“Average only”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Magnolia Hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews as well as recommendations from friends. We were certainly underwhelmed by the experience. We were expecting the hotel to be a lot of than just average. Although the lobby is quite nice, we found the room looked quite tired and in need of a refurbishing. It was nice having the breakfast included as part of the hotel room price. Breakfast was available from 6 AM to 10AM. However, if you only show up after 9AM, like we did, they were already out of bacon and had no plans to replenish. We had to just eat what was available. It being a weekend, and I guess the occupancy of the hotel was high, there was not much left of the warm breakfast items. I think that the hotel should plan accordingly.

The first night we stayed there, as we were getting in bed, we found a used Kleenex under one of our pillows. We were a little shocked. We should have let the hotel know immediately but decided to wait the following morning. Since we failed to report it immediately, we felt we had missed an opportunity to do so. Nonetheless, we were a little concerned about the housekeeping quality.

To be fair, the staff are always very friendly and helpful. As well, it is nicely located in Victoria.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1,483
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that your stay did not live up to the recommendations of your friends, and other Trip Advisor travelers. I hope we can be in touch and discuss the issues you faced with breakfast and the housekeeping issue.

Thank you for the kind compliments about our staff, the elegant lobby and our central location. I hope that we can be in touch and have you back with us to win you over on all of the elements of our hotel.

With respect to the guest rooms, I appreciate the feedback and I am pleased to let you know that this coming winter we will be undergoing extensive upgrades to our room product. While the feedback on our product is generally very favorable, we do feel that it is the right time to upgrade. The work will be conducted during our slower months and all rooms should be completed by late February to early March. All of the work is planned during business hours, and we have taken careful measures to ensure the floors that remain open will experience the usual excellent levels of service and experience throughout this work.

Thank you again for your stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I have forwarded my contact information via private message, and hope we can be in touch and have you return to The Magnolia.

There are newer reviews for Magnolia Hotel And Spa

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband booked our anniversary getaway and we stayed at the magnolia hotel. When we arrived we were given a complimentary room upgrade. In the room we had champagne set out chocolates and two robes and slippers. We felt like royalty. We were impressed with the cleanliness, the service and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning we were there. There was a very satisfying selection to choose from. We loved every minute of our time in Victoria.Our only regret is that we did not have time for the spa located at the hotel. It came highly recommended. We are saving it for the next trip. Definitely will stay at the Magnolia again!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I found this hotel on trip advisor and reviews were absolutely accurate. Magnolia has won numerous awards. From fresh flowers in foyer, friendly service,turndown service with chocolates as well as chocolates and fruit on arrival to luxury bathrobes, deep bath, spacious and beautifully decorated rooms, this hotel has it all. Centrally located, adjacent to inner harbour, tourist information office, and numerous good restaurants,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WendyWD123
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beautifully appointed rooms with a lot of extra amenities, razors, shaving kit, shower caps professional and friendly front desk staff, great location. Great valet-parking services. Clean rooms, nice complimentary breakfast. I will stay again on my next visit

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was a third visit to The Magnolia Hotel and Spa for us. We chose the upgraded room this visit, with a fireplace and harbor view. Well worth the price - and there are always several deals on their website, depending on your needs. We took advantage of the 30/30 promotion, which is great if you can plan your trip ahead of time. Everything was, once again, excellent. Service is really top notch, from the check-in to the valet who brought our car to the housekeeping staff when we needed something. There are nice extras - water, apples and chocolates, bath salts, lots of bathroom amenities. Rooms are so quiet - we never heard another guest. The robes and slippers are luxurious. The hotel is centrally located without being in the noisy and bustling downtown. There are many wonderful restaurants located within walking distance - we tried Bon Rouge, which is next door, and it was wonderful. Great shopping is steps outside the door. We did not stay long enough to take advantage of the spa, but plan to on our return visit in January. This hotel is well worth its price, hands down!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poppiesyarn
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Poppiesyarn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review of the hotel following your recent stay.
We appreciate your business, and look forward to welcoming you back in January!

Please let me know directly when you are coming back to book.
It would be my pleasure to assist you with these and ensure we book an equally lovely room with the fireplace and a view.

Best Wishes,

The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
Email: gm@magnoliahotel.com
Direct tel: 250-412-8480

Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you are planning a trip to beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada I highly suggest staying at the Magnolia! This year was the 3rd year in a row my best friend and I have stayed here on our annual trip!
The rooms are big and immaculate! The staff is always so pleasant and the General Manager, Bill Lewis is wonderful, my friend and I got to personally meet him on our trip this time and want to thank him for our wonderful stay!
We have yet to try the Prime restaurant and Spa at the Magnolia, because we are always so busy running around. which makes their continental breakfast (you will get a free breakfast voucher when you check in) so great, we can stop there and grab coffee, fruit, pastry, etc. and get on the road for our day out.
The Magnolia is walking distance to stores and restaurants and parks!
Only 11 more months until my friend and I return in 2013! And we definitely will be staying at the Magnolia again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Kitteakat,

Thank you so much for staying with us again. It was a pleasure to meet you and your friend, and I can't wait to welcome you back again with us next year!

All the best wishes in the coming year,

The Magnolia Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our two night stay at the Magnolia was most enjoyable. As others have said, the hotel is in a great location -- walk to everything including the ferry terminal -- very clean, quiet, well appointed, fairly priced, and comfortable. We particularly appreciated the attention to many small details which help you feel welcome: above average toiletries, evening turn-down, chocolates, water, nice coffee set-up in the lobby all day. The complimentary breakfast offered many "healthy' choices -- yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. -- which we were very happy to see.

If you are taking in Buchart Gardens, stop by the tourist office in the inner harbor to get a bus schedule and details on how to take a local city bus to get there. This is a bargain, easy to do, and lets you rub shoulders with people other than other tourists.

We had enjoyable meals at two brew pubs in town; both are right on the water and have not only fine beer but very good eats.

Victoria is a beautiful city and if we ever go back, I'm sure we'll stay at The Magnolia the second time around.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple