“Wonderful food, good service, pleasant ambience”
Review of Confit Food & Wine - CLOSED

Confit Food & Wine
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Confit Food + Wine and is located on Oak Bay Ave in beautiful Victoria BC. Inspired by rustic French cooking, Chef Dwane shops daily to bring you the best that Vancouver Island has to offer. Whether it is meat from the local butcher, greens from farmers on Saanich Peninsula, or seafood from our waters. Check out Chef Dwane's fresh sheets and " What's Cookin" in our website to see what is growing in our garden and in season in the community. Reservations are recommended for our intimate dining room or our secret garden patio.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We happened on this place by accident, but we will definitely return! Yes, it is expensive, and yes, the pace of service is leisurely. But surely you don't want to rush through food and wine as good as this?!

The crusty bread, made on site. The great options for wine by the glass -- try the Lake Breeze Seven Poplars Pinot Noir. The onion soup that will make you swoon. The tender Tournedos Rossini. The impeccable creme brulee. Wonderful food, worth lingering over in a cozy and charming setting on the high street of Oak Bay Village, a world away from downtown.

1  Thank banff

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Dine-Around is on in Victoria: a good excuse to try different restaurants. It was miserable and rainy outside but warm and welcoming in Chez Michel. We opted for the $40 Dine-Around menu, staring with a delightful lobster bisque, rich, creamy, and packed with flavour. I had the fillet mignon with bernaise sauce, my spouse the lamb au jus. My fillet arrived rare as requested but the lamb was not. Both plates came with carrots, green veg, and small potatoes, skin on. Just right! We ordered the Kettle Valley merlot, 1/2 bottle, which worked well. For dessert, my spouse had peach Melba and I had crème caramel. Both were average. To be truthful I was disappointed in the crème caramel custard base. We finished with espressos (average,no chocolate offered) and a Fladgate reserve port ($8)
Service was cheerful, prompt, and attentive.
We'll likely be back to try the regular menu another evening. It's a nice quiet little restaurant to enjoy a meal as a couple.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Our first visit to this French restaurant on Oak Bay Avenue. Somewhat shocked at the prices when we sat down. Service was very good and the quality of the food was fine -- but far from memorable. Given the wide range of restaurants in Victoria, we won't be rushing back here -even if the chef came out to thank us for coming.

2  Thank djp789
Michel F, Owner at Confit Food & Wine, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

First of all thank you for coming to try us out (my apologies for the delayed response, it has taken me time to get used to all of the online marketing and review sites that exist).
I am sorry that you did not feel that you had received good value, I understand how frustrating this can be.
If you could kindly email me to let me know (if you can recall) what you had ordered that you felt was inappropriately priced.
I would value this information and perhaps increase the portion size of the item or reduce the price.
Michel Fort
email: chezmichelrestaurant@hotmail.com

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We love Chez Michel. The restaurant's chef and owner, Michel Fort, is a master of French cuisine. I went recently with three friends, and we all decided on the Steak Frit. Two of us had it with a creamy Bernaise sauce, and the other two with pepper sauce. The steak was so tender you could cut it with a knife. The sauces were perfect. Michel comped us some with heavenly cassoulet. A Caesar salad topped it off. Go. This place is not to be missed. Thanks Michel. We'll be back!

1  Thank Wineguy321
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had been here twice a few years ago and felt the food was fine but the service terrible. But we stopped by again this past week and they have a new waiter who is very good so that aspect seems to have improved. The food is NOT nouvelle cuisine, this is authentic French food like you would get in a small town bistro traveling through the countryside in France. Michel is from Calais, and does what he knows very very well indeed. I had rack of lamb and my husband had a beef Tournedo, both were excellent! I also had fresh clams as an appetizer, cooked in a broth with onions which could have been an exquisite soup as well, it was so good. lots of fresh out of the oven baguettes as well, yum.