“Intimate continental getaway in Victoria” 5 of 5 bubbles

Confit Food & Wine
Ranked #101 of 1,177 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: French, European, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Confit Food + Wine and is located on Oak Bay Ave in beautiful Victoria BC. Inspired by rustic French cooking, Chef Dwane shops daily to bring you the best that Vancouver Island has to offer. Whether it is meat from the local butcher, greens from farmers on Saanich Peninsula, or seafood from our waters. Check out Chef Dwane's fresh sheets and " What's Cookin" in our website to see what is growing in our garden and in season in the community. Reservations are recommended for our intimate dining room or our secret garden patio.
Victoria, BC, Canada
“Intimate continental getaway in Victoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I love to go to Chez Michel for quality French food. The restaurant is intimate and the staff have always been attentive. I feel like we're slipping off the Victoria streets into a bistro in France.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Bookstogo

Kelowna, Canada
“Awesome delicious love love love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

So delicious!
We eat here fairly often and I was shocked at the negative couple of reviews (and feel awful that it can take down the overall rating so much) so I am compelled to gush on here about how wonderful this restaurant is.
If you enjoy the French classics then this is the only place you should be going for French food.
In order of my favourites
1 - Lobster bisque....I have NEVER had bisque this good anywhere (not even in France)...like nowhere!
2 - Foie a Gras (fresh or the terinne)....if you know what this is then you have to try it at Chez Michel
3 - Rack of lamb (it will never been the same again after you've had it here you will almost certainly be disapointed whenever you have rack in any other restaurant)
4 - Dover Sole (if this is in stock then you are in luck....you can almost never find this in restaurants...even at C in Vancouver we have to call and request it in advance!)
5 - Coquille St Jaque
(Note I don't eat beef, but when I've dined with friends who do, they have raved about how wonderful the filet is).
Be prepared for an authentic French meal with lovely Edith Piaf in the background....I love that its classy dining room style with table cloths and refined service...really enjoyable!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank robotasaurus
victoria
“4 course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

and in true traditional style Michel comes out to check on the diners
one of the last French in town
try it

Visited April 2013
1 Thank stbpens
Banff, Canada
“Wonderful food, good service, pleasant ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We happened on this place by accident, but we will definitely return! Yes, it is expensive, and yes, the pace of service is leisurely. But surely you don't want to rush through food and wine as good as this?!

The crusty bread, made on site. The great options for wine by the glass -- try the Lake Breeze Seven Poplars Pinot Noir. The onion soup that will make you swoon. The tender Tournedos Rossini. The impeccable creme brulee. Wonderful food, worth lingering over in a cozy and charming setting on the high street of Oak Bay Village, a world away from downtown.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank banff
Victoria, Canada
“Cozy & Cheerful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Dine-Around is on in Victoria: a good excuse to try different restaurants. It was miserable and rainy outside but warm and welcoming in Chez Michel. We opted for the $40 Dine-Around menu, staring with a delightful lobster bisque, rich, creamy, and packed with flavour. I had the fillet mignon with bernaise sauce, my spouse the lamb au jus. My fillet arrived rare as requested but the lamb was not. Both plates came with carrots, green veg, and small potatoes, skin on. Just right! We ordered the Kettle Valley merlot, 1/2 bottle, which worked well. For dessert, my spouse had peach Melba and I had crème caramel. Both were average. To be truthful I was disappointed in the crème caramel custard base. We finished with espressos (average,no chocolate offered) and a Fladgate reserve port ($8)
Service was cheerful, prompt, and attentive.
We'll likely be back to try the regular menu another evening. It's a nice quiet little restaurant to enjoy a meal as a couple.