“Not what we expected”

Howard Johnson Hotel Victoria
Ranked #43 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I cannot believe there are good reviews for this Howard Johnson on the Gorge area of Victoria. What supposed to be a 3 night stay was limited to 1 night due to lack of customer service from every department of the hotel. The room was rather expensive and out dated.
We took a chance to stay at a different hotel down the road and found it a little better. The price was more reasonable but again poor service.
The third night we took a chance near the Inner Harbor and found it very comfortable for the same price that we paid on the Gorge. This left us with bitter memories and never to stay on the Gorge again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HelenaG
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Hotel Victoria

Reviewed October 3, 2006

We had a group of 25 girls and stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel City Centre Victoria.
We had a problem with our luggage and I was shocked at how much time and effort the front desk put in to help us located our luggage. Not only they did evething possible to help us all out.
The staff really did care we were not just a Hotel guest, we were people and I was so impressed.
The Hotel had a pool, fitness room and restaurant so we were able to relax until our bags arrived. If it was not for the Staff and Hotel facilties it could of been a nightmare
Thanks to the staff it turned out to be a great trip

• Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank reallygreat
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We just returned from Victoria/Vancouver yesterday and had a fantastic time. We booked through the "Tourism Victoria" website and got a rate of CAD$49/night, which was a great deal. After checking in, the front desk clerk was happy to suggest options for whale-watching companies, and even booked one on our behalf (getting us a better deal). The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and had all the amenities we needed (TV, phone, wireless internet, A/C, etc). It was nothing fancy but more than satisfactory. It was also very close to downtown area. Our only disappointment was the A/C was a wall-mounted unit, which was noisy when running at night. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank CDN_Member
Reviewed June 5, 2006

Based upon earlier reviews, I too made a reservation at this hotel for our short stay during the Memorial day holiday. I would have to agree with alot of the more recent reviews, and found the hotel well below par. There was a bad odor in the room and the corridors. The size of the bathrooms reminded me of one's you'd normally see in Europe. Overall not a pleasant experience at all. The only comfort was that it was relatively cheap. In other words, you get what you pay for! (Though I do personally feel we could have got a better hotel for an extra $10-20 per night)

• Stayed: May 2006
13  Thank sr6266
Portland
Reviewed May 3, 2006

Ok....since there had been several reviews that are truthfully stated with this horrible hotel. I must admit myself with my girlfriend this hotel is a DUMP! It began with my girl friend searching for accommodation online because she thought there was decent reviews for this hotel and the rate it offered, we thought this would be a good bet. Forget about it....our garage is more appealing and atleast our remote works...our plumbing does not screetch and our garage aroma more appealing to ones use to...like exhaust. At this hotel we didn't know what the heck the smell was and imagine sleeping in a strange place supposingly a hotel with a smell that fummed with mixture of Greek..Italian..East Indian...Thai...Asain cooking. I guess if you can imagine a smell of grease, garlic, curry, celery, chicken..stirred in a confine atmosphere....AND THAT WAS LEFT IN OUR ROOM IN THE STOVE. For how long, you don't want to know but I can tell you flies flew out as we open the stove. You be the judge, is this a hotel? Why the hell did we end up paying and that was the manager question because we booked with Hotel. Unsatisfied with a horrific experience yet alone an uncunning response from the manager.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We stayed there because of the good reviews here at tripadvisor. As soon as we got there, we realized that was a serious mistakes. The reception desk was nice but very very slow. We waited at least ten minutes before getting someone's attentions to help us out. The rooms were okay but you can smell some odor. Turning on the fans help quite a bit. Sleeping at night was a big challenge. Doors were slamming back and forth. People and kids were running on the hallway all night long. People above us were up all night long so we can't get any sleep. They were walking and talking. People came visit them and more talks until the next morning. I guess we should have asked for the third floor which is the highest floor in the building. Overall, the experience wasn't any good. We would have to try to find some place else next time going to Victoria!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maple Valley, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2006

We also just came back after a stay at the Howard Johnson and like the person before me, I chose this hotel based on the rating and past visitor reviews. The hotel at first appearance is dreary, old, and unclean. The front desk personnel were just as dreary. The rooms smelled and the beds looked unwelcoming and felt just as bad. I too was afraid to lie down on the bed and see a bug. The rooms were very stuffy so you would need to turn on the fan but it was so loud and had poor circulation that you just rather turn it off. I have done extensive traveling and have been able to find hotels that are reasonably priced but yet are quite welcoming. I am not a picky tourist and can easily go with the flow but I also recognize quality. Quality can be had at eighty dollars a night. Howard Johnsons gives you a fair nightly rate but extremely bad quality. Also, the City Centre that they add to the name of the hotel is misleading. It is not within walking distance of the downtown area. Luckily we took our car because you would need to take a taxi every time you go out. There are not many nearby restaurants and some of the unsavory characters I saw coming out of the bar looked well...unsavory. Also, the pool water looked cloudy. I didn't want my son to go in but he insisted yet he came out ok. Overall, I recommend spending thirty dollars more and with that getting a restful night's sleep.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member