“Charming Hotel, great location, excellent service”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Beautiful hotel with a fantastic location. Right downtown, shopping and restaurants within walking distance. Quick drive to Oak Bay, Beacon Hill Park, etc. We had a large cozy room with a fireplace and a great view of the Parliament Building. A lot of attention to details that large hotels omit (eg included breakfast, chocolates in the room, umbrella in the room, plush bath robes and slippers, bath bombs to use in the deep tub) Staff was excellent. Aveda spa is connected and was very good . We would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank mamatodd
Write a ReviewReviews (2,842)

Reviewed December 11, 2009

I have stayed in numerous hotels in Canada and the US, and I have to say, the Magnolia is a beuatiful hotel. The service is amazing, the rooms are clean and bright, and the Spa is wonderful. We did not eat at the restaurant (except fot the breakfast) as we had made other arrangements with friends but the decor was very nice. We got chocolates in our room during turndown, and when we arrived! I loved the large bath tub in the room, and the fireplace was very cozy!!!

We will be back for sure and hopefully a little longer next time!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank phelps2033
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Great location near Empress Hotel and Harbour; ask for corner room as very spacious.
Pescatore Seafood Restaurant around the corner, great food, a little pricey; walk everywhere; coffee ant tea in lobby; internet rate @ $100/night

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank margie01
Reviewed November 18, 2009

As other reviewers have said, this is a nice hotel in a good location. Valet parking (mandatory - you can't park it yourself at the hote) is not included in the room rate -- it's an extra $15 per day but allows you in/out privilege any number of times. The valets were very courteous, and it is secure underground parking.

What we found deceptive was their "Ferries On Us" deal. They offer up to $144 off the bill if you stay a minimum of two nights. What they don't tell you, is that they inflate the room price by $30/night before "deducting" the ferry credit. On a two-night stay the ferry credit works out to $72 per day. But after inflating the room rate by $30, you're only getting $42 discount or $84 total which is far off the $144 (1 car, 2 passenger) value. No mention of this "inflated rate" anywhere. How many other businesses offer a special discount, but only off an unpublished artificially inflated price?

Yes, I'd recommend this hotel, but with these warnings.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Magnolia Hotel & Spa. I was disappointed to see that our Ferry on Us package was perceived as deceptive. This was certainly not the intent when we developed this package. Our rates do fluctuate throughout the off-season; ranging from $149 to $229. The Ferry on Us offer is intended to be provide a fixed package price including the ferry from Vancouver or Washington State. I will review the package and the marketing wording as it is our intent to sell this package clearly and transparently and avoid this type of experience. I do appreciate your taking the time to review the hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope we will see you back again at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa. I would encourage you to contact me directly so that I may resolve your concerns to your satisfaction.

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa

Reviewed November 10, 2009

The Magnolia Hotel is a best-kept secret that needs to be shared! Our corner room was large and very comfortable. We had a peek-a-boo view of the harbor from the second floor. The upper floors must have hypnotic views! It was amazingly quiet.
The staff is wonderful: friendly, helpful, and experts on Victoria culture, cuisine, tourist guides, etc. Loved the valet guy, played piano during breakfast.
Nice touch breakfast. A wonderful continental breakfast: waffles, eggs, fruit, breads, meats and cheeses, yogurt, cereals, and much more.
The Prime restaurant served a spectacular dinner...four of us, four different entrees, and all expertly prepared. Rave reviews from us!
Location couldn't be beat: centrally located. Two blocks from waterfront and Empress, two blocks from The Bay, and in the heart of charming downtown shops and restaurants. Felt safe walking in the evening, very well lit.
For a treat, stay at the Magnolia. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Wittbrain
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I had a great stay. I got upgraded upon arrival, and that was a bonus. I booked using Priceline upon the advice of other reviewers. I am pleased with the rate I got. Room 602 has a nice view of the Inner Harbour and downtown streets. Everything about the room- from the apples left for me (even though I can't eat raw apples) to the fireplace in the sitting area, to the Aveda products in the bathroom, the turndown and the chocolate left at my bedside, showed class. Loved the complimentary breakfast, including a do-it-yourself waffle-making area. DON'T listen to the negative reviews. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Melanie M
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Having not visited Victoria B.C. in a few years, I was unsuspecting when my agent booked me at the Magnolia Hotel. Beautifully located on Courtney Street just off the Inner Harbor and a quiet half-block from busy Government St., it has to be the best combination of location and convenience and within walking distance to everything. My corner room overlooked the Empress and the Parliament buildings and offered a a sweeping picturesque view through windows that really open...a luxury in today's hermetically sealed hotels. My room had stylish and comfortable furnishings, a huge flat-screen television, and a luscious four-piece bath. From the gracious lobby with comfortable overstuffed chairs, fireplace, free coffee, tea and newspapers, to a bountiful "continental" breakfast in the Prime restaurant with waffles, fruit, cereals, breads, muffins, eggs, etc., I was ready and set to go by 7:30 a.m. It doesn't have a pool, however. The multi-lingual staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, making dinner reservations, offering suggestions for an authentic English tea and directions to the nearby Anglican Cathedral, it was a perfect visit to B.C.'s capital city. Try Prime restaurant for dinner, too. A tad expensive but a true gem who like their beef both rare and well-done.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business