“Mexico in our neighbourhood”
Review of Hernandez Cocina - CLOSED

Hernandez Cocina
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Hello Folks,
I ran out of milk so I walked to the small store near my house on Bay street. Across the street I could hear some inviting Mexican music, more importantly, some wonderful smells were coming out of what once was a restaurant years ago. I ran across and walked into a kind of a make shift restaurant. The menu was written on some paper that was taped to the wall, large bags of rice where leaning against the wall and only a couple of tables in the place. I noticed that the cook had placed some colorful looking food items on a piece of paper on the counter for pickup. They looked wonderful and smelled even better so I asked what they were and ordered the same. I had my choice of either been or chorizo tostados and chose the former.
I carried them on the paper they were placed and carefully took them home. "delicious and fresh" came to mind. I could taste some mild spices with fresh mint, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro on these rounds mini, crunchy shells. They went down quickly. I'm now curious to go back and try the variety of items they had on the paper wall menu. Besides, I enjoyed hearing the beautiful accents of the servers and the cheerful music. I will return !!

There are newer reviews for Hernandez Cocina

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This place is depressing - the food is very good and authentic Central American cuisine (for the love of Pete, DO NOT refer to it as Mexican, or the chef will stop cooking for the day). They make a tasty burrito. However, the owners feel the need to vent their spleens online about how misunderstood they are, with long diatribes defending business decisions and why customers are wrong about almost everything. Tap water? WRONG. Substitutions? WRONG. Want to pay with anything other than cash? DOUBLE WRONG. Serving their very popular tacos at lunch? INFINITY WRONG. That's right: this is a restaurant that flat out refuses to prepare their most popular dish at lunch time because it takes too long. To be clear, this is not customers complaining about the wait: this is the chef unilaterally 86ing their most popular menu item at lunch because he feels it takes too long to make.

When you weigh the pros (food) versus the cons (service, bizarre business/menu decisions, no debit), I find that Taco Time in the Bay Centre Food Court is a far superior prospect. I can't wait to read their defense against "online haters and bloggers" ala Amy's Baking Co. on their website!

5  Thank LonelyIslander69
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Have to go here every time I visit Victoria. The food is so simple and delicious. The meat is locally sourced and the price is un beatable,

Try this place!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is an odd set-up in the hall of an office building, but worth tracking down. I had read their website and was curious. Food was outstanding and generous. We weren't put off by the lack of plates, it is all part of the experience.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Every time I go to Hernandez I can feel their stinginess and yet they like to give the impression that they are doing so much for the 'community.' Tonight was the last straw for me. I ordered a burrito and ate it there and was thirsty afterwards, so I went and asked the young and unfriendly girl at the cash register for a glass of water. She said they don't have any glasses, which was a lie because if you pay for one of their drinks they give it to you in a plastic cup. I left there very thirsty and feeling like I was not treated well. Also, if you ever want an extra wedge of lime or a little extra salsa... you have to get back in line and order it from the register and pay extra and that is truly for the tiniest wedge of lime and the littlest paper cup of salsa. They are extremely strict about all of this and they will only take cash payment. I have never been to any restaurant before where I could feel how ungenerous the proprietors are, such as Hernandez. All of that is really too bad because their food is good.

2  Thank Leah217