“Close to everything!”

Magnolia Hotel And Spa
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed at the Magnolia hotel and went on the Orcas and Orchids package with a friend. We had a blast. The hotel is convenient to the inner harbour and to its' many activities.

We zip lined in Sooke, did museums in Victoria, toured the Parliament building, whale watched, walked Butchard gardens, and had High Tea at The Empress hotel all in 48 hours!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Larkspur3
Write a ReviewReviews (2,866)

Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband, myself and our two boys (13 & 9) stayed at the Magnolia for two nights in early July. We couldn't have picked a better hotel. The rooms, while not huge, were well appointed and the bed extremely comfortable. I love a good shower and this was one of the best. Upon check-in we received free breakfast passes for each day. While I think this may be included with the room rate, we were not aware ahead of time so it was a nice surprise. The breakfast was a notch above the usual "free" fare. It included fresh fruit, muffins that appeared homemade, bagels, oatmeal, etc. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful with directions. I also appreciated the hot tea/coffee available in the lobby, the free wi-fi and the chocolates on my pillow. Since this was a family trip, I did not get the chance to visit the spa. However, I would definitely give the Magnolia two thumbs-up!

1  Thank roswelljules
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have mixed feelings about the hotel we stayed at. I almost feel I was misled by their photos and reviews but considering what i look for in a hotel I can overlook it. This hotel was awarded the 2011 Conde Nast Travelers as well as Trip Advisor. While the hotel was situated in an ideal location close to the Inner Harbour and the touristy streets I felt it almost was taunted by the famous towering Empress Hotel. The façade of the hotel was plain brick and boasted nothing as I imagined a luxury hotel to have—but moving on inside the interior was much better; the lobby was cozy and felt welcoming. The front desk was pleasant and helpful. Our room was on the 2nd floor of the 7 floors the hotel. Walking into our room we were welcomed by a spacious area. I usually do a quick inspection of cleanliness and bathroom checks and both passed. Considering how small the overall hotel is I expected the room to be tiny but it didn’t disappoint. The bathroom was clean and accented with nickel on the vanities. There was a shower and a soaking bathtub. My only complaint about the bathroom was the shower- it was fairly narrow and not much room to maneuver which is saying a lot since I am on the very thin side.

The wet bar in the corner was a nice touch to the room and at the opposite side of the room was chairs to lounge on. The hotel was attentive to details which I rarely see especially in older hotels. One thing I did notice was the high number of older couples staying at this hotel—I can say without exaggeration we were 40 years younger than rest of the hotel guests but this leads for quiet ambiance.

Overall I’d say location is ideal, street it resides on is QUIET, there's free wi-fi and the room is clean and big but for the same price you can get a room at the Empress Hotel however reading reviews from Tripadvisor makes me wonder if I should gamble and go to a well established brand name or go for something that is quality...i chose cleanliness and quality anytime!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank place-name-here
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Thank you for your review of your recent visit with us! I appreciate your candid and thorough review of the hotel. It sounds like you had a very nice visit with us.

From the sounds of your expectations you expected a grander hotel. We are a smaller luxury boutique hotel, and if somehow you felt misled by our website and reviews that we were something other than this please accept my apology. As for being taunted by our famous neighbor at the end of the block, we are sorry to hear….but it sounds as though you came to appreciate all of the special elements that make us a small luxury boutique hotel. We hope that when you return you won’t feel taunted again. The 1904 built Empress is certainly grand in size and sits on its’ picturesque location on the Harbour. We feel our offering at the Magnolia is very different. We are a 12-year old traditionally themed small luxury boutique hotel, which was carefully designed in the heart of old-town Victoria to look as though it has always been here, and blend in with our historic neighborhood.

Thank you again for your review. I’m thrilled that you noted our ideal location close to the Inner Harbour, the lobby being cozy and feeling welcoming, attention to details, great service, and most notably a cleanliness and quality that would leave you likely to return.

We hope to see you back soon,

The Magnolia Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 8, 2011

We just finished our late snack brought up from the Prime Steakhouse ,part of the hotel...
OMG!
The Lobster salad with huge chunks of lobster tail, the coconut shrimp with delicious Homemade sauce and the fresh raw oysters! The Canadian method is so much better than mom showed me (Gulf Coast)
There's shredded horseradish and some ice cold vinegar type sauce for the oysters...WoW!!
The best place to dine in Victoria seems to be right here at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Painter88
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We arrived early and checked our bags with the bellman. The Magnolia was just steps away from the shops on Government Street. Also we walked down to the waterfront and took a water taxi to Barbs Fish & Chips on Fisherman's Wharf and watched the kids feed the seals.
Our room had a view of the Capitol building and the Fairmont. The manager left us a nice note and a box of Rogers Chocolates which we devoured and went back to Rogers to make our own purchase there (twice!). Our room had luxury bathrobes and some spa slippers. The slippers were ours to keep so we wore them throughout the rest of our vacation. There were also apples, bottled waters, and some additional chocolates waiting on us too. Very nice. We loved the breakfast the next morning. We were able to arrange a horse and carriage pick up right at the Magnolia. Thanks to the Magnolia for giving us the royal treatment to start off our vacation right!!
p.s. the Bellman was so polite. We had forgotten to remove the DND sign from our door, but we called for a bellman to help with our luggage that morning. So he would not knock; he had the lobby phone us first.

1  Thank Cheryl4674
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The Magnolia is a nice hotel with a great location. Beautiful views of downtown Victoria, especially the legislature building. However, I was surprised by the poor quality of the complementary breakfast and that the 'fresh fruit' in your room is a single green apple per person. Was additionally disappointed that you have to pay $20 for valet parking. I also was surprised when even though the 'privacy please' tag was on the door, the mini-bar service still knocked and wanted to come in to check my mini-bar. I also didn't find the bed to be that comfortable. Just the day before arriving at the Magnolia I stayed at a Best Western while in another town on Vancouver Island and found the bed and linens to be much more comfortable there, and I paid $50 less a night.

Overall the stay was ok, but not worth what we paid. With so many other hotels in the area and with the same views, I'll be trying another hotel next time I am in downtown Victoria.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CD154913
MagnoliaHotelGM, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Dear CD154913,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.
We appreciate your sharing your feedback online.

I am truly sorry to hear that your hotel experience was not up to your expectations.
I have forwarded my personal contact information, and hope to hear back from you
to get more information about this visit.

We pride ourselves in an exceptional and intimate boutique hotel experience at the Magnolia, which generally meets with great feedback and return visits. It is always disappointing when we fall short of this expectation, and I hope we have the opportunity to make this up to you.

Thank you again for your feedback and your business with us,

I hope we can be in touch, and see you back again with us at The Magnolia,

Bill Lewis
The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My family stayed here for two nights and we were pleasantly suprised at the overall experience. The staff was helpful and friendly, making out visit much more comfortable. It is within walking distance to great shops, restaurants, and other sites of interest. I would defintely stay there again.

My only criticism is in the email communication. My reservation confirmation was incorrect, so I tried to email the hotel but could not get a response (even using the email address listed on their website and not the no-reply email service for the confirmations). Fortunately, they have a toll free phone number that I used. Other than that the stay was great.

1  Thank CaliforniaNerdboy

CaliforniaNerdboy,
Thank for the great feedback about your recent stay with us at The Magnolia Hotel & Spa.
We appreciate your sharing about your experience online, and hope to see you back again soon.
Please accept my apologies for the email challenges you faced with your reservations.
We are looking in to this incident to ensure this is resolved, and glad that you had a great stay with us despite this issue.

Yours Truly,