“One of the best!”

Amethyst Inn at Regents Park
Ranked #55 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Fabulous Victorian home located in a lovely,convenient area of the city. Breakfasts are amazing and elegant. The very personable manager offered many great recommendations and worked hard to make our stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2011

I came to Victoira for an conference meeting for 2 days. I normally dont stay in B&B but my colleague find here online and talk me into staying here.
We emailed and called which took a while to get a final qoute with the date and final pirce we asked.
We was told the inn is under new ownership now and was closed for 3 months for renos. And now they just opened , luckily we are the first customers they had!! We booked a cheaper room but was upgraded the suite because the inn was empty.
The new owner gave me 15% disscount on their reg rate. They are humble nice people I did enjoy their company during the best B&B breakfast served I've seen.
The inn is surrounded by mansions, fireplaces with Minton's tiles, ceiling rosettes, and original ceiling and wallpapers.....different but great experience for us.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BrettPeterson
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Just read another review which says it is now closed, but I'll leave my review anyway.

We stayed here for one night in mid September as part of our honeymoon. We paid for one of the cheaper rooms but on arrival the welcoming hostess offered us a free upgrade as her more expensive room was vacant. So that was a good start. However, that was the high point of our stay. On the surface, the hotel seemed to look in good condition and well presented. However, as you look more closely you start to notice the problems. Just little things really but it is beginning to show its age. One major problem I had was the shower. It was over a bath, but the bath was a free standing one. So as a result there was a shower curtain all the way round it. The problem with this is that where the taps are, they had just cut the shower curtain, which meant water leaked down the back of the bath. Their solution? Throw an old mouldy towel down the back of the bath to collect the spillage and hope nobody notices it. It wasn't nice.

Another issue I had was with the jet baths. Our room didn't have one, which didn't bother me to be honest. But the one above our bed in the room upstairs did. It literally shook our room when it was being used. Very annoying at 1145 at night and at 7am in the morning.

My final moaning - when we came down for breakfast we were sat at a table set out for 4. Shortly after another couple came down and the hostess sat them at the table with us. I was literally rubbing elbows with a stranger. Although this wouldn't be a problem for some, I think all of us felt quite awkward. The hostess knew how many people were in the hotel, and had even asked us to say when we would be coming down for breakfast. There was plenty of empty tables (that weren't set) so I don't see why she couldn't have set tables for each group of people. It just felt lazy to me.

One suggestion for the new owners - wireless internet would be nice.

Overall, this place needs an update if it is to continue to get good reviews like it has in the past. However, this would be limited to superficial changes so I think it could be easily done. Good luck to the new owners.

1  Thank MWest11
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The owners have sold this inn and closed it as of the end of September. The new owners are not sure what they will do with the inn. So for now, you can no longer stay at this inn.
The inn was clean and nicely decorated, and the breakfasts were excellent. We found the bathrooms quite odd and not up to our standards for the price paid. There was no mirror over the sink and the lighting was so poor that it was difficult to apply makeup. There was a tub with a faucet connected shower and while it worked ok, we would have preferred a normal shower.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Amazing Home, Incredible Service, Great Location, it just doesn't get any better! By far the best B & B we've ever stayed in!

Reviewed August 25, 2010

Great old house, beautiful, rooms clean, bathtub or Jacuzzi, excellent breakfasts....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The breakfasts were outstanding. The room was nice and each room had distinctive features. Location was 1 mile from the waterfront so very walkable and on the bus line. Adequate parking. Would stay there again. Family/staff very helpful. Full wireless access and computers you can use there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple