James Bay Inn Hotel, Suites & Cottage
Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We enjoyed our stay here, at this hotel. Our room was very clean, it had an old fashioned feel and the character of the hotel has been kept and not been modernised, which we liked! We had a big room at the front and the room had an en suite and even a wlak in wardrobe! It was very good value for money and would recommend this hotel. Victoria is a great place to visit and the location of the hotel was only a short walk fro the centre.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 31, 2009

We stayed with my parents and our two small children in the cottage for one night. What a pleasant surprise. We weren't expecting much as we booked very last minute, but the 2 bedrooms were very nicely turned out and the kids slept comfortably on the pull-out couch in the lounge.
The cottage is a free-standing 2 bedroom house just next to the hotel. It has its own parking.
All the furniture was of good solid quality and the kitchen was fully stocked with all kinds of appliances - even an electric mixer for a pancake breakfast!
We all loved staying there and the location couldn't be better - walking distance to centre of town and all the harbour.
We had dinner at the lounge and had a good meal at a (very) good price thanks to the discount given to hotel guests.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed one night at the J.B.I.on the long week end of Aug.2009
Location, location, location, it is right behind the Parliment Buildings and a short walk to the hustle and bustle of down town Victoria.
The street was very quiet with the occasional clip clopping of the horse carriages going by.Very quaint.
the Hotel is just about 100 years old so expect all that comes with a building of that age.The rooms are small but clean.Our bed and pillows were very comfy and the bathroom has been updated and was very clean,plumbing all in good working order.
there is a hint of mustiness about the place...again comes with the age....
The original wordwork in the lobby is lovely,the stained glass windows charming and the stair case creaky! But it is all from a goneby era and if you love that then you will be fine staying here.NO ELEVATOR so if stairs are an issue,you may want to rethink this hotel.
If you need all the modern amenities and hotel chain ambiance,then this would not be a good choice for you.
Front desk staff were friendly,sadly we never got to try out the pub in the hotel,but you do get 15% off your bill.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent a weekend in Victoria and stayed at the James Bay. Its a cute, historic building tucked three blocks from Inner Harbour. The staff were very friendly and upgraded us to a Queen bed upon arrival. We had room 217. It was perfect for the two of us. Spacious, bright, with a large bathroom! The bar and restaurant on site are very good too. Reading some of the other reviews, I was a bit apprehensive but after staying there I have no idea why those people made such a big deal of the stairs. Yes there is no elevator and you have to "gasp" walk up flights of stairs, but the building is over 100 years old. It has character, its amazingly affordable for Victoria, and it isn't a boring Hojo.

If you want generic don't stay here. If you want something charming and affordable James Bay Inn is the perfect place!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Booked this hotel through an Expedia package and was very pleased with the great price and quirky charm. Loved the old glass windows, creaky stairs and panel furniture. My plane trip was delayed by one day due to weather and the James Bay Inn desk clerk arranged with Expedia to give me a refund for the night, which I appreciated.

I requested a quiet room on the top floor and was given exactly what I wanted: room 324 (back of hotel, top floor). It was clean and the plumbing had no problems. My bed was extremely comfortable and I slept well all 5 nights. The wireless connection was reliable. I enjoyed the Seafood Chowder from the downstairs pub for dinner. The service at the restaurant was friendly and efficient (thanks, Lisa!). It snowed the day I arrived, but the room was warm and comfortable.

I agree with the other reviewer who said this is *NOT* a Westin --- if you require a modern setup with starchy linens, chocolates on the pillow, an elevator, coffee maker and combo hair dryer/telephone in the bathroom, go elsewhere! If you are looking for something a little different, though, the James Bay Inn is a unique place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2008

After finding a slew of other hotels were full, I was happy to get a room at the James Bay Inn a few weeks before an August trip. I suppose I wasn't expecting much, so the lack of atmosphere in the basic room did not bother me. The location was very convenient - just a few blocks behind Parliament - as was the free parking. I also appreciated the free internet terminal in the lobby and a little shared balcony on the 2nd floor. Also, I managed to clog our bathroom sink in a particularly messy way, and the staff was very nice about it even though it took them a few hours to clear. (Thanks!) The staff was quite pleasant throughout our stay. A good bet if you want a good value place and do not plan to lounge about in your room that much.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I was disappointed with the hotel and it's procedures. I had made reservations for the James Bay Cottage in August, before I made the reservations for the Clipper. I called again Thanksgiving weekend to re-confirm our stay and was assured that we were correctly listed for the cottage. I had requested that because our son Mark, who would have just celebrated his fortieth birthday, was going to accompany us for this vacation and the suite would be perfect for us.

The inn must have had a better offer – one which would bring them more revenue – because when I signed in I was informed that “some of your party have arrived already... oh, I'm sorry, the cottage is already occupied.” They apologized profusely and when I quoted back my booking number they said, “yes, that is correct, you requested a queen sized bed and a pull-out.” I had never mentioned that combination. Sensing my disappointment (how could they not – I was furious) they offered me adjoining rooms (318 and 320) on the top floor. I guess they thought my unhappiness would abate by the time I hauled all the luggage up three landings but when we arrived at the top we discovered that the shower and toilet facilities were accessed through our room instead of being shared between the two rooms.

Fortunately, the James Bay Inn is old and quaint, similar to many smaller but better hotels we have stayed in Europe. They had a “public bath” down the hall and Mark used that facility during his stay. Unfortunately, that was not the only problem with our rooms. We could not regulate the heat! Both rooms were stifling. There were no handles on the bathroom radiator or the floorboard heater in room 320. There was a control on the radiator in room 318. We opened windows in each room and in the bathroom to cool down the place while we were out discovering Victoria.

Upon our return we found the rooms were still hot. I managed to take a wine opener and force the control off on both heaters of our room but even with the windows open in 4° C we were still quite hot through the night. By the second evening we had the temperature down to normal. Now two of three problems with our stay were “adjusted.”

The last problem was never solved. The seal between the water closet and the commode was failing. Every time you flushed the toilet a trickle of water would flow from the tank over the back of the seat an onto the floor. Folding a towel and laying it between the toilet and the shower stall did prevent one having to step barefoot in water at night. And in the hotel's defense, the maid did change out the floor towel each day. It was not a good solution but all the management would have done is “ apologize profusely” anyway.

The rooms were not yet cleared for occupancy nor had we expected them to be. It was early and we just wanted a place to leave our luggage. One advantage of the James Bay Inn is it's location. Just three blocks behind the BC Parliament, it is within easy walking distance of downtown Victoria. For the next four days we took great advantage of that fact.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family