“No Surprises” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Victoria

You added Sandman Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Victoria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2852 Douglas Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8T 4M5, Canada (Burnside)   |
Ranked #41 of 56 Hotels in Victoria
Kelowna
“No Surprises”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have few words for this hotel as it was a very enjoyable stay. The room was very clean and comfortable. What I did notice most was how quiet the hotel was. For reference I was on the top floor back side. Government St. is very close and while not "downtown" so close that might as well be. Room rate is very affordable and no charge for parking. Staff was courteous and quick with check in and check out. Even though my room was next to the elevator, my past experiences being next to an elevator were not recreated here. Being an active person I wish I had a chance to experience the pool and fitness facilities. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. While it may not officially be 5 star, it was 5 star in my books as I really felt comfortble there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I just want to thank you for your great feedback regarding the hotel and our team. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with all of our team, and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. I am glad we could give you our "5 Star" service.

Kindest Regards,

Brian Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Pitt Meadows, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Sandman hotel in Victoria is a nice hotel to stay in. The rooms at decent for the price and you get good beds. The wifi works though you sometimes have nights were you have to keep entering the password.
There is a hotub, pool and weight room down on the parking level that is clean and well maintained.
The shark club restaurant has good sports pub food and good staff.
The hotel staff were always helpful and knowledgable.

Room Tip: Better then a motel 6 or super 8. Usually quiet and good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grande Prairie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the Sandman while a family member was in a Victoria hospital as they offered an excellent medical rate. We had a suite with my wife & I using the bed and another family member using the pull out couch in the sitting area. Room was clean but was showing its age a bit (tap leaked). Only real issue was that housekeeping kept forgetting that there was 3 of us in the room and never left enough towels. Leaving a note solved this. Front desk staff where very friendly and helpful (we never knew when we would be leaving so they let us update them day by day).

Room Tip: The suites are nice. There is a sitting room with a TV and then a small kitchen area and then the m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GGScottH
Mission, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was traveling by myself with my 5 children and all the little details made all the difference to a successful stay....part of which means a relaxed mom. From the availability of the family suite, to the very friendly reservation and front desk staff, to the quick service of getting the extra pillow we needed, to Anita, the housekeeping manager, providing personal service to ensure our room was to our satisfaction and leaving behind a care package of cookies and chips - even some baby cookies because she knew I had a baby, to the manager being flexible with pool rules and allowing my older children to swim while my baby napped. It was all so convenient, easy, accommodating. What a treat to have free local calls! The conveniences for a busy mom were endless! We appreciate being able to count on this consistent service each time we travel to visit our families in Victoria! Thank you!
My only negative comment is that I would appreciate that you invest in new beds and pillows. They are not comfortable and the sheets are obviously bleached over and over and for our family with sensitive skin eczema this was uncomfortable and we all lacked sleep. Go the extra mile and spend money on improved mattress, pillow and linen quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Parksville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Sandman in Victoria for one night. I live further north on Vancouver Island and come to Victoria periodically. I thought I'd try somewhere new (and near to my destination). The hotel seemed quite clean and well kept. Staff was friendly. What disappointed me was how NOISY the hotel was. I returned after dinner to find that the bar was full and very loud (a Friday night). The noise followed me into the hotel and to my 3rd floor room. After settling in, I could still hear noise from the stairs, elevator and surrounding rooms. The headboard on my bed was not attached properly and banged everytime a door opened or closed, or the people upstairs walked. I could clearly hear voices in the next room (well enough to understand their conversation). This continued until 3am and I was woken again at 6am by people coming and going. The bath tub also did not drain properly, and filled up while I showered.

I won't be staying here again. I shouldn't have to move rooms after already unpacking and settling in. This hotel needs to be updated with better sound proofing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room far away from the elevator and hope that it's quiet!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me regarding your most recent stay with us. I do apologize that you encountered some noise concerns during your stay with us.

This weekend you are referring too was a sold out weekend for us. We did have a number of teams staying with us and was also an event night at the Shark Club. We do enforce strict policies to our teams that are staying with us. Each team must fill out and sign a team conduct agreement that lists the hotel rules and policies regarding quiet times etc. We also have security that patrols the hallways and property to ensure rules are being adhered too. We did have no noise complaints brought to our attention on this specific weekend. Again we always want to ensure our guests enjoy a quiet and memorable stay.

We have addressed the concern with the headboard and the shower drain and have corrected these issues, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I can assure you that we would welcome the opportunity to have you back to stay with us. I would be more than happy to speak to you directly regarding your past stay. I can be reached at (250) 388-0788

Again thank you for your feedback and I am most certain your next stay will be a pleasurable one.

Kind Regards,

Brian Johnson

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

diessen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

when we arrived at the hotel,we thought we could easy walk to the centre. Well it's ok during the day but i wouldn't recomend it later in the evening. The hotel is ok, The room was big and clean but next time i think we will get a hotel closer to the nicer part of victoria.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of our centrally located hotel. Most of our guests prefer our location to the inner harbour area as we are centrally located and 20 minutes walk to the inner harbour. The hotel itself is also centrally located to Mayfair Mall, Uptown Mall and many of Victoria's wonderful tourist attractions. It really depends on what you are looking at doing while your in the Victoria area. An added bonus that we offer compared to any inner harbour hotel is FREE parking for all of our guests.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Regards,

england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Hotel is a long way from the centre and the walk is along a busy main road with furniture showrooms and car dealerships.

Beware of the pet friendly policy as you may end up with a barking dog in the room next door. We did and had to move rooms - hotel did this readily but nevertheless it was hassle forus.

Rooms were large and clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple