“Overrated by AAA”

Days Inn Victoria Uptown
Ranked #26 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I just came back from a one night stay at this motel and feel that it does not deserve the 3 star rating given by AAA for the following reasons.

1. The place is dated notwithstanding the renovations.
2. There were spiders between the ceiling and the wall.
3. No elevator and guests have to walk and carry the luggage through flights of very narrow stair ways.
4. The walls are so thin that one can hear the next room guest’s coughing and sneezing, and when next door guest closes their door, the wall shakes.
5. The radio clock in my room all of a sudden went out when I turned on my bed and as it turned out, both plugs for the bedside light and the radio were sitting between the mattress and the box spring which is a hazard.
6. When I phoned the front desk at 9pm concerning a problem with the shower(The cold water tap was jammed, and a member of my family almost got burned by the hot water). It rang without being answered. And when I went to the office in person, the clerk said she was the only one on duty and could not get to the phone. While trying to be helpful, was unable to offer us another room as the hotel was full, and indicated the earliest she can get a maintenance person would be 9m in the morning and suggested the family use the shower in the pool area. I offered to fix the problem myself if she can lend me some tools, she did not have any. She did phone me back later and said she found the maintenance person except I have already fixed the problem using my own tools.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank calvin75

Reviewed July 7, 2007

We booked this hotel mostly for money and location.What we got for our buck was pretty good. The rooms were a pretty good size and very clean. We had a kitchenette and it came with everything you would need for making meals after busy days of sightseeing.
It is also in a pretty good location ,close to downtown and shopping. The pool (indoor) was clean,with lots of fresh towels and was not too busy. The staff were very good-lots of smiles! We will be going back next spring and we will definitly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank swellmomma30
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I stayed at the Travelodge on Gorge Road in Victoria for one night because of business. The room was clean and it was fine for the one night. If I was staying in Victoria for a longer period of time, I would want to be downtown, but it was an easy busride (7 minutes, only 1 bus) from downtown. Staff were helpful. This is a motel not a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gottagettoNY
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Stayed here 3 nights while on a trip to buy a house in Victoria. The room was clean and though we made minimal use of the kitchenette, everything was clean and functional. The cleaning staff was friendly and efficient. We had some trouble the first night because the guests above us seemed to be holding a wrestling match at 1 AM. Many loud thumps and crashes that went on for at least an hour. A call to the front desk put a stop to that and it was quiet for the rest of our stay. The hotel is quite close to a pleasant walking/cycling trail that crosses the Gorge Waterway on a long trestle bridge and we had a very enjoyable evening walking across to West Victoria/Esquilmault and back. We're planning to stay here again when it comes time to move to our new house in August!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank TK124
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Mice?!! I don't think so. We've stayed here before and always find it to be a nicely maintainted property. For the price and location it's a good deal. Nice hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again nor would I hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 27, 2006

We took the kids for a getaway during March Break. Our stay was fabulous. The room we had was spacious and quite clean. The best part was the amazing view of the water and the downtown skyline in the distance.
My husband has a bad knee, so we were offered a room on the second floor-(no stairs required). He was happy he could make use of his laptop with the free WIFI.The kids really enjoyed the warm swimming pool and were thankful that the family dog could stay. It was too convenient with a park right across from our room.
The maids were very efficient, and the staff at the counter were all very pleasant, kind, and helpful.
We all want to return during the Summer Holidays !

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Quesnel, BC
Reviewed March 27, 2006

I am a frequent guest of the Travelodge in Victoria, and the poor reviews upset me. I have been staying at this hotel for over 3 years, as I travel to Victoria on business. The rooms have always been fresh and clean. I've always received excellent service, and get along well with the staff. The value of this hotel is a pleasant surprise, and you will notice it when you set foot in the lobby. The proximity to downtown is perfect for my needs.

It's unfortunate that their name is sometimes confused with a much different motel chain in the city, but I'm always sure to make certain that the colleagues I refer stay at the TraveLODGE.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business