“Everything you hope for in a B&B.”

Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #22 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
ERChief
“Everything you hope for in a B&B.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

This was our second visit to Hemingway's and we will be back. Location, cleanliness, and food were all great. Our hostess was also a delight. Being in Victoria was an added pleasure.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

My wife and I just visited Victoria with my mother-in-law and stayed in the Hemingway Suite. It was plenty roomy for the three of us, by using a pullout couch to compliment the large bed. It had a nice quite balcony as well.

It is just the right distance from downtown if you like it a little quieter. The area is interesting with the water nearby.

We enjoyed nice walks in the mornings before we ate and set out. We didn’t do it, because we discovered it too late, but there is a nice boardwalk along the water nearby that will take you all the way to the heart of Victoria, in a pleasant stroll.

Breakfasts were great and the hostess, Ilona, was super helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
petsherk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

We were warmly received my Ilona- the hostess and owner-made to feel at home- the place is immaculate- the room was fantastic- a fridge int he room, private bathroom, lovely garden outside. the breakfast was fabulous- and Ilona had maps and advice as to what to see in the area. a short walk to the sea- and 6 minute ride to downtown.quiet area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

A beautiful home from home within walking distance to the sea. Ilona the hostess was wonderful and kept me fed and watered for 5 days. I stayed in the Key West Room, which had wonderful views and a huge comfortable bed. Breakfasts each morning were wonderful and Ilona was very accomadating.

Stayed August 2008
BC.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

We had a great time in Victoria, BC. My husband planned this trip to celebrate my 50th.birthday.We were looking for an escape from our normally very busy lives. We had never stayed at a B&B,
& thought it would be a nice change from hotel. Hemingway,s by the Sea was wonderful!!
Ilona was a very gracious host, she treated us more like old friends then visitors. Her home is beautiful, clean & quiet.
Every morning we woke-up to the great aroma of breakfast being served.
She offered us great advise on where to go, & what to see for our 3 day stay in Victoria.
In the afternoon we would enjoy the short walk to the ocean.
Staying at the Hemingway's by the Sea was truly a wonderful experience. We highly recommend you try it.

Stayed May 2008
seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

The one bad review had me concerned, but one learns to take such things with a grain of salt. I had contacted another b&b and the owner seemed rather bored. Ilona on the other hand was very helpful and friendly on the phone. We booked the Serengeti and Hemingway suites and when we got there, Ilona kindly offered an extra room for my mother at no charge, but we didn't use it because we didn't want to take advantage of her hospitality. The suites were very large and comfortable and the Hemingway had a nice balcony. They're nicely decorated with none of that creepy lacy victorian stuff.
Breakfast was wonderful with organic coffee that was the best I've had in a long time. The table was very nicely set and there was a nice variety of freshly prepared dishes including omelettes and crepes. Somehow Ilona remembered a remark I made the night before about Earl Grey tea and she presented me with my own pot of it at breakfast, which was wonderful. I still can't get over the coffee!Ilona also made special crepes for the little ones in our party. Her assistant whose name I'm sorry I don't remember was very helpful. When we left, there were hugs all around and we took pictures too. While it's not exactly by the sea, it's on a very quiet street and is a nice little walk to a boating pier (look out for the friendly seal!). There is a nice Ethiopian restaurant called the Blue Nile nearby too. If you're leaving in the morning to go to Port Angeles, make sure to make a reservation for the ferry. That way you can enjoy the great breakfast and not have to rush to be the last one squeezed in. ILona is also refurbishing the deck to make it more comfortable for her guests. All in all, a very nice, comfortable stay and I would go back!

Stayed April 2008
Kolo, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

My new bride and I were looking for a cozy, relaxing place to stay that would have lots of great amenities but still be rather reasonable for our budget. I read one scathing review of Hemingways on this site, but all the other reviews were very good, and the rates were very reasonable compared to other B&Bs in the Victoria area, and the room (Hemingways Suite) had everything I was looking for. So I called and booked my 5 night stay. The innkeeper, Ilona, was very helpful, and I was actually delighted to hear a German accent! Amber and I are non-drinkers, and Ilona of course switched the champagne in our package for something non-alcoholic.
We had a beautiful wedding on April 5th, and arrived at Hemingways the next day. The whole honeymoon was a surprise for Amber, and she was delighted as we drove up and were welcomed inside, and I was very relieved and surprised :-) The room was spacious, had a walk-in closet, a huge two-person tub with double showerheads, and the most water pressure I've ever experienced! The decorations in the room were tasteful, and gave the whole room a lovely ambiance. The meals in the morning were more than enough to eat (a big plus in my book!) and delicious. We had crepes, french toast, egg dishes, and always with a large selection of fruit, tea, coffee, homemade wheat bread, jam, etc.
Ilona was so helpful with sight-seeing plans and showing us on the map which routes to take for a more scenic trip. We were more than pleased in every way with her hospitality and company. However, she was very careful to give a honeymooning couple as much space and alone time as they wanted. She has been there at Hemingways for 10 years this year, and we could very much see that she loves people and loves what she does.
I was pleased to find that the bad review of Hemingways was very flawed and due to misunderstanding on the part of the people who wrote it. There are just some people that are impossible to please. Ilona was very respectful of our privacy, room service was provided, and there is a placard in the bathroom explaining how room service is conducted. There are two thermostats in the room, and wood was provided if we wanted to have a fire.
Hemingways was only a 5 minute stroll to McCauly Point, a harbor and park with a walking trail right along the ocean and only 3 minute drive to Saxe Point, a beautiful park with lots of trails and flowerbeds, right on the ocean. Blockbuster, Pizza Hut, Pizza Factory, A&W, Quiznos, and several very nice restaurants were only about 3-10 minute drive.
We had a wonderful time, and hope that this review might help you in your decision.

• Liked — Hospitality and accomodations and filling, delicious food
  • Disliked — We were spoiled by the service and the wonderful food ;-) really, we couldn't think of anything we didn't like.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Victoria
English Inn
#1 of 2 in Esquimalt
James Bay
Fisher House Bed and Breakfast
Rosemary Inn
#1 of 1 in Esquimalt

Been to Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!