“Bait and Switch!”

Ranked #14 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Bait and Switch!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I never even saw the inside of the Gatsby Mansion.
This place was a huge disappointment. The online photos for the Gatsby Mansion are beautiful. When we arrived we were placed in a room at the Huntingdon Hotel on the back of the property which is nothing but a plain motel room. The bed was not a king size bed but actually two regular (short) twin beds pushed together with a sheet over them. The ceiling in the room was bubbled and peeling, the kitchenette looked like something out of the '60's, the furniture was old and worn with no cushioning left. I would never have booked with Gatsby Mansion if I had know I would be placed in a room like this. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: There a plenty of good places in Victoria. I would avoid this one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim M
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest
We appreciate your feedback, thank you for posting your comments.
Our apologies that we obviously have not been able to meet your expectations. Our staff is doing their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. If however you are not happy with the room we assigned you or with any other service we provide, don't hesitate to let us.
We would have liked to hear from you while you were still staying with us and we would have had a chance to perhaps assign you a different room.
The Huntindon Hotel and the Gatsby Mansion are under new ownership and renovation plans are being prepared for the off season.
we would like to welcome you back next year for a new experience.
Bernd Bohl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I don't disagree with the other writers but keep an open mind. This is an old hotel/inn. We stayed on the top floor of the Gatsby Mansion, in the turret room (#10) We had a large room with private bath and an excellent view of the harbor, the busy street and the Empress from our panoramic windows. Yes some were painted shut. The carpet needs to be replaced ( it's past the 'clean it one more time' stage). The 4 poster bed was comfortable but squeaky. The location, quaintness, and friendly staff over-road the outdated and worn features. We have stayed in some very nice places in our travels. This was not the Empress but for a fraction of the price and an included breakfast, it was enjoyable. It is definitely not a B&B. checking in requires a hike to the hotel entrance and breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant across the patio but that was OK because we weren't looking for a B&B on this trip.
With a carpet and furniture update plus a little more details about what to expect, this place can be a somewhere to return. Unfortunately for the Gatsby there is a great deal of competition on the Harbor so they need to get busy with updates quickly. The staff was delightful. Dinner in the Gatsby Mansion was delicious.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TTidball
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed August 28, 2012

While the Gatsby Mansion advertises itself as a B&B, it is actually two Victorian buildings (the Mansion and the Judges House managed from a third, the Huntingdon Motel, that sits between them on the same lot. Supposedly each room is named after a character in The Great Gatsby, and we booked "The Baker Room." The room we received at check in was entirely different than the photo and advertisement. The paint was peeling in places, the carpet was dirty, and there was no four poster bed as described in the ad and room photo. I checked the hotel website to ensure I had not made a mistake, and "The Baker Room" was still listed as available for the nights that we booked it. When I inquired with the manager, he explained that "Baker" is a category they use to describe a number of rooms, and therefore, the rooms are not necessarily as shown. The Baker photo in their ad was not even taken in the Gatsby Mansion, it was from a different room in another building. The manager appeared embarrassed and they switched us into the Baker room shown on the website. It was still run down, but at least it was the room we booked. The service was no more impressive than the rooms as there was no luggage assistance and housekeeping during our stay. I agree with the previous reviewer, this hotel offers a good location and nothing more. Caveat emptor.

2 Thank deorr
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees, I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay and it seems we have not been able to meet your expectations.
Our staff is doing their best to ensure all our guests and their individual requests are looked after.
This is sometimes and particularly in Heritage buildings not that easy, as it is correct with most of the rooms, as individual as they are, being categorized under one type.
I can assure you we are taking your concerns and comments very serious and will review them carefully. This to hopefully ensure similar experiences can be avoided.
Bernd Bohl

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Victoria
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The B&B gets one point for the location. Everything else is a big disappointment. If you expect a lovely B&B with charme, something private and familiar, a cosy room, a home that someone is taking care of and friendly hosts that love to talk to people, give recommendations about what to do, where to eat, a host who actually enjoys what he is doing... do not go there.
It is connected to another hotel, so you check in at a reception, your rooms are in a completely different buildingwith a restaurant located at the entrance level. The restaurant looks taken care of, something you expect when you think of grand english style. Well, the moment you walk upstairs it gets darker and dirtier, the rooms (at least the 2 we stayed at) are all used, tatty, expect torn sofa covers, wonky tables and shelfs, dirty tablecloths, you cannot close the bathroom doors. The windows frames are painted over so you cannot open them. Problem was, the heating could not be switched off (in August) and it was pretty hot in the room. We changed to another room which was as old and used as the other one, but least you could open the windows.. Breakfast: You get breakfast vouchers worth about 31.63 CAD which is definitely not enough for 2 people (yoghurt, muesli, 2 eggs and coffee for 2 people). So after having paid 170 bucks for a room per night, we ended up paying even more for breakfast..
Do me a favour - stay away!

