“Not satisfied this time”

Pendray Inn and Tea House
Ranked #11 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 19, 2013

When we arrived I went to the main hotel to register, Then up to the room in the Gatsby. When I first entered our room I noticed that the floor was well worn and dirty (Not vacumed) - food particules on the carpet. There were cob-webs all over in our room and the windows were dirty. There was an old style tube tv in our room. The drinking glasses and coffee cups were clean. They had 1 ea. of reg and decaf complimentry coffee. (More was offered the second day.) The bed was clean. The bathroom was almost clean (Dirt in the corners) and the tile grouting could have used a good cleaning. They supplied towels and soap (1 small bar of soap). The first evening we had dinner down stairs - there was only one staff member on for the whole restaurant. She did a fantastic job serving us and the other guests. She was always there when needed offered drinks and wine, and topped up our drinks quickly. I think she gave us the best service of any restaurant we were at during our stay in Victoria. The food was great. My steak was done perfectly. The downstairs areas were clean and tidy. No drink or ice machines in the Gatsby. You have to go to the main Hotel 2nd floor to get anything. Overall I was unhappy with this visit. I stayed at the Gatsby in the past and was extremely pleased before. It has sure changed. Probably will not go back again. (I will probably have dinner there though.)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Pendray Inn and Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our staff we do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The properties, including the Huntingdon Hotel and the Gatby Mansion, are expected to undergo extensive renovations once under new ownership.
Our employees are doing daily their best to look after all our customer's requests and find the best solution to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Thank you for your wonderful comments on the dinner at Gatsby.
We are looking forward to your next visit and please do let me know in advance once you have decided on a particular arrival date.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My partner and I stayed in a room at the Gatsby Mansion last September. The room was really cosy with rich rosewood antique furniture and sumptuous bedlinens. It was a small room, but elegantly appointed. The bathroom was small, but it had character. We ate at the restaurant downstairs that night. Expensive (white linen tablecloths) but the food was very good and the service top-rate. This hotel oozes with history and character. It's also very conveniently placed downtown within walking distance of all the attractions. I have fond memories of my stay here, and would enjoy coming back.

Room Tip: Ask the desk clerk for a room upgrade.
3  Thank Annette060
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Pendray Inn and Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for having been our guest during your last trip to Victoria.
In behalf of all our employees, thank you for your wonderful review, we do appreciate your feedback very much.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the hopefully near future.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I's 15th anniversary was coming up.
So I Planed and reserved everything at least month ahead of time.
I booked the Romance package and upgraded to the best room in the place, The #5 Fitzgerald.
So everything was reserved, paid for, and good to go.
Until the day we show up...
Apparently our room had been "double booked"?
First off I'd like to know how it is my phone won't let me "double book" an appointment.
Yet a major hotel's computer allows them to slot two people into the same room?
Seems more likely that they had the chance to rent the room out at a higher rate then what I was paying (I booked a package and therefore got a discount) so they figured since I had prepaid for dinner, a room, and breakfast. there was a good chance I'd suck it up and take a different room.
Of course being my anniversary they were right, as I didn't have much choice unless I was going to tell my wife. "sorry hunny I'm canceling are anniversary".

For the "Inconvenience" they took $50 off the bill, and put us in the Secondary "Fitzgerald" room.
If check on there web sight you can see that the two are not even comparable, So I'm not sure why the rank them the same.

We are locales and used to go for dinner and afternoon tea at the restaurant here.
But this was so infuriating and unprofessional I cant see myself ever giving them my business again.

2  Thank Tim F
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Pendray Inn and Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and more importantly, thank you for your comments and your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered on this very special occasion.
I can and would like to offer an explanation and a solution acceptable to you if you would please contact my office.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were totally unprepared and delighted with "stepping back in time" in our stay at the Gatsby Mansion Inn. We were upgraded to the "Fitzgerald" room with a sweeping view of Victoria Harbour and downtown Victoria across the way. The furnishings were all early 1900's with the welcome addition of a flat screen TV and a modern bath/shower. The dining area was beautifully appointed with period pieces and staffed by a wonderful, conversational server, whose name I unfortunately forgot, but who was well-versed on wines and wineries in the area. My apologies for forgetting her name. The food was impeccably served and delicious. "High Tea' was equally relaxing and half the price of High Tea at the Empress across the harbour. We hated to leave, and will definitely be back for another "turn of the century" visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second or third floor with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for having stayed with us and for taking the time to post your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees, thank you for your positive feedback and we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again in the hopefully near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Gatsby the end of September 2012, having booked well in advance we recieved a discounted rate for the "Carroway Room" - had we not received the discount we would have requested a different room. The picture they advertise as the Carroway Room is definitely NOT what we stayed in, having read the reviews we know this is a catagory of rooms, but as I said the picture they advertise on their website is not what you get.
The room was clean with beautiful furniture, but the bathroom needed serious updating - cracked floor tiles, mildew in the shower & the window has probably not been cleaned for a very long time.
Location could not be beat - walking distance to almost everything.
We would consider staying at this establishment again, but would NOT pay the price they ask...seriously look for a deal before booking here, if not make sure you get what they advertise.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Pendray Inn and Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments, we do appreciate and value your feedback.
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and do consider returning.
In behalf of all our employees, thank you for having been our guest and we are looking forward to your return.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I never even saw the inside of the Gatsby Mansion.
This place was a huge disappointment. The online photos for the Gatsby Mansion are beautiful. When we arrived we were placed in a room at the Huntingdon Hotel on the back of the property which is nothing but a plain motel room. The bed was not a king size bed but actually two regular (short) twin beds pushed together with a sheet over them. The ceiling in the room was bubbled and peeling, the kitchenette looked like something out of the '60's, the furniture was old and worn with no cushioning left. I would never have booked with Gatsby Mansion if I had know I would be placed in a room like this. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: There a plenty of good places in Victoria. I would avoid this one.
1  Thank Jim M
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Pendray Inn and Tea House, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Guest
We appreciate your feedback, thank you for posting your comments.
Our apologies that we obviously have not been able to meet your expectations. Our staff is doing their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. If however you are not happy with the room we assigned you or with any other service we provide, don't hesitate to let us.
We would have liked to hear from you while you were still staying with us and we would have had a chance to perhaps assign you a different room.
The Huntindon Hotel and the Gatsby Mansion are under new ownership and renovation plans are being prepared for the off season.
we would like to welcome you back next year for a new experience.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I don't disagree with the other writers but keep an open mind. This is an old hotel/inn. We stayed on the top floor of the Gatsby Mansion, in the turret room (#10) We had a large room with private bath and an excellent view of the harbor, the busy street and the Empress from our panoramic windows. Yes some were painted shut. The carpet needs to be replaced ( it's past the 'clean it one more time' stage). The 4 poster bed was comfortable but squeaky. The location, quaintness, and friendly staff over-road the outdated and worn features. We have stayed in some very nice places in our travels. This was not the Empress but for a fraction of the price and an included breakfast, it was enjoyable. It is definitely not a B&B. checking in requires a hike to the hotel entrance and breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant across the patio but that was OK because we weren't looking for a B&B on this trip.
With a carpet and furniture update plus a little more details about what to expect, this place can be a somewhere to return. Unfortunately for the Gatsby there is a great deal of competition on the Harbor so they need to get busy with updates quickly. The staff was delightful. Dinner in the Gatsby Mansion was delicious.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple