“Warning: Ask, Don't Assume”
Review of Subway

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Subway
Ranked #833 of 1,188 Restaurants in Victoria
Huntsville, AL
“Warning: Ask, Don't Assume”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My family and I stopped here for a quick lunch on the way to Tofino from Victoria. While the meal was exactly what you'd expect at a Subway, the service was anything but. The gentleman behind the counter seemed distracted when we came in, as if making our sandwiches -- note: regular everyday Subway sandwiches, nothing special -- was interfering with him holding the counter up by leaning against it. After the three sandwiches were made and he had successfully talked us into purchasing Subway drinks rather than the bottled drinks from the attached gas station "store", the worker rang us up... LITERALLY. What had earlier on the trip cost nearly $30.00 (US) this time cost between $40 and $45 (US).

I understand that the US Dollar is weaker than the Canadian Dollar at this point, and I was prepared to pay at the 1.02- or 1.03-to-1 that I'd been paying everywhere else on Vancouver Island. I was not prepared to pay the 1.25-to-1 that I was charged at Subway. When we asked about what we assumed was a mistake, we were informed -- not politely, I'll add -- that "the banks in Canada were charging more than the current exchange rate to take American Dollars." We tried to question this but, instead of helping us to understand, the man behind the counters simply ended the conversation by walking away.

When I entered Subway that day, I'd planned for a regular tuna sandwich. Instead, what I ended up with was a whole lotta bull.

If you dare to stop here and you're vacationing with American Dollars, ask about the exchange rate. Don't assume that you'll get fair treatment with it.

• Visited June 2011