“"Tranquility, Beauty, Elegance, Superlative Hospitality"”

Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #24 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Hemingway House encompasses all of the qualities of Superlative Accomodation. The Serengeti Suite provided a totally beautiful, tranquil, elegant and unique oasis to rest, relax, restore and prepare one for the ongoing exploration of the lovely Esquimalt area of Victoria and the surrounding areas.

The Hostess iIlona, is a wonderfully warm, multi- talented lady with the ability to provide tastefully equipped accomodation, delicious and scrumptious breakfasts, a multitude of travel tips, ideas of places to explore, shop, hike, have fun and build priceless memories.

The Gardens are totally tranquil, with a riotious display of Flowers, Plantings, Statuary and little nooks and Decks where one is totally welcome to just hang out and relax and laze in the Sun.

The area with its close proximity to the City of Victoria which is virtually within walking distance and the endless and breathtaking Ocean and Mountain vistas is truly another world.

Hemingway House was a truly memorable experience and one it is hoped will be experienced again and again.

Room Tip: Beautiful spacious Rooms, with large windows displaying a panoramic view of the area. A quiet an...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Wow, thanks for the great write up. You made me feel very special. I love to hear when someone enjoys my B&B that much. Your comments were wonderful and so rewarding. Many thanks, Ilona!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I wish I could say lots of great stuff about this place because the owner really tries hard to be accommodating and inviting. Let me preface this with the fact that we are not b&b people. So maybe my expectations were too high, expecting it to be on the same par as a hotel. Overall, the house is dated with carpets circa 1980 (we had the same carpet in our first house we purchased in 1981) The place could use some sprucing up with less knick-knacks and more opened space.

First off, we were told to take off our shoes before entering the house because the carpets had recently been shampooed. This is something I am not supposed to do--go barefoot because of an arch problem. We had to do so during our entire two-day stay, which was very uncomfortable and just annoying.

While my husband was outside, Ilona asked me to sign a computer printout. When I looked at it, she told me not to pay attention to the prices below because if I had booked the place with her instead of Expedia, the room would have been cheaper. Not something Expedia would like to hear--nor I. She was taken aback that I didn't have my papers in hand. They were with my husband. We had just left a cruise, taken a ferry and driven two hours. The last thing I was thinking about were papers.

We booked the Serengetti suite. It was old, worn and not very clean. I think Ilona really works hard to make her place nice, but I felt like I was visiting a relative and getting the guest room. The bathroom was ensuite, which had very scratchy towels, like they had been dried outside instead of in a dryer. We were afford a quarter of a soap bar and shampoos in store-bought containers with a note written on masking tape.

The kitchen was fully equipped. However, unbeknownst to us, the refrigerator was not turned on, so our milk and cheese products were not cool when we used them the next day. Both my husband and I found bugs (dead gnats) in our mugs/glasses. I can only believe that this room hadn't been used in a while, so it hadn't been checked for the little things that make a stay enjoyable.

On the good side, breakfast was wonderful--Ilona's crepes are great. She's definitely a good cook and loves to have people visiting. BTW, from what we could see from the hallway, the other rooms did look nice. Guest bathrooms are in the hallway and look clean as well. Maybe we just had one of those "comedy of errors" experiences.

Again, Ilona really works hard and I commend her for that. I don't think I could do what she does, but then again, I am not in the b&b business. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend this place and we probably won't go to another b&b again. Just stick with hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JJGoodell

I am so sorry to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. We try really hard to give our guests the best experience we can and feel terrible when this does not happen. We would be thrilled if you could come back for a stay at our expense and perhaps we can do better. Contact me if you would like to do this. We receive so many great comments, it is upsetting to get a negative one. Hopefully we will see you again. Ilona

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Hemmingways-By-The-Sea in August and enjoyed it thoroughly. We had the Hemmingway Suite, which is large and well decorated. But what we enjoyed the most was the wonderful atmosphere created by our hostess, Ilona. She is a delightful person, very helpful, and an excellent cook. Each morning she prepared a filling and elegant meal, served with casual formality, all different and delicious - what a way to start the day! She provided us with sight seeing hints, maps, called for reservations, etc. And we felt relaxed enough to sit and talk with her and the other guests in the evening before going to bed. This was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate what we do to try and help our guests. Your comments make me feel great and it gives me energy to get back to work after a long day. Thanks so much!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

This B & B was a wonderful place for our family to come together in Victoria. Each of the three rooms we booked were clean, beautifully decorated and perfectly suited for each family member; grandparents, parents and children. The common spaces, both in the house and garden were lovely and perfect for family gatherings. Seeing the seals, sea otters, and the herons at the cove only a short walk away was very special. And our caring hostess Iiona, where to begin! She took care of all of our needs from where to park in the city, what sights to see, carefully prepared and delicious breakfasts, and even a special suprise of ice cream for our daughter upon arriving "home" one day. You will certainly feel the comfort of a wonderful home at Hemingways By the Sea! We do not hesitate to recommend this B & B to other travellers.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind comments. They made our day!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the Serengetti suite, with two adults and a 14 year old son. Very comfortable family room withy plkenty of space.

Easy drive into Victoria for the day and evening and a lovely home. Ilona has a wonderfull personality and looks after you well, without being imposing, and breakfast was excellent and different - lots of choice and flexibility.

Thoroughly recommended and we would stay again with no issues

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Wow, glad you enjoyed your stay so much. We love to hear comments back like this. It makes our day. Come back soon...it was a pleasure to have you in our house!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

The B&B is lovely, spacious and clean. The hostess is so pleasant, warm and inviting, you can't help but feel like a cherished guest. To top it off we enjoyed a delicious French toast breakfast with fresh fruit, eggs, croissants and raisin bread. Definitely a B&B I would go back again in a heart beat!

• Stayed: July 2012
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Seeing that you feel cherished makes us feel wonderful. We are so glad that we could make your trip a bit better and would love to have you back again real soon. We love happy guests! Glad you enjoyed the breakfast! Ilona

Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was a charming place. Just a block to two from the sound with a pleasant park to picnic in. It was about 4 blocks from the bus line to downtown Victoria. This was a boon for someone who drove route 3 across BC. Madame Ilona went out of her way to make our stay comfortable and relaxing. If you miss Hemmingway's by the Sea you miss the best part of Victoria, BC.
Bonnie & Leo-Chicago

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you Bonnie and Leo for the nice comments about our B&B. We are so glad that we were able to make your stay in Victoria memorable. We work hard to make sure our guests thoroughly enjoy themselves, so when guests take time to respond, we really appreciate it. Thanks. Ilona