“Loved the room, but is that a view?”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Loved the room, but is that a view?”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Overall I was very happy with this hotel. The room was super nice, modern and clean but comfortable. I reserved the upper level room and was not disappointed for the value. For some reason, I had the impression this was a waterfront location. It is not. The location was very good and I can't say that I saw anything I would have preferred so it worked out but there is a large highrise that likely blocks what was once a nicer view. That said, I got an end of hallway room on the side that looks out over the parliament building and that was cool because it is a wonderful photo especially when lit up at night and that was the best way to get the shot! Had a gas fireplace which we actually used (in July) for ambiance and the air is chilly at night. The reason they did not earn 5 stars was front desk. We dealt with a total of 4 different girls during our stay and they were all pretty useless. Called for walking directions from the seaplane terminal and they got me totally lost. Asked for restaurant recommendations and they didn't seem to know any. Tried to book a spa appointment after the spa was closed and they had no idea how to go about it and left it up to me to call in the morning (missed opportunity because I did not!) While polite and professional, they were the most uninformed front desk staff I've seen in a while. Very odd since the place overall seemed very put together other than that.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear winstonteaka

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.
We appreciate your business and for taking the time to share your review online.

I was so pleased to hear you had a lovely stay, enjoyed the room along with the view and were able to make use of the fireplace on the Diamond Level Room you booked.

I was sorry to hear of any confusion with respect to the hotel's location or the views. It did sound as though you really enjoyed the view of the legislative buildings and the inner harbour. This is among the most popular views from our rooms and really offers a "signature" view of some of our best sights in Victoria.

To be clear and transparent to all Trip Advisor readers, the Magnolia Hotel & Spa is located a very short walk from the inner harbour (1.5 blocks away or approx 3 minute walk). A number of room types - Deluxe, Signature Corner, Diamond View and Signature Rooms - feature very nice views from the rooms including those of the harbour and the legislative buildings.
If any potential or arriving guests have any question about their views, please email me at gm@magnoliahotel.com or call our helpful team on our toll free line. It would be our pleasure to provide personalized attention to your arrival to ensure a wonderful stay.

Lastly, thank you for the feedback on our front desk. We appreciate all of your feedback in always striving to provide the best level of service at our small Luxury Boutique Hotel.

Best Wishes,

Direct tel: 250 412 8480
Email: gm@Magnoliahotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Grand Prairie
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Magnolia Hotel is a personal favorite of ours. The attentive staff always makes us feel welcome, and the air of luxury and charm is endearing. Access to events and sites is a plus. Our trip to Victoria was centered around this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Magnolia Spa is also for business travellers a very good place to stay, close to the conference center as well close to the harbour and the sea shore. The hotel itself is very friendly, very helpful staff, quite good wireless connection (the bandwidth could be stronger).

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the sea/harbor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
TheAndy12, Thank you kindly for your recent stay and your feedback.
It is truly appreciated!

I am pleased to hear of your nice visit to the hotel, and that you enjoyed our location so close to the sea shore.

I was sorry to hear that you found the bandwidth not to your satisfaction.
The hotel has installed individual guest networks at 15 Mbs in each guest room within the last year. If any guest finds the complimentary internet not operating at this type of speed, please let us know immediately and we can trouble shoot this issue with our tech support.

Thank you again for your business with our hotel,

Best Wishes,

Email: GM@Magnoliahotel.com
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I booked 2 rooms for one night and paid in advance to get a lower rate. The hotel is not cheap, but it is value for money and well worth it, not only for its location, but for its friendly, professional service, and the quality of the rooms. It is relaxing to drive up, have the bags looked after by friendly efficient staff, enjoy the valet service, register, and go to your room. Within easy walking distance are a myriad of shops, sights, and restaurants...and when we were there, there was a busker festival, so there was entertainment on almost every corner. We had a great time and recommend you try this hotel.

Room Tip: any room is a good room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank normpimm
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 27, 2014

CHECK-IN - The hotel is a quick taxi ride from the Coho ferry and is walk-able if you can manage 6-7 blocks with your luggage. The bellman quickly took our bags inside the hotel but did not great us and seemed slightly indifferent. We saw this attitude in most of the lobby staff and front desk. Check-in at the front desk was smooth but again hardly a smile or greeting. The lobby is very nicely decorated and husband loved sitting in the large, comfortable chairs to read his newspaper. There is a restaurant and bar located right off the lobby.

THE ROOM - The initial impression is very good. A bright room of good size and had a very large, clean bathroom. There was a good sized television, a small refrigerator and a full minibar. The room also had a small desk with a work chair and a sitting chair.

The sitting chair had extremely high arm rests so husband was quite uncomfortable sitting in it and tended to go downstairs to sit and read.

The bathroom tub is advertised as a "deep soaker" and it is...but it is also short so even at 5'2", I could not stretch out. The bathrooms are nicely appointed with a large shower, a multitude of towels and a makeup mirror. Note: The hair dryer is hanging in the closet in a black bag.

THE BEDS - I can sometimes have a problem with hard hotel beds so after a night of waking to sore shoulders and hips...I assumed this bed was one of few I did not get along with. I ordered up extra pillows to make an impromptu bed topper and had increased pain the second night. I called down to the front desk and asked if they had a bed board or something to make the bed more comfortable. They stated that they would take some action...which never occurred. The next day, I confirmed with the front desk that all of the beds in the hotel were the same so moving to another room would not improve the situation. Very disappointing as this hotel had a great location for us to bring a group over for a Victoria visit.

THE INTERNET - The first night the internet was outstanding. The connection was excellent and fast. During the day, the connection would often drop and needed to be disconnected several times every few minutes.

THE HOUSEKEEPING STAFF - Outstanding! The only people in the house who actually smiled and responded to our requests happily.

THE RESTAURANT - The happy hour was wonderful with a talented bartender and very good appetizers. Husband did go in once for breakfast (which there is a room service menu for in the room) and was told he could not be serviced as he did not have a free breakfast coupon...and he could not order off the menu. Very confusing as he could order from the room!

THE LOCATION - Perfect...within blocks of beautiful historical locations, museums, the wharf, shopping and dozens of great restaurants. The sidewalks are mostly flat and well maintained for those of us who love to walk.

OVERALL - If I could carry a bed board in my luggage, I would stay here again in a minute. I do hope the management can work on improving staff congeniality as it will improve the overall impression of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the front of the hotel. The sun shines into the rooms quite brightly and prev...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vostie
Dear vostie,

Thank you for your recent visit with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

I am very sorry to hear that you found the bed soft, and this is being reviewed with our maintenance and housekeeping teams. I do understand that you spoke with our Guest Services Supervisor, Trevor, on departure and am very sorry that this had a negative impact on your otherwise very nice visit with us. We take all feedback very seriously, and I appreciate your business with us. Trevor and I are reviewing all of the information from your visit with the interest in always improving our service levels at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

Thank you again for you business and the many kind comments in your review.

If I can be of personal service at any time, please let me know,

Direct tel: 250 412 8480
Email: gm@Magnoliahotel.com
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We were family of 5 travel from Calgary to downtown Victoria for sightseeing today and by accident we found our car was leaking fluid ! We were so panic and did not know what to do, since we parked across this hotel, so we decided to ask for help from the hotel front desk. The staffs were So Helpful, they were not only checking on the websites to locate a mechanic shop for us, in fact, one of staff call Myles came out and check on our car( even though he found out we were Not the hotel customer , he was still so friendly and willing to help. ) I cannot imagine how would be the wonderful service if we indeed the customer of this hotel ! We will definitely come back and stay in this hotel to enjoy their superior customer services.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ada W
Montreal
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I highly recommend the Magnolia Hotel. It is a fine boutique hotel much like hotels in Europe. Excellent service and excellent accommodation! The location is excellent. I loved waking up to the cry of seagulls! The best thing I liked about the hotel is the beautiful bed and pillows. The only weakness is the lighting in the bathroom - it was like a strobe light - a bit disconcerting in the night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business