“a little disappointing”

Ranked #56 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Osoyoos
“a little disappointing”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We love character inns--we go out of out way to stay at them. The amethyst was lovely on first appearance, but once inside the room kinda average. Perhaps we went in with too high expectations but the room really was just old not really special like the Gatsby Inn. The breakfast was excellent but the hosts made you feel at little on edge. They tried to be unobtrusive and wound up just making us feel unwelcome. This was in no way their intent but I would have liked to feel comfortable enough to converse with them and other guests, this was not the case. The other problem was the location. We had a vehicle, but what I love about Victoria is that it is such a great walking city but we were a little too far out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deb F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I found this place by chance on the internet and we were encouraged by the reviews on Tripadvisor. This beautifully preseved establishment is charming and period details are gorgeous. Do NOT be put off it not being in Down-Town Victoria - there is plenty of transport into DT which is no more than 10 mins away by bus. We even walked into DT area. The Rocklands area where the B&B is located is also of historic importance. The B&B is spacious, immaculately kept, rooms are beautifully decorated. Breakfast is lovely - we had omlette and home-made scones washed down with fresh fruit and fresh orange juice. A glass a sherry provided by the host was a fitting end to long day of touring and sightseeing. I cannot find the words to explain how helpful and accomodating the B&B hosts were. One of the best places I have stayed in (and I have travelled quite a bit). Top quality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Camrose
Reviewed June 4, 2012

If you like to stay in beautiful old homes that have stood the test of time, this is a wonderful inn with incredible detail and lasting quality that you will enjoy. An automated gate leads to private grounds. During our stay Serina, Olivia and Dennis made us feel very welcome, offering delicious three course breakfasts each morning. A beautiful staircase lead to our elegant room decorated with antiques, a period fireplace and a very comfortable bed. A short distance by car to the inner harbor and all attractions. Victoria is a beautiful city and this home with all its history is definitely one of its jewels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AllysonLea
Port Alberni
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Amethyst Inn for one night on May 12, 2012. The hostess, Olivia, was very gracious and attentive. She made arrangements for our breakfast to be served to us a little later than usual in order to accommodate my husband's schedule after running the Oak Bay 1/2 marathon. Breakfast was served for us after he finished and we ate at 10:00 a.m. instead of earlier. Also, my in-laws stopped by for Mother's Day as well as to cheer on my husband. Olivia welcomed them with scones and coffee since they joined us while my husband and I ate breakfast. And the breakfast was absolutely delicious! Highly recommended and they delivered 100%

The location was perfect as the start-line for the 1/2 marathon was only 2 km down the road, which was extremely convenient for my husband to just jog to the start-line.

We had a very good sleep in the quaint little room, which came with it's own little fridge and onsuite full bathroom.

If you enjoy old-style charm, an amazing breakfast, and delux service then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: We had a very quiet stay in the room we had, so I have nothing to report regarding this venue.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3or4Cats
Vancouver
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Back visiting my home town and I loved staying here. The owners were new at the time and they were very particular about good service and the home is a gorgeous piece of history in Victoria. A short walk from downtown and lots of free parking. Something different for visitors to Victoria away from the Inner Harbour.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TKEVancouver
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Booked at the last moment and managed to get the last room available.. the Windsor Room. (Funnily enough my husband and I were engaged at the real Windsor Castle in England so..!) This Inn was absolutely spotless. I cannot think of any other word to describe how immaculate this Inn was. The wooden staircases & finishings looked as though they were freshly oiled, the carpets were freshly vacuumed, the furniture and mantelpieces were shining and the gorgeous stained glass windows were glistening in the light... we arrived in the early evening and were greeted at the door to this amazingly beautiful old historic home. We were told we could have tea, cookies or even a sherry should we wish to. We were quite tired so went to our room where it was so surprisingly quaint! There were books to read, chocolates, and plenty of historical articles about the Inn; even a television if you like. The soaker tub was giant and everything was very comfortable and again, so so clean. The one and only somewhat negative comment we may have is that there wasn't air conditioning(which can be quite noisy some places) but it was rather warm & our window could not be opened, which I would probably prefer to AC anyways... They did provide another fan along with a ceiling fan but unfortunately the were quite powerful so made it cooler yes, but hard to sleep. It was a beautiful location with an amazing story behind it all, a newspaper baron and his wife had made this home(wait, another funny coincidence my husband and I both are in the newspaper industry too!). It has a coded front gate, which is a nice touch and made us feel secure in a place we don't know very well. Breakfast was served in the dining room and what a gorgeous dining room at that. We were served with proper china cups and saucers by a lovely gentleman who could not have had better manners. We enjoyed a fresh fruit bowl that was excellent and the coffee & tea was piping hot and always refilled. We were then given the most melt-in-your-mouth fresh baked croissant! It was like nothing you've ever eaten (and I've been to France!)! The last course was a half fresh bagel with whipped cream cheese and fresh salmon on top... absolutely scrumptious! We were sorry we had to leave right away and couldn't linger to enjoy exploring the Inn a little more.. but managed to take some pictures of the decor that is so cozy and welcoming. I would love to stay there in the winter sometime to experience the coziness of the antique fireplaces. It was a lovely stay and as I finish writing this I can see that I couldn't refrain from using the word 'absolutely'.. so that is my title "Absolutely best in service". You'll see! thank you for a lovely time, Amethyst Inn!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris F
Xiamen
Reviewed September 19, 2011

i had a holiday in Canada for about one week with my friends. we have a very nice trip in the friendly county. it is not only for the beautiful scenery and the rich cultural, but also we have a deep impression in Amethyst Inn. the surrounding of the room we live is really queit so that we can have a good rest after one day's sightseeing and shoping,the bed they provide is big and comfortable! What's more ,the breakfast include in the cost of living is quite delicious. Besides, the scenery arround is ,you can have a walk or swimming in the hotel after meals. Amethyst Inn have a good location. we have take bus to the destination easily.

Room Tip: Just chose the room by yourself, Amethyst Inn will not make you disappoint.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends