“Disappointing”

Howard Johnson Hotel Victoria
Ranked #43 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed September 25, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights early in September 2008. Overall it was a disappointment. The hotel is dated and overall not very clean. It is an old building and desperately needs renovation. The indoor pool was not inspiring and you need to report first to the reception to get a towel.

The location is nowhere near to the “City Centre”. It is a solid 40 minutes walk and through uninteresting, and actually not very safe area. We normally walk a lot while on vacation and don’t mind being a bit away from the action. But after one try, we used the car.

The free internet provided in the lobby has only one computer. It only worked on first evening, than it broke, and we were told that because it is weekend it will not be repaired until Monday. So goodby free internet.

The room was just barely cleaned. Harder to access areas and corners were actually filthy. The sliding window could not be closed. Luckily we were on the upper floor. Walls are thin and depending on luck who your neighbor is, you may, or may not have a good sleep.

There is a restaurant adjacent to the hotel, which actually looked decent, but we did not use it.

Overall a big disappointment, and it was not that cheap. To add insult to injury, the hotel charged us on checkout an extra $2.49 per night for energy charge! While not much in overall cost, it is very annoying. What else are they going to add? A cleaning fee? Hot water use?

We will not stay there again and would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2008

Despite reviews, we stayed at this hotel over the Labour day long weekend. We were in Victoria for a special function and this was not far from our venue.
I was very happy with our stay. We arrived early 1:30, I called from the Ferry Terminal to request early check in -- they said not a problem your room has been cleaned. Our room was a suite (#301) with all the emenities needed. The bed was comfortable, the room was fresh and updated and did not have any musty smell mentioned in any of the other reviews?? Free Internet in the lobby. The hotel appeared at full capacity and the noise level was never a problem. We did not eat in the resteraunt/pub nor swim in the pool or use the sauna so unsure of what they were like.
The only drawback would be...location. If you want to be walking distance from downtown, it's too far. Driving however is less than 10 minutes.
We would stay there again.......

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I last stayed at this hotel October and November 2007. This is perhaps the WORST hotel I have experienced in my life.

First off, if you are a business traveler, do not stay at this hotel. Consistently, I had loud parties near my room and at one point, a group of teenagers playing guitar in the hallway right outside my hotel room at 11 PM.

During the first incident, I called the front desk and complained about the noise as there were two loud parties on either side of my room. The desk clerk said "Unfortunately, you have two large parties near your room". I told her I realized that but that I had a reasonable expectation to be able to sleep; I had to work in the morning. I demanded to speak with the manager and she said that he was at home sleeping. I told her to call him; if I wasn't able to sleep in his hotel and she wouldn't do anything about it, he wasn't going to be able to sleep either. In any case, the manager REFUSED to speak to me.

I was at this hotel for 3 weeks. During the end of the 2nd week, I found fleas hopping around my room. I got bit by the fleas. I own NO pets and rarely come into contact with animals because I am quite allergic to pet hair. I informed the front desk that there were fleas all over my room and they refused to change my room; merely sent housekeeping up to "change the sheets" because apparently changing the sheets would cure the flea problem.

Also, I was there on a weekly rate. Apparently housekeeping doesn't clean the room daily if you are paying a weekly rate. So, considering the flea problem, I think they LEAST the could have done was clean the room each day since they refused to change my room.

In short, this hotel is great for people on a tight budget that do not mind getting bit by fleas or listening to unkempt hippies play guitar in the hallway at 11 PM at night.

However, if you are like me, and expect a hotel to have SOME kind of brand standards regarding hotel cleanliness, pest control, and room assignment for business travelers, do not stay at this hotel.

And if you have a complaint, you are pretty much out of luck. The front desk staff are unfriendly (I guess they don't like hearing that their rooms have fleas) and the manager is as useless as "tatters" in a bowl. The Howard Johnson's brand should be ashamed to have this hotel carry it's branding.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank albinogypsy
Reviewed July 7, 2008

This hotel was extremely dirty and unkept. Needs renovations! We stayed with our two small children and I found a black capsule on the ground that my son could have easily put into his mouth. Also found a sewing needle on the carpet between our two double beds. The bathroom smelled of urine and the shower curtain had clusters of mold growing on it. I called front desk to ask to have a bottle of milk warmed up for my son and they were unable to help until I pleaded to use their staff microwave. The room was full of dust, our noses kept plugging up and although we had a non smoking room it smelled of cigarettes. The matresses are old and not supportive at all. The pillows are lumpy and smelly. Don't stay at this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank VacationCritic1
Reviewed February 24, 2008

This is a 2 start hotel- please don't book it expecting 5 star amenities! Seems to be what some people are doing.

Room was clean, a bit on the small side, but we had 2 double beds. Three people were comfortable. Decor is a bit dated but typical of a 2 star hotel. The hotel has a pool and fitness area, and sauna. Also, there is a restaurant and a bar right off the lobby. A subway, pizza place, and chinese restaurant were 2 blocks away- we walked. Victoria downown would probably be a 20 minute walk, so best done by car or bus.

Overall, great value for your money! Staying right downtown can be convenient but noisy. This is a quiet area of town, and the room rates reflect the location.Good value for your dollar.

POSITIVE NOTE: SUPER COMFY BEDS. Really, better sleep here than at a lot of higher end hotels! They were very soft and comfy. Not too soft, Just right. I felt like Goldilocks.

Complaints: Room walls were a bit thin. Didn't bother us til about 8 am, when people started checking out. Not the hotels fault- young children were banging on doors as they went by. We were on third floor near elevator- as for a room down the hall if this concerns you.

Other than that, nothing! HOT showers, good pool, would definitely stay here again. Again- this IS a 2 star hotel! Amenities aren' great, and don't expect the empress decor...but starr were AMAZING! They offered us a free room upgrade, were very polite, offered directions around town, etc. Lovely hotel.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed September 25, 2007

The manager "upgraded" us to a suite. When we got into the room, it smelled like rotting fish. We turned on the loud AC unit hoping it would go away and left to explore the city. We came back with the smell seemingly gotten worst. Called the front desk to request for another room and immediately and quite arrogantly informed us that they're completely booked with no apologies for the discomfort we were experiencing nor were any options given. Instead, he pretty much blamed it on us for waiting for a long time between the time we checked in and the time I was calling and that they would not be able to sell the room anymore by that time. I felt like this was a really bad customer service, that is, he's more concerned about the room not getting sold over the customer's discomfort. Only after I gave my comments back to him did he suggest that I speak with the manager the next day. Also, the bathroom smelled like they were cleaned with rags soaked in urine. And when I took out a pan to boil water, the pan still had food crust in it. The sink still had bits of bacon meats in it and there were only 3 TV stations at the most that were actually viewable. The electrical outlets are so bad that my phone charger plugs kept falling off of it. I've stayed in discount hotels before but never with this type of experience. STAY OUT OF THIS HOTEL!!!! FOR ANOTHER 10-20 bucks, you can get a better and enjoyable place to stay and enjoy your vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank yukhojo
Reviewed June 25, 2007

When our original hotel booking had a lacrosse team spending the weekend, we decided to seek another place. This Howard Johnson is near "The Gorge" area of Victoria, is quite clean, has a friendly staff, and is on the way to Butchart Gardens, about 20 minutes north. If you come to Victoria with a car, it's much less expensive to stay out of the main "tourist trap" as the locals call the downtown area. Of course, they have lovely hotels down there . . . but this is so convenient, has free internet, warm and friendly staff . . . so I recommend it as an option for those a bit more concerned about the price of accommodations. With the US dollar going for all of $1.03 Canadian as of June, 2007, it makes getting deals harder. We liked this place just fine and found convenient parking downtown when needed. We also enjoyed getting off the beaten path and watching hang gliders, kite boarders, and dog walkers at Beacon Hill Park.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple