“We were so pleasantly surprised what a gem the Magnolia is.”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed November 10, 2009

The Magnolia Hotel is a best-kept secret that needs to be shared! Our corner room was large and very comfortable. We had a peek-a-boo view of the harbor from the second floor. The upper floors must have hypnotic views! It was amazingly quiet.
The staff is wonderful: friendly, helpful, and experts on Victoria culture, cuisine, tourist guides, etc. Loved the valet guy, played piano during breakfast.
Nice touch breakfast. A wonderful continental breakfast: waffles, eggs, fruit, breads, meats and cheeses, yogurt, cereals, and much more.
The Prime restaurant served a spectacular dinner...four of us, four different entrees, and all expertly prepared. Rave reviews from us!
Location couldn't be beat: centrally located. Two blocks from waterfront and Empress, two blocks from The Bay, and in the heart of charming downtown shops and restaurants. Felt safe walking in the evening, very well lit.
For a treat, stay at the Magnolia. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Wittbrain
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Hotel And Spa

Reviewed October 26, 2009

I had a great stay. I got upgraded upon arrival, and that was a bonus. I booked using Priceline upon the advice of other reviewers. I am pleased with the rate I got. Room 602 has a nice view of the Inner Harbour and downtown streets. Everything about the room- from the apples left for me (even though I can't eat raw apples) to the fireplace in the sitting area, to the Aveda products in the bathroom, the turndown and the chocolate left at my bedside, showed class. Loved the complimentary breakfast, including a do-it-yourself waffle-making area. DON'T listen to the negative reviews. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Melanie M
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Having not visited Victoria B.C. in a few years, I was unsuspecting when my agent booked me at the Magnolia Hotel. Beautifully located on Courtney Street just off the Inner Harbor and a quiet half-block from busy Government St., it has to be the best combination of location and convenience and within walking distance to everything. My corner room overlooked the Empress and the Parliament buildings and offered a a sweeping picturesque view through windows that really open...a luxury in today's hermetically sealed hotels. My room had stylish and comfortable furnishings, a huge flat-screen television, and a luscious four-piece bath. From the gracious lobby with comfortable overstuffed chairs, fireplace, free coffee, tea and newspapers, to a bountiful "continental" breakfast in the Prime restaurant with waffles, fruit, cereals, breads, muffins, eggs, etc., I was ready and set to go by 7:30 a.m. It doesn't have a pool, however. The multi-lingual staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, making dinner reservations, offering suggestions for an authentic English tea and directions to the nearby Anglican Cathedral, it was a perfect visit to B.C.'s capital city. Try Prime restaurant for dinner, too. A tad expensive but a true gem who like their beef both rare and well-done.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank biztraveler57
Reviewed October 21, 2009

This is a boutique hotel, but it has everything one needs. Our room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. Breakfast is included in the room price and it is phenomenal! The only thing of note is that the hotel only offers "valet" parking, so if you want to forego that option, you must park in the parkade across the street. This is really a small issue but good to know ahead of time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fremer45
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was our first stay at the Magnolia and will not be our last. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable with all the amenities to make our stay memorable. Having travelled on business around the world for several years, I wish I had a conference in Victoria as I could have happily stayed at the Magnolia for a week as it is right next to the conference centre. This was the first continental breakfast I have had with a waffle maker, what a treat! The staff were very friendly and professional and made us very welcome! We went for a stroll in the evening along government street which is right outside the door and found some great pubs, one with a live band. All in all a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LloydLondon_UK
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Have you ever had a great experience with a product, but the transaction of paying for it ruined it all? I reserved this hotel through the hotel's own website. Got great rates. Me and my partner checked in and were quoted rates that totaled 150 US dollars more than we had reserved. I realized this once we made it to our beautiful, clean and spacious room. So, I went back down to the reception desk and the representative was very attentive and apoligized. However, as opposed to easily changing the rates to match what I had reserved, he had to go in to the system and "shave" bit by bit, until the total came close to what I had reserved, which took about 30 minutes). At this point, it was about $1.50 less than my reservation.

Then, the morning of checkout, I received the invoice under my door. The charges reflected the same total at check-in, which was 150 US dollars more than reserved. On my way to breakfast, I stopped and spoke to a rep at the front desk, who was not especially engaging or customer focused. He began the exercise once again, of "shaving" off bit by bit. After about 15 minutes at the desk, I said that I would go to breakfast and give him some time to correct and return later. I asked if he needed to make a copy of my reservation so he could refer to it for the correct amount and he said, "no".

After breakfast I returned to check out. I was greeted and assisted by another rep. When he presented my bill, it was still wrong. By this time, I was HOT! Not only was I on a time schedule to catch a ferry to Vancouver, but I could not understand where the missing link was between their reservation system and the hotels on site system (typically, it is all in one!). After 30 minutes of shaving and staring, the rep. requested the help of the original rep. who supposedly corrected the bill during my breakfast. Again, this Rep. (with an English accent) ignored me completely. I tried to remind him that he stated he would correct the bill during my breakfast time and he never acknowledged me. So, after another 15 minutes, the two Reps. reduced the bill to an amount just below the amount I was quoted.

It's not over yet!!! Then, I get home, only to see on my credit card that I was still charged approximately $10 more than what I signed for (And, yes, I'm comparing US dollars to US dollars!).

Even though the hotel was extremely clean, the rooms perfectly appointed and the restaurant and bar very good and nice, this whole reservation and payment issue ruined my visit! I do want to praise the front desk rep who worked in the evenings- very engaging and was absolutely wonderful at pointing out the best restaruants withing price ranges. The other two Reps who worked in the morning/days, were not interested in the requirements of their customers and I found them to be flat and unengaging (even to each other!).

So, I really want to say that I would recommend this hotel, but I just can't. Money and accuracy is very important to the consumer and these goals were not achieved.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We were quite pleased with the hotel, but I thought I might share one anecdote that shows the caring nature of the staff. For those not familiar, Saturdays are fireworks nights at the Butchard Gardens, that's all well and good unless it rains on the coats and blankets you have set out to save your spot. Well that's what happened to us. We arrived back at the hotel via bus at about 11Pm and had to catch our flight at 6:30 the next morning. The young man saw our predicament with all of the wet clothing and we were immediately told there was a commercial dryer in the basement. He had us go upstairs, change and bring all of the wet stuff back to the front desk. We did and he said, "NO PROBLEM" Ninety minutes later all of our wet stuff was dried, folded and ready for us. MOST IMPRESSIVE from any staff, but especially from the late night desk staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple