“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Victoria
Parksville, Canada
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Sandman in Victoria for one night. I live further north on Vancouver Island and come to Victoria periodically. I thought I'd try somewhere new (and near to my destination). The hotel seemed quite clean and well kept. Staff was friendly. What disappointed me was how NOISY the hotel was. I returned after dinner to find that the bar was full and very loud (a Friday night). The noise followed me into the hotel and to my 3rd floor room. After settling in, I could still hear noise from the stairs, elevator and surrounding rooms. The headboard on my bed was not attached properly and banged everytime a door opened or closed, or the people upstairs walked. I could clearly hear voices in the next room (well enough to understand their conversation). This continued until 3am and I was woken again at 6am by people coming and going. The bath tub also did not drain properly, and filled up while I showered.

I won't be staying here again. I shouldn't have to move rooms after already unpacking and settling in. This hotel needs to be updated with better sound proofing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room far away from the elevator and hope that it's quiet!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me regarding your most recent stay with us. I do apologize that you encountered some noise concerns during your stay with us.

This weekend you are referring too was a sold out weekend for us. We did have a number of teams staying with us and was also an event night at the Shark Club. We do enforce strict policies to our teams that are staying with us. Each team must fill out and sign a team conduct agreement that lists the hotel rules and policies regarding quiet times etc. We also have security that patrols the hallways and property to ensure rules are being adhered too. We did have no noise complaints brought to our attention on this specific weekend. Again we always want to ensure our guests enjoy a quiet and memorable stay.

We have addressed the concern with the headboard and the shower drain and have corrected these issues, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I can assure you that we would welcome the opportunity to have you back to stay with us. I would be more than happy to speak to you directly regarding your past stay. I can be reached at (250) 388-0788

Again thank you for your feedback and I am most certain your next stay will be a pleasurable one.

Kind Regards,

Brian Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
diessen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

when we arrived at the hotel,we thought we could easy walk to the centre. Well it's ok during the day but i wouldn't recomend it later in the evening. The hotel is ok, The room was big and clean but next time i think we will get a hotel closer to the nicer part of victoria.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of our centrally located hotel. Most of our guests prefer our location to the inner harbour area as we are centrally located and 20 minutes walk to the inner harbour. The hotel itself is also centrally located to Mayfair Mall, Uptown Mall and many of Victoria's wonderful tourist attractions. It really depends on what you are looking at doing while your in the Victoria area. An added bonus that we offer compared to any inner harbour hotel is FREE parking for all of our guests.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Regards,

england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Hotel is a long way from the centre and the walk is along a busy main road with furniture showrooms and car dealerships.

Beware of the pet friendly policy as you may end up with a barking dog in the room next door. We did and had to move rooms - hotel did this readily but nevertheless it was hassle forus.

Rooms were large and clean and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank hopefultraveller_9
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place is a real mix of good and bad, and which side wins depends on what's most important to you. My travel plans changed pretty late in the game, and I had to change hotel plans, as most of the Victoria hotels were full. I was staying several days and needed a place with a kitchen, and the Sandman delivered. For $149/night, I got a room with a small-but-serviceable kitchen - small fridge, 2 burner stove, MW & CM, with basic dishes, flatware, and cooking pans in good shape. The room, bed, bath, living room, and temperature control were all comfortable, though a bit old fashioned and worn. The room was quiet, even though it is on a busy street. But... it was only relatively clean (though not horrible), the daily cleaning service left a lot to be desired, there were white deposits on the drapes (everything that I can imagine these stains to be is gross), both TVs were old and the signal reception poor, and the staff very inconsistent - they were friendly until you asked anything of them, then they were rude. They would not let me check in early. My big problem, though, was that the hotel is not in a very good area. It is in an industrial mix, and I was bothered several times by panhandlers in the hotel parking lot. There is a liquor store adjacent to the parking lot, which is nice if you want to make a purchase, but is undoubtedly one reason that they have problems with bums. When out walking, men in cars would pull over and wait for me to pass by; it was quite disconcerting, and later my colleagues said that the hotel is in an area frequented by prostitutes (though this was NOT a problem in the hotel). There was no pleasant place to take an evening walk from the hotel. I didn't try either the bar (which was busy and noisy) or the breakfast. On the plus side, though, the hotel is within a 15-minute walk of The Moon Under Water Brewpub, and another 15 minutes to the main tourist section.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank SallyFromTucson
generalhospitality, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We value the feedback of all of our guests. I am sorry that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We strive on quality and satisfaction for all of our guests.

In regards to your comments regarding our rooms, we are in the process of upgrading our hotel and our rooms. Over the last year we have installed flat screen tv's in half of our hotel rooms, added new carpet to many guest rooms, and are in the process of adding new bedding to all of our suites. We will also be adding new furniture to a selection of our guest rooms. All of these upgrade will help to enhance the guest experience for all of our valued guests.

We have discussed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and can assure you we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and will ensure that all of these housekeeping concerns are rectified immediately.

I am sorry that we were unable to accommodate your early request on check in, however we were a full house the night before and were unable to get you in to your room at your early arrival. We do guarantee the check in time of 4pm. In our peak season we do our best to try to accommodate these requests, however we can't guarantee it.

I have also noted your comments on the area of the hotel. We are located downtown and as in any city we do our best to prevent incidents like this from happening on hotel property. We do have regular security patrols that take place of the interior and exterior areas of the hotel to keep any instances such as what you encountered to a very minimum. Unfortunately as in any city these instances are beyond our control but we will and always do our best to prevent this from occurring on hotel property.

We are also located close to many wonderful parks, one of my favourites is a nice walk along the Gorge.

I always want to ensure that our guests are satisfied and comfortable when staying with us. As this seems to not be the case with your recent stay I would be more than happy to discuss this with you in more detail. I can be reached at the hotel directly and look forward to having the opportunity to further discuss your stay with us.

Again thanks for your feedback and we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and do our best to exceed your expectations.

Regards,
Brian Johnson

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Super great service. Very accommodating. It was much quieter than I thought it would be considering the location and locale of our room above the Shark Club. Room was very clean, but a bit tired. Bedding and décor were old-style. Some freshening up to the décor would be a huge improvement. Beds were comfy and seemed quite new.
Very pleasant experience overall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed at the hotel during a week in July and once again in August. This is the "high" season for rates (and tourists) in Victoria but was able to get a good rate via their 1-800 reservation line (along with a call by them to the manager to get the best deal). Both times stayed in the King suite (with kitchette - didn't really use that). Rooms were clean and large enough for my use. Underground parking was nice (not many use it, kept car cool and bird dropping free), pool looked nice (but never used it) and Sharks Club was a good bar with really good food (had the steak sandwich which was the best I have had in a while). Cleaning staff were always friendly, front desk were helpful (and if there was an issue with the room they promptly had it fixed - TV had reception issues, so they replaced with new TV). Location is just outside of downtown area so parking is free, but you are close enough with a short drive, bus ride, or 15 min walk. Overall I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights a the Sandman Hotel Victoria on August 2-4, 2012. We were pleasantly surprised at the price $119.00/night and were given a suite which included a second tv, kitchenette and pull out sofa. My only slight disappointment was the front office staff. Upon checking in we asked for directions to Butchart Gardens (being a major attraction in Victoria, British Columbia) for the morning. Unfortunately, the staff wasn't sure where it was located, actually pulled out a map and gave us incorrect directions. We were surprised that the hotel staff living in the city of Victoria wouldn't know how to direct us to such an important attraction that millions of people visit yearly. Thankfully with WIFI, we looked up the gardens ourselves and found our way.

Room Tip: Great Price for a hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple