Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn
Hotel Rialto(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$137
  • Restaurant
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$151
$141
$184
$70
$220
$211
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Coast Victoria Hotel & Marina by APA(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$160
Embassy Inn(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$124
$115
Days Inn Victoria Uptown(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$93
Hotel Zed(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$135
$95
Hotels.com
$168
getaroom.com
All reviewsb bernest hemingwayprivate bathroomdowntown victoriaprivacycomfort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to book Hemingways by the Sea for a 6 night stay. We had rented a car, so traveling to Victoria was not an issue. Hemigways is located in the Esquimalt area and a very short walk to the ocean. Walk one block west and 2 blocks south and you will arrive at a walking path that runs along the oceanside. If you walk one block east you will enter the naval base, so the road that runs in front of the B&B is extremely quiet.

We arrived prior to the check-in time and warmly greeted by Ilona with cake and tea. We stayed in the Kenya room - first room to the left at the top of the stairs. We could see the ocean from our window and Ilona had explained to us prior to booking that the B&B is not oceanside. However, we were close enough to enjoy the sea gulls and deer in the area.

This was my husband's second stay in a B&B and he thought the room was a fairly good size. The room also had a mini fridge, so that was nice to keep our drinks cool. Room also came with a table, 2 chairs, TV, cable and internet connection. Bathroom was straight across the hall from the bedroom and was for our exclusive use. Hubby would have preferred to have an in-suite bathroom, but it really wasn't an issue for our stay. I just reminded him that we weren't staying in a hotel - it is someone's home. The Kenya bathroom has a tub, shower, hair dryer and basic ammenities. Water pressure was excellent.

Ilona provided us with bottles of water on our first excustion and we re-filled them every morning. She also provided maps on how to get to our destinations in the quickest time possible. She recommended a few things to do and see and was a gracious and friendly hostess. The breakfasts were excellent. There were 3 nicely set tabled areas and on some of the mornings, all 3 were in full use with the guests. Breakfast is set for 9:00am, however Ilona was flexible when some of the guests came down a little early for breakfast. She also has a nice patio area to sit and take your coffee before breakfast. Over the course of our stay we ate toast, raisin toast, scrambled eggs, pancakes, crepes, french toast, rice pudding, hard boiled eggs, and an assortment of fresh fruit. When I explained that I didn't like pancakes, Ilona immediately said she would make me some eggs or something else that I may like. I declined and told her the toast was good enough, but she worried that I would still be hungry :-) Really a lovely woman.

We really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return to this B&B

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Can_Cancun
Ilona154945, Manager at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

We are so glad you had such a great time at our bed and breakfast. We look forward to your return so we can pamper you again! Ilona

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Clean and lovely home, with a warm welcome from the owner/hostess. She was very accommodating about breakfast and helpful planning our visit to beautiful Victoria! We loved the ocean view from our room. Our private bath was across the hall but not a problem.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

It always makes me feel like the hard work is al worth it when I get a review like this. It is wonderful to be appreciated. Thanks, Ilona

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Ilona became a fast friend. We really enjoyed her home,breakfasts and guidance of the area in Victoria. She made several very good suggestions. Her home is very cozy, private and comfortable. She goes beyond to make her guests feel at home and loved. I would highly recommend staying with her for a relaxing RR time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for your kind remarks. They are sincerely appreciated. Perhaps we will see you back here again. Ilona

Reviewed June 19, 2011

We spent an awesome long weekend in Victoria, at Hemingways by the sea!
my wife and i had flown in and rented a car for our 30th anniversary!
we thoroughly enjoyed our time spent on the Island, in no small part due to our lovely host Ilona!!
from the beautifull Hemingways suite we stayed in, with its comfy king bed , private balcony, and huge bath, with soaker tub, to the scrumptious breakfast she prepared, with fresh fruit , omelets and french toast!
Ilona is such a gracious host, with a great knowledge of the area and so many helpful tips on attractions and activitys. we had rented a car for our stay, and she recommended a visit to a beach , up island. it was simply beautifull!

Thank you Ilona for making our visit a special experience, and one we'll never forget!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlbertaTinman

We are always thrilled to hear such positive feedback. We are glad we made you weekend better. We look forward to your next vist. Ilona

Reviewed February 17, 2011

Our stay of Hemingway's By the Sea was a wonderful experience for all of us. My mom, my 4 sisters, my 2 aunts and myself traveled to Victoria to celebrate our mom's 80 birthday. Our stay at Hemingway's was a highlight of our trip. Ilona was extremely gracious and welcoming. We felt like her best friend. The rooms were beautiful and relaxing and the breakfast was delicious. Ilona went out of her way to pamper us. Thank you for a wonderful experience in Victoria.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Ilona154945, Owner at Hemingways By the Sea Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2011

It was indeed my pleasure to have such a wonderful group of people visit my place. I am glad that I could contribute to making your mom's 80th birthday such a success. Please come back again. Ilona