“Across the Harbour Bed and Breakfast is like coming home!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Across the Harbour Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2009

A wonderful experience!!! Our hosts Sue and Zen were warm and friendly and welcomed us as if we were family. We felt right at home immediately...fresh home baked cookies were waiting for us in our room on our arrival! And the bed and pillows....best sleep ever. The breakfasts were superb!! equal to any 6* hotel (if there is such a thing)...Awoke in the morning to the wonderful music of Zamfir wafting into our room from the atrium. Thank you Thank you Thank you. P.S. we enjoyed our visit to the garden and share in your plans for the same. We look forward to our visit next year and will plan to stay longer. G & G

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed June 22, 2009

Across the Harbour is a wonderfully friendly and comfortable place to spend time in Victoria. The hosts are the best! They really went out of their way to make us feel as though we were at home. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and the bath tub was so relaxing! Plus, the breakfasts were amazing! They were not too heavy, but yet keep you full for a long time. Staying at Across the Harbour really made our honeymoon memorable and the next time we are in Victoria, this is where we will stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at the B&B in May while I was in Victoria on business and it was a return visit for me as I stayed there in July of 2008 as well. This B&B has a new onsite manager, Sue, and she was an absolute delight! Very friendly and personable and what great breakfasts she made! She was a big help whenever I needed something.

The second biggest improvement upon last year is the backyard gardens! They had cleaned it all up and weeded and it is now quite a nice spot to sit and enjoy the sun and watch the birds frolic.

I was content with the B&B last year but I can tell Sue has been and is an improvement upon last year and she has turned this B&B into a very excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I gather this place is under new management. I certainly found the manager, Sue, a former hotelier to be an excellent and friendly host. The service and cleanliness were great and I will return very soon. The setting is great because it is next to a park with an excellent view across the marina to the inner harbour, yet it is only 3 km from downtown. It is much quieter than the James Bay side with hordes of tourists.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
AdrianVictoria, Innkeeper at Across the Harbour Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2009

Across the Harbour Bed & Breakfast is indeed under new management. We welcome guests to experience our relaxed and casual harbour setting and the ultimate in warm, friendly West Coast Hospitality. Your new Innkeepers...Sue and Zen

Reviewed December 4, 2008

Over the years my wife & I have stayed at many B&B’s and I will say this is the worst we have ever experienced.

The caretaker was cold in demeanor to say the least. Barely a hello- here is your room (Blue Heron Room) – here are your keys – I have to go.

The room itself was a bit stuffy and stale but we assumed perhaps it had not been used in a while being it was off season. Our views – which according to the B&B's own word is sight of a beautiful garden. However, from our view of the grounds, it looked unbelievably uncared for.
The garden was seriously overgrown and untended. The fountain had brown scummy water in it. The small "pond" was still and dank-looking. It was as if the outside of the house had not been taken care of for a while.

Although the floors / walls / bathroom / and tub looked clean, the bedding was not. The synthetic pillows smelled and felt greasy, to the point that we put towels over them to lie on. In fact one of the pillow cases seemed to have dried blood stains
on it..

Needless to say the best part of the room is the tub for two, and we did enjoy that. After surviving the night we went to our Breakfast - Off season- this B&B offers only a Continental Breakfast. In our case that was fridge-scented milk in a jug with stale Cereal. There were three kinds, something like cheerios, and the other two –well honestly I am not sure what they were, but they all needed to be carbon dated because they were quite stale. There was fruit too, which consists of brown bananas, oxidated grapefruit, melons and grapes. Whatever we did not finish the first morning, the fruit, toast and milk miraculously re-appear the next morning.

My wife and I left the B&B to explore the Island for the day and came back in the late evening.. To our surprise and dismay, our towels were not replaced with fresh / clean ones, our bed wasn’t made. (Have any of you had to make your own bed and use damp towel after paying good money each night for an Inn?) Suffice to say it was a first for us.

As we were leaving – the next day the care taker asked us if we had any recommendations - So when I recommended that she spend a little time with guest – at least during breakfast time, she said she was too “Busy” cooking (what? taking the bread out of plastic bags?) to spend any time with guest..
I was speechless being we were the only guest(s) and it was a Continental Breakfast so I am not sure what she was busy doing. For sure she wasn't doing laundry on towels and beddings, as we knew by first hand.

Also – I should mention, next door to this B&B – Like 100ft from the entrance is a business for the Marina.. Judging from the cars coming in the morning and park on the gravel lot, they start work around 6am - just one more FYI..
Any one or two of these things, I would write it off, however altogether it was terrible and I have experienced much better back in my younger days when I stayed at motel 6 for a third of the price. Even they made the bed & provided new towels..

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TravelingRabbits
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We stayed at the Across the Harbour Bed and Breakfast in Victoria, BC in the Blue Heron Suite for a weekend and found the room very spacious and comfortable (the bed and pillows were particularly comfy!). It was quite a different experience than we have had in other B&B's (the owners live off-site and the B&B is managed by an innkeeper and there is no real sense of "home;" it really feels more like an inn of separate rooms & suites), but our experience was nothing of the caliber described by other reviewers on this site. Our room had a fabulous picture window looking out on the gardens, a really nice shower head (we didn't use the jetted tub, though it looked divine!), and was very clean.

The location of the Across the Harbour B&B couldn't have been better. It is located at the start of the Harbour walk which winds along the harbour waterfront all the way into downtown Victoria. It was a nice hour-or-so walk to the city centre and then a fun water taxi ride back to the West Bay Marina (just 1/2 a block away from the B&B). For us, when travelling, location is key and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect place to stay location-wise.

The only nit-picky thing we would say is that their website boasts of a full gourmet breakfast during their high season and a continental breakfast during low & shoulder seasons. We were in Victoria in August, during the peak of the high season, and would certainly not classify our breakfast options as "full gourmet." The innkeeper offered us a choice between eggs and bacon or pancakes... Just seemed more like continental fare to us...

Otherwise, it was a perfectly nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ima_spursfan
Reviewed June 10, 2008

After looking at the this B & B's website we thought that it would be a great place to stay whilst in Victoria, BC. However in reality it turned out to be a poor choice, and I wish I had read Lunarsola's review before booking.

It would appear that the ownership of this bed and breakfast has changed, and that the current owners have little experience and little interest in providing a quality service to their guests. On arrival we were simply greeted by a note pinned to the door saying that they had to go out and that our key was in a box by the front door, and that breakfast would be served between 8:00 & 9 :00am. The room was OK but there was no goat's milk soap, no bath mat for the floor, and the shower head holder was broken.

The breakfast could hardly be described as "gourmet", and only consisted of some half-cold scrambled egg, burnt pieces of potato, overcooked bacon and some toast. Cereal was available, but the ants crawling up the box and on the floor put me off slightly ! The coffee & juice provided were OK. My girlfriend, who is vegetarian, was given bacon despite advising the owners of her preference when booking. The cooked breakfast was also laid out for other guests who weren't present when it was served, and so it was cold when they arrived to eat, rather than being prepared fresh when they were at the breakfast table.

The owners never introduced themselves or made any attempt at conversation with the guests at all. They would score zero out of 10 for hospitality.

This was the fourth bed and breakfast that we stayed at on our trip and it bore no comparison to the other three which were all fantastic.

My best advice would be to avoid the Across the Harbour bed & breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple