own meals if you wish. Great for long term stays!

Again thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Regards,

Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed two nights last week and was very happy with the service and the hotel in general. The front desk staff person was very well organized, efficient, and friendly. The room was clean and in good repair. I found the bed a little bit hard but that is likely just my personal preference and wouldn't stop me from staying there again. The pool was fine and the breakfast menu was ample. Parents travelling with children should be aware that the onsite restaurant is a bar and grill, so no kids allowed. However, there are many family oriented restaurants within easy walking distance. I will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
kegs605
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

we were at a diffrent property and came to this one, we liked the room so much we stayed an extra night. The sheets and room was a huge improvement ffrom the night before. I was very pleased the hotel was clean and the rooms were great. On the bus route, just hop on the bus go downtown enjoy your evening and take a taxi back..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple