“It was fine, not great, not bad.”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Stayed here 2 days/1 night for an overnight in Victoria for our 10th wedding anniversary. It wasn't super special, but I have definitely stayed in worse.

The room was fine. We stayed in the nicer class of room on the 6th floor. The fireplace was nice, but having a way to relax in front of it would be better. There was definitely some dinginess around the baseboards, bathroom tiles, etc. but I actually walked around without flip-flops, which is pretty good for me (or maybe I was too tired to care). TV was pretty big. Bed was pretty comfortable.

The bathroom, as I said, was a little dingy, but not really dirty. You could really hear everyone else in their bathrooms and the hallway. We specifically wanted a spa tub for some relaxing, but it didn't fit 2 people at all, and the drain kept gurgling. Lighting varies from off to harsh to very harsh.

As vegetarians, the steak restaurant wasn't the best option, but that was our only option for room service. They did try, but it ended up being a meal of sides. Baked potato (sour cream and onions, no cheese, no butter, no broccoli...) cauliflower gratin (tasted good, but it was runny and the cauliflower could have been cut smaller), and mushroom risotto (very good), Breakfast had a lot of options, more than pastries and juice, but the quality was just average. As someone else said, it was enough to tide me over until lunch. The families just hanging out with their crying kids in the restaurant made me wish I had taken it to my room. There seemed to be a lot of kids running around and yelling for a spa hotel. Especially at night in the hallway.

The service overall was indifferent. They would do anything you asked, but only if you asked. Nothing was offered. Nothing special was arranged for our 10th anniversary like the website mentions. The location was pretty central to Victoria, so that was nice. They will hold onto your bags before check-in and after check-out (if you ask), especially needed if you're coming/going on the Clipper.

It's a fine place to stay, but the only advantages you get over a more budget hotel are:
feels slightly cleaner
fireplace
tub (not very relaxing, though)
big TV
chocolates
more options at continental breakfast

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,843)

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Found this on Trip Advisor -- one of the nicest hotels I've EVER stayed at. It was impeccably clean, with beautiful rooms and very personal touches, including an especially nice turn-down service. The mattress was really comfortable, the bedding luxurious. The location is smack in the middle of Victoria's waterfront district -- a couple of blocks from the water, next to the Empress Hotel. This is not a "view" hotel, but I didn't care, as it was raining and I just wanted a nice room. Also, I didn't have a car this time, but if I did, the only option would be valet parking ($$), since it's right downtown with limited street parking. But otherwise, this is a new favorite!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank LeftCoastGirl
Reviewed September 16, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the hotel and were very pleased we did!
We had booked to stay in a Diamond level room which was an excellent choice. Spotlessly clean, well furnished and beautifully presented. The staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive and the breakfast was excellent.
We were there for a belated anniversary celebration and the hotel provied some chocolates and champagne which was a beautiful surprise.

The only problem we incurred was noise through the night from the air conditioning system and the ice machine directly opposite our room. Both noises were not noticeable during the day time but in the dead of night became quite apparent. We had already turned our air conditioning off but the noise still came from the vents and we assumed other rooms running theirs. Also once awake, the ice machine appeared much louder.

As we were only there for one night there was no point in asking to move to a quieter room but it did slightly spoil an otherwise perfect stay.
We would definitely return and recommend the hotel, but next time request a room away from the ice machine!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kestrel1242
Reviewed September 12, 2010

This was a fabulous hotel experience. The location--a block from the inner habor, the Empress, Government Street, etc along with a great choice of restaurants--was perfect. Our room was large with a separate seating area, very comfortable, quiet. Staff was exceptional; I ordered some flowers for our room as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary while there, and a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates also appeared. Breakfast was included, and was generous. Everything was perfect!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Professor56
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Spent a lovely 2 nights at this hotel. Clean, cozy, and close to everything but still had the feel of being away. The Continental Breakfast was fine nothing great but kinda hit the spot till lunch. My husband had a spa treatment and really enjoyed it. The one excpetion though kind of bugged me as it was never mentioned by staff when checking in nor could I find it on their web site maybe it is somewhere in tiny print but I never saw it. It was the valet charges, they offer parking in the garage then when we checked out it was 30.00 (15.00 day) + tx so I wasn't to pleased but paid anyway because I did not want to fuss. I did say to the staff that it should be mentioned in the web site but she just brushed it off. This is why I would not give 5 stars for this hotel.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank happyfour
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with the exception of the confusion about the parking fees. Based on feedback including yours we have revised our newly re-launched website to clearly identify the charges for valet parking. I apologize for the confusion and would be pleased to rectify this issue to your satisfaction. I have sent a private message with my contact info to you.

Thank you again for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

We hope to see you back with us soon,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 6, 2010

This hotel was spacious, luxurious, and clean. The staff was very accommodating and informative. We had a very pleasant two night stay on a 3 week Alaskan/Canadian adventure. The best hotel of the trip. Located next door to the Empress for half the price. Every bit as plush but with a nice boutique feeling.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaryLakeZurich
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We loved our visit to Victoria, and were especially glad we stayed at this hotel!! The staff was very friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until we departed. We were delighted to have decided to stay in a corner room. It was beautiful, very comfortable, with lots of windows. We were happy to see the separate shower in our bathroom. And we were so fortunate to have a wonderful view overlooking the Parliament. I would certainly request this again!! We did have tea at the Empress, and were glad to go back to our peaceful hotel later on. The only negative is that it is not on the water.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple