“Location, location”

Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Location, location”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was our third stay at the Strathcona. We knew that it can be a little noisy and that it has the basics. We got a great rate that included breakfast, car parking, a $20 food and beverage voucher and a Queen room. It was supposed to be a premium queen room, but there is nothing premium about it. It was a very basic room with a queen sized bed, but clean and tidy.

Room Tip: No rooms have air conditioning and the nice bright ones on the main street are noisy!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Joel C, Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Mere50, Yes location, location and the great value for our location. Thank you for taking time to comment about the Strathcona Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Seattle
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I picked this hotel because I needed two rooms and the price was unbeatable. I was travelling with my 28 year old son and his girlfriend who were looking to enjoy the Victoria night life. This hotel was perfect for both of us. The room rate allowed us to have two separate rooms (still worked out cheaper than most other hotels). The location is perfect as mentioned in other reviews. The "kids" really enjoyed the area and the nightlife. I Parked the car for $10 and walked to everything.
The rooms are small and dated, but clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was very professional and pleasant. I was using the computer in the lobby and was able to witness their customer service over an extended period of time and was amazed how they were able to maintain such a pleasant attitude when guests asked very stupid questions and even complained about the weather! Geez people it is October in Canada! If you are looking for a great deal in a classic hotel, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the volleyball court. Quiet, but there was nothing going on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RainCityDog
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Sarah, We are pleased you enjoyed your stay in Victoria and tjhe Strathcona Hotel. Yes we have a great location close to the Inner Harbour and Downtown shopping and restarants. See you again soon.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Perfect for our high standards on a medium budget. Location is great for a 20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and plenty of places to enjoy coffee or food close by. Rooms are spacious, bathrooms roomy and clean - would book again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SARAH Y
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was greatly dissappointed with the service of the front office staff and after suggesting I was to post on Trip Advisor, the comments of the front office Manager was simply "you go ahead and post wherever you want".
Our group booked 7 rooms in total. The room I stayed in was 511. Top floor. We checked in on a Friday at about 5pm. The room was warm, and only one small fan was provided. The windows only opened up 4 inches, which did not allow for much circulation, but we assumed that the buidling ventilation system and open windows would cool the room - after all, we paid for the PREMIUM ROOM and we not warned of "extra warm accomodations" at the front desk.
After an evening out I returned to a very hot room about 11pm. The room became progressively more unbearable through the night. At 3am in a room that was at aprox. 28 degrees Celcius or 82.5 Farenheit as I lied awake covered in sweat I decided to visit the front desk and request another room. At 3:30 I went to the front and was given room 202. It was on a lower floor and was slightly cooler. The window opened up as well which helped. I slept in there (or at least resided in the room) until aproximately 9am, where I returned to the original room.
At 9am the original room 511 had cooled somewhat, and we figured that if we kept the windows open blinds closed and fan on we could should be able to keep the room cooler. After all, we paid for the PREMIUM ROOM and we not warned of "extra warm accomodations" at the front desk.
However, when we returned to the room late that evening the room was hot again, and it would progressively get hotter through the night until about 4am when it started to cool.
At about 2:30am, I got up and had a cold shower, as did my two roomates. I would guess the temperature was aprox. 27 degrees Celsius or 81 Farenheit.
When we checked out Sunday, I was shocked to find a charge of $90.00 plus tax for the tiny room 202 I stayed in for 5.5 hours the first night. After complaining to the reception staff the rate was reduced to $50.00 plus taxes but that was all they would do. They would give no reduction on room 511.
Our room 511 was charged to us at $173.00 plus taxes and parking made it over $200 per night. A few days later I tried to get a hold of the manager - who was on holidays. Upon her return and discussion I was granted a credit of just over $50.00, just enough to cover my room 202 fees.
So it would appear that after we had paid two nights in the PREMIUM ROOM, a room that is near unbearable to sleep in, the hotel feels it is fair to charge 100% originally agreed upon fees, though has certainly not provided the service it would promise.
After reading trip advisor comments, it is clear that I am not the first to have voiced my concerns about the room temperatures. The guest does not know what the temperature of the rooms would be, nor how they would or would not cool/heat. It is not our responsibility, but the hotels to inform its guests of what may, or may not, be of discomfort in the rooms (in the middle of the night). At 9am... or 3pm for example, the room may be bearable. So at that time, we would not come down and request a different room. The request would happen at 3am, and it was claimed by the front office Manager that I myself am the ONLY GUEST TO EVER DO THIS.
The hotel should have provided our group with a credit, or reimbursal, as a way of compensating for the discomfort it placed upon us. We booked 7 rooms in total, and all 7 were HOT.
The ability to make amends with this guest is still open, once the Director of Sales chooses to respond. I would be happy to try the Strathcona Hotel again and give it the chance to receive a more positive review.
Rob Senger

Room Tip: Be prepared for a HOT ROOM
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of August. Having travelled to the Island by ferry, we were able to be dropped off outside the hotel by the express bus (70X) from the terminal. The hotel is very central and is one of the oldest in Victoria. Our top floor room afforded us views south to the US mountains. It was also very comfortable but did not have air conditioning. However, there was a fan and the window did open! Breakfast was good in a spacious bar area. We did not eat other meals in the hotel but it does have a number of bars in it. The position of the hotel meant that we were able to explore all of the interesting areas of Victoria on foot. The Inner Harbour is close as is Beacon Hill Park. There are plenty of places to eat: we chose the Swans Hotel which has a superb brewery attached to it. The Chinatown is small but had interesting restaurants too. We visited Butchart Gardens by catching the bus outside the hotel. We even managed to pick up the hire car from National just down the road instead of having to travel to the airport for it. All in all, a pleasant hotel in a really nice town.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seasonedtravellers50
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello Seasoned Traveller. We are very pleased you enjoyed our wonderful city and your stay at the Strathcona Hotel. You stopped by many of the city's highlights but there are lots more to see so we hope you visit us again soon.
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were very disappointed with our room and cancelled our second night there. Our room was on the fifth floor, hot and stuffy, and the window opened only a few inches. However, a fan was provided. The view would have been wonderful but the window was so dirty it wasn't attractive to look out. The carpets were dirty. The roof top night spot next door is loud but does drowns out the road noise. The continental breakfast was not very good. I like having coffee in my room and there isn't any here. One thing in its favor is the nice central location. We did not stay the second night I had booked. When I told them I was checking out early because our stay had been awful they didn't ask why. Luckily, they did not charge me for that second night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erin C
Joel C, Director of Sales at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Patti, Thank you for your comments. I have talked to housekeepng and hotel maintanence regarding the carpets and windows. I do aplologise that we do not have coffee machines in the Hotel room but as we are an older building this was not planned for. We offer a very basic continental breakfast at no charge as we know our guests like to have a coffee in the morning. I hope the rest of your stay in Victoria was enjoyable.
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

hi - all travellers should be aware that at check in the hotel will place a hold on your credit/debit card for the cost of your stay plus an additional $100, which they will tell you will be closed out when you pay your final account on departure - we fell for this and 12 days after having had the hold placed on our debit card and 10 days after paying the final account we still haven't had the original funds released back in to our account, so we have in effect paid twice plus an extra $100!!
to make matters worse the hotel are not making any effort to resolve the situation!

so if you want to pay twice for your stay then the strathcona is the hotel for you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gary c
The policy for room deposit is stated on all reservation systems and confirmations. The fact is some banks do take longer to release credit card pre-authorizations than others. The guest was told on departure about the policy and once again when they called. We again stated this was an issue with her credit card company and that we did not charge twice for the accommodations.