“Great Location”
Review of Paul's Motor Inn

Paul's Motor Inn
Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This is an old fashioned motel located right downtown in Victoria and it's clean and cheap (for Canada). That made it perfect for us. We were on a 13,000 mile motorcycle trip across the USA and Canada and we like being able to ride up to our motel room, park right outside the door and unload our gear. We were within walking distance of all the sights in Victoria so we didn't have to jockey the motorcycle around a busy city. Prices in Canada are expensive for Americans, especially in the more popular cities, so finding a good place to stay for $100 a night is a real find. We liked this place and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Go4Red
There are newer reviews for Paul's Motor Inn

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Great retro motel in the heart of downtown Victoria. Location perfect for walking to good restaurants and neighbourhoods nearby. Simple rooms, perfect for a cheap stay when all you need is a place to sleep. Restaurant is ultimate 50's retro with a car hop! This will definitely become our family 'go-to' Victoria motel when what we are looking for is cheap and easy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I don't want to be super negative about this motel, because my husband and I have stayed here many times over the years and have not had any real complaints. This time however, things were really less than ideal.
Let me start by saying this is a great little place for an inexpensive stay, close to downtown, good restaurant, funky retro feel to it AND, they allow pets. At least they used to. Not sure about that anymore. And the staff are generally very friendly and helpful....BUT!
We just got back from an overnight stay in Victoria, as we live only a couple hours away. We had intended to stay downtown on the Inner Harbour, but got our wires crossed and ended up booking at Paul's. Into what they call a "city room". As in, ground floor, park out front, motel style, (which it is.)
Being on the main drag the traffic noise can be an issue. Also, being on the main floor means foot traffic noise outside the window pretty much all night long. Which I know, since I was awake ALL night long (okay, not their fault)
The room was less than clean, no remote for the TV, no real cups for coffee (PAPER cups? Really?) And when I asked for an extra pillow I was told by an unenthusiastic front desk worker that they "didn't have one". Hmmm. Okay. I can certainly understand how a hotel might not have pillows, so I asked for a remote and got one. DIdn't work.
I know I'm sounding picky but it was a lot of seemingly small things that added up to a not great stay, so I'm pretty irritated.
The bedding (sans extra pillow) was pretty bleak, bathroom somewhat grotty and in general the room was pretty tired, weirdly furnished and sort of uncomfortable. No light bulbs in the bedside lights!!! WHA?
Now that I'm done complaining I will say this. If you stay at Paul's the breakfasts are great in their very nice and sunny coffee shop. Excellent service in there. No complaints at all. Also, ask for a courtyard room and you should be okay. We have stayed in the courtyard most times we've been and it's very pretty and much quieter. Quite lovely in fact, like a different hotel altogether. Just make sure you bring your own lightbulbs, coffee cups, and pillows! Good luck!

Room Tip: If you must stay in the "city rooms" get one upstairs, or, as mentioned, ask for the court...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dsnewtime
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Paul's is very handy to downtown/China Town and to all the out of town places we wanted to go to (Cathederal Grove, French Beach) - right on the TransCanada Hwy.

The restaurant downstairs was fantastic and opened earlier so we ate there almost every day.

Not fancy but clean and comfortable and everything we needed!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lin B
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is my second time staying at Paul's - the rooms are clean, the value is good and the location was convenient for me. It is not an up-scale Inn (the pictures on their website are accurate), but if you're looking for value, request a room in the Courtyard. It is a very nice part of the Inn that you would never expect existed from looking at the front. It is quiet and I'm sure very beautiful in the summer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank MelZim
Reviewed September 29, 2011

For the price per night ($99) I was not at all impressed.This may be relatively inexpensive in Victoria, but I've been at comparably priced hotels that didn't seem so rough and difficult to sleep in. It is definitely on the lower end of motel's I've stayed at and had no A/C so it made our stay very uncomfortable. To open the window meant hearing the street noises and rowdy kids who were up all night. If we turned on the fan overhead, it was so loud no one could sleep. I didn't like that it also had no privacy for washing your hands or grooming. I could of slept in my car and been more comfortable.

Room Tip: Two queen bed rooms have lots of sleeping room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Just off the beaten track. A very short walk from the harbour. Great price. Clean rooms. Great service.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple