“Beautiful room at great price”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We were torn between the Magnolia and the Empress. Hands down staying at the Magnolia was the right decision. For much less than the Empress wanted we got a gorgeous king room with a view of the harbour and breakfast. The hotel is spotless, the beds incredibly comfortable and the location perfect. Take a stroll through the Empress but stay at the Magnolia!

2  Thank DCTravel10
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear DCTravel,

Thank you for the great feedback following your recent stay with us.
We appreciate your business, and thank you for taking the time to share your comments online.

It sounds like the view, the service and the amenities led to a very comfortable stay in our little boutique hotel. We are thrilled and truly appreciate the feedback!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again!

Email: gm@magnoliahotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotel is well maintained and in a good position in Victoria. Our bedroom was comfortable with a large double bed and it was spotlessly clean. It also had a great view from 3 windows (we had a corner room on the 5th floor). Our complaint is that the staff at the front desk are not well trained. There is one receptionist who is helpful and competent, but the others are totally inept. We asked for help with a theatre booking and this seemed to be the first time the receptionist had been asked such a question. She didn`t know how to find out what was on, and even after she had been assisted by her competent colleague, she found it very difficult to complete a booking for us. A note in our room advised us never to open our bedroom door to strangers and to double lock the bedroom door at night. This made me nervous, but I was far more nervous once I saw that there was rarely anyone at the front desk in the evenings and one can walk into the lift unnoticed. We came in at various times and 75% of the time there was no-one there. On the rare occasions when a receptionist was present, they didn`t bother to greet us (this was in sharp contrast to nearly everyone else we encountered on Vancouver Island where people are simply delightful!). Another time we asked about the bus/ferry to Vancouver airport and a circle was placed around a particular bus..I looked at it and saw that this was to Vancouver central bus station and not to the airport...mistakes such as these should not be made! Upon leaving, no-one bade us farewell or offered to call a taxi for us....we were heavily laden with bags and there were 5 receptionists chatting at the front desk. The hotel is expensive and the service lets it down

1  Thank dcl24
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear DCL,

Thank you for choosing The Magnolia Hotel for your recent visit with us and for your feedback on your visit.

I would like to offer my sincere apology to you that you found such issues with our service. Given the hotel prides itself in delivering personalized service to each and every guest this is disappointing feedback to every member of our team.

We have reviewed your concerns regarding your theater reservations. I am very sorry that this booking was such a frustration for you. On review of the situation, including the opinion of “her competent colleague”, there were challenges with the theater website causing issues with completing your booking. I do apologize that there was a delay. The young lady who was assisting you was surprised to hear of your frustrations with this process given she and you discussed how lovely the show was the next morning.

In response to your concerns about safety I would like to let you, and other Trip Advisor travelers, know that Victoria is a very safe city however as a prudent hotel we offer safety advice and recommendations in our guest directory that would be common for most travelers. The hotel takes the security of our guests, our staff, and our building very seriously. I am very sorry that there were instances where you could not see a staff member leading you to concern for our attention to this matter. I am certain that there were staff very nearby.

Lastly, to confirm, the bus transport to the Vancouver bus depot and Vancouver airport both depart from the same station on the same bus line. My sincere apologies this was not explained more clearly, and caused confusion.

Clearly, several aspects of our services failed to meet your expectations during your visit with us causing you to be quite critical of our training and service levels. This is disappointing, and I offer again my apologies. All feedback is truly welcomed and we strive to use every piece of feedback to continually improve our services and offerings.

I have reached out to you via private message and would be pleased to discuss your stay further should you wish.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the magnolia on a couple of occasions but I felt that this time around, the service was impeccable! I was most impressed with the GM and his care and concern when we asked for a room upgrade. It made our vacation! My husband and I are not ones to stay in our room during a vacation but we couldn't help but marvel at the view! It was absolutely beautiful and we would like to thank the hotel staff for the outstanding service. Overall, it was a great experience. Great breakfast, great service, and very convenient location.

1  Thank sdOpinion

Dear sdOpinion,

Thank you for your recent visit and the very kind feedback of your stay, and your view.

I appreciate your being in touch with me in advance and allowing me to learn more about your visit to Victoria. It was a pleasure to provide the room upgrade and I'm thrilled you enjoyed your visit.

I hope we see you back again soon, and I hope I'll hear from you again on your next trip,

Bill

Email: gm@magnoliahotel.com
Direct Tel: 250 412 8480

Reviewed July 30, 2013

It is centrally located within walking distance to most places like Beacon Hill Park, the breezeway and market square. Rooms are awesome with 2nd to none beds and decor. Service personal is always courteous, helpful, and happy. It is very clean and well taken care of. Look forward to staying again. The bus routes and all the amenities are close by and make life so much easier if you want to just walk or take transit.

Room Tip: Never sleep with your eyes open LOL
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at the Magnolia for four nights. The room was very nice and the location was great. The staff was friendly and gave good service. It was easy to walk to many of the attractions and restaurants. The breakfast is very basic. The biggest problem was that the internet would continually kick us off. It would work about 3 minutes and then it would disconnect a few minutes and connect again, on and on this way. It made it impossible to get e-mails sent and get any work done that we needed to do. We called the front desk and they gave us the IT number to call. IT said they would boost the system but we never saw any change. We ended up calling two times with no difference in internet connection. It was the same on different computers and phones. If you have computer work to do, you may not be able to do it there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Amy S

Thank you for choosing The Magnolia, and for your kind feedback of your recent visit with us.

I am pleased to let you, and other Trip Advisor readers, know that we are in the preliminary stages of installing a brand new state of the art wireless Internet system at the hotel. The system will offer reliable speedy Internet to all of our guests, and we expect completion of this later this summer. I sincerely apologize for the issues you faced with the Internet reliability and hope that with this improved service upgrade we can look forward to welcoming you back.

If I can be of personal service at any time, please contact me at gm@magnoliahotel.com

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Im still upset about my so called vacation.
The room we had looks nothing like the pictures I saw on Trip advisor! Our bed was supposedly a King, but it was small, probably because our room was small. We had no bathroom counter,and the whole room was very small.(Look at the pictures I posted)
We were in the second floor ( do not stay here if you are on this floor! You have been warned). Our room faced a noisy Restraunt/pub.
They kept us up until late and then the seagulls woke us up at 4:00am. and after dozing off a bit, then the street cleaner woke us up at 6:10am!!
The windows are brutal! I could hear conversations going on at the restraunt with the windows closed and air conditioning going. You will also hear every car that drives by.
We were booked for 3 nights and there was nothing anyone could do to help us! 3 nights of lousy sleep which meant I was tired my entire vacation. There must have been something they could for us for at least one night! Don't you think? This was not even a weekend! (Wed, Thurs, Fri)
I am hoping we just got a bad room but this has been the worst recommended hotel I have ever taken from Tripadvisor. I don't understand the reviews unless I just got a terrible room ( for 3 nights!!!)
Don't get caught up on the location reviews. There are countess hotels close to downtown and much better prices and Im sure you will get a better sleep than we did.
We bought ear plugs for the second and third night and that helped a bit.
I would recommend looking at any hotel other than this one and don't worry about location, they are all walking distance to the action.
If you do decide to stay here I suggest a corner room or a room facing the parliament building on A HIGH floor!
The bed was comfortable but small. I see other photos and the beds looked huge, not ours. Obviously the room was too small to handle a regular King.
There was also a dirty rag left on our towel holder which was not such a big deal to me but it needed to be mentioned here.
The fitness room is small but does have free weights and a small sauna.
We travel A LOT and walk and bike and are very active. Not getting a good night sleep while on vacation is the worst! It happened to us for 3 nights in a row and we tried to make the best of it but when you are always tired it sucks!
Having said all of that, the staff were nice and we did get some great tips and a complete day trip planned to Port Renfrew by Steve at the front desk.
Thanks Steve.
To all Trip advisors, do your homework and stay somewhere else or ensure you get a room on a high floor facing the Parliament buildings!

(Wed, Thurs, Friday)

8  Thank k3see5
MagnoliaHtl, Director of Sales at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear K3see5,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay! As this obviously ruined your holiday, we would like the opportunity to make it up to you. Please contact either myself or Blair Bain, Front Office Manager.

Ronette Nyhan
Director of Sales
Toll-free: 1-877-624-6654

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The lobby is not impressive but the rooms are extremely elegant and a good size. The location is very convenient. Some rooms have the harbor views although you will be looking over the roof tops with much bird mess! The breakfast is average at best. The staff helpful and pleasant. Did not have enough time to use the SPA.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting a car - everything is close by.
1  Thank KiraMexico