“Great staff, good hotel”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #37 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed July 7, 2006

The staff were all extraordinarily nice and helpful. Very convinient location and a fun place to stay. My only complaints were that the lighting in the room was not bright enough, and they did not have WIFI. Our room was large, nice tv with a bunch of channels, a newer bathroom which was bright. The value for the price paid was very good. This is my second stay there, and my girlfriends first. We would, and will, stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank elsquidman

A TripAdvisor Member
Oregon
Reviewed July 1, 2006

I see the hotel gets mixed reviews. My wife and I were originally booked in another location but we left them to go to Strathcona. It is great for the money you pay. The location is ideal, it puts you in the heart of the more fun areas of Victoria. There are great pubs in and near the hotel and there is a great bar on the roof.

We really appreciated the hotel and had a great time on our first anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We stayed at the Strathcona on May 28 & 28, 2006. First the good: The hallway of the floor we were on had recently been wallpapered and painted and had a new carpet. Our room was recently painted and had two paintings on the wall. Our room had double pane glass (more later on that). Much of the bathroom had recently been redone (the tub enclosure and the floor). The price was $76 US. Now, the bad: The bathroom was tiny as was the room. We had twin beds. They were very soft and bouncy and need to be replaced. Ideally, we would have taken the mattresses off and put them on the floor, but the room was much too small to allow that. There was only one luggage rack, although the room was for two people. The distance between the end of the bed and the tv and luggage rack was about 2 1/2 feet. Our room overlooked the outdoor patio &volleyball area. The double paned glass helped some but we still heard quite a lot. However, the weather was bad so the outdoor patio closed early. The breakfast was juice (poor quality), poor quality bread, bagels and muffins and excellent coffee or hot chocolate. We ate on the patio one evening. Food was mediocre. However, the location was good. At the lower end of Douglas St. - but even there we had bums hanging out outside the hotel on a Sunday evening. By Monday, they were gone. It is located 1/2 block from the public bus stop, so it is very convenient if you are coming from the airport or going to the Swartz Bay ferry or to Butchart Gardens (which is very easy to do by public bus. You can leave your things there and then catch a bus right from the Gardens to the airport and Swartz Bay ferry.).

1  Thank travelholChicago
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Stayed for 1 night, pretty dismal place front staff nice enough rooms were dark, TV had about 5 channels the place felt dirty and very dated old not a nice old.The location is good and there is free parking across the road .
You can find a lot better in low season for the same price,shop around but maybe in high season if its one night then bite the bullet.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Brats
Reviewed December 10, 2005

The front desk staff are rude and couldn't care less if you have any problems. I was talked down to and made to feel like an idiot when their shoddy keys broke in the lock of my room. Also, on the day I was leaving two new guests were given the key to my room, hours before I left! Had I not been in the room at the time they would have had free access to all my belongings! Avoid at all costs.

Stayed: April 2003
7  Thank Chris A
Reviewed February 8, 2005

I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews of this hotel. My family and I were booked into the Strathcona in mid December by my wife's uncle, so we turned up there one night not knowing what to expect. We were pleased to discover that the family room (2 double beds) was of a reasonable size, clean and nicely decorated.

The hotel serves a reasonable breakfast, is extremely well located right in the heart of Victoria, and is very cheap. We paid (if I remember correctly) about CAN$90 for the night. This is by no means a 5 star hotel but if you want a reasonably priced, well located and clean place to sleep then it fits the bill.

• Stayed: December 2004
3  Thank Steve
Reviewed September 22, 2004

My wife and I checked in to this hotel after a travel agent recommended it based upon its location and the surrounding restaurants.

The room was very small with a terrible view of the adjacent building’s roof. The bed sheets were worn and pilled. The carpets were very old and somewhat worn. The location was the only good thing about this hotel. It was behind the Empress Hotel downtown.

Victoria is small enough that you can get just about anywhere in 10 minutes. I would not waste my money at this dirty and reportedly haunted hotel. We ended up leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere about 10 minutes away.

• Stayed: September 2004