2 Thank Emalaleni
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our staff we do apologize that you seemingly did not enjoy your stay with us.
The properties, including the Huntingdon Hotel and the Gatby Mansion, are under new ownership and extensive renovation plans are are being prepared for the off season.
Our employees are doing daily their best to look after all our customer's requests and find the best solution to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Perhaps if you would have mentioned to us immediately you did not enjoy the room you had been assigned we could have assisted you and offered a different choice.
City, StateAberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We last stayed at the Gatsby mansion some ten or eleven years ago and were lucky enough to have the large bedroom with a veranda, on the first floor overlooking the harbour. When our cruise ship docked at Victoria earlier this month, for just one evening, we headed straight for the Gatsby Mansion to have dinner.
It was still a little oasis of charm, and although it was quiet, selfishly, we enjoyed this, after the crowded dining conditions of the cruise ship.
We had dinner on the terrace, and were served by an extremely pleasant waitress. Food was the best example of West Coast cooking I have had, and the wine, from the Okanagan Valley, was very good indeed.
I feel so disappointed on reading some of the recent reviews. Some people obviously do not understand what they are booking...it's a hotel for those who appreciate the charms of yesteryear, not those expecting the bland offerings of chain hotel groups.
I do hope that the new owners succeed in keeping this little glimpse of the past

2 Thank ultraview
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful review and of course that you decided to stay with us again. We every much appreciate your feedback.
Our Gatsby Mansion does infact display a different and unique style of hospitality and we are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Chef D'Arcy Ladret and his front line staff do thank you as well and wanted me to mention they truly enjoyed your visit.
As we are now moving into the next phase with planned renovations within the next few months, we are hoping you will visit us again in the near future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed one VERY REGRETTABLE night at the Gatsby Mansion in Victoria in early August this year(2012). This hotel is also known as the Belleville Park Resort, the Huntingdon Hotel or the Ramada Huntingdon Hotel. My room was filled with old worn furniture, dust and a heavy mouldy odeur. When I first arrived in my room I immediately discovered that there was no shower, just an old fashioned bathtub with a very small tap. I spoke to the front desk clerk who was completely unsympathetic and extremely rude. He suggested that asking for a room with a shower was a very unusual and unreasonable request. I was told that the Gatsby was a Bed and Breakfast and that a shower doesn't come with a Bed and Breakfast. When I made my reservation earlier in the year, the Gatsby was advertised as a hotel, not a bed and breakfast. Anyway, who has ever heard of that? I have stayed at bed and breakfasts all over England and Ireland and have always been provided with a shower. He told me that if I REALLY needed to clean myself (How crazy?), I could exit my hotel in the morning, walk around the block to a separate hotel entrance where the front desk was located, and from there I could access the basement washroom next to the underground parking lot where there was a curiously placed public shower. Sounds SAFE AND DIGNIFIED for myself, my 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter at 6am, doesn't it?Later that night I discovered millions of BED BUGS and was completely unable to sleep! Before leaving the hotel the next morning, I sat in the restaurant next to the front desk area and saw COCKROACHES climbing the walls. I was sitting there waiting for my breakfast that was supposed to come with my Bed and Breakfast, however there was no breakfast??? I have never in my life had such a disgusting and horrible experience with staff or hotel environment in a hotel anywhere in the world!!! I have stayed at youth hostels that were better!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joan O
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, as we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of our employees I do thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to Victoria, but I also apologize sincerely for the inconveniences you encountered.
Our front line staff is trying to accommodate and assist every guest as much as possible to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay. However in your case we must have failed to do so.
Allow me to suggest, if you would agree, for you to contact me at your convenience, as we would like to have the opportunity to correct our mistakes.
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just be aware that not all rooms are in the "Mansion" and that "heritage" sometimes means "old and neglected". The staff was courteous and the room was clean. The location on the inner harbour is wonderful. However, it is not good value for the most crucial aspect of any hotel.... a great bed providing a decent sleep.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments, as we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees I would like to thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to Victoria.
The property, as it has been recently purchased and is under new ownership and management, will be undergoing extensive internal and external renovations within the next months.
Part of these plans are upgrading our general bedding situation.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Victoria in the hopefully near future and sincerely hope you will then stay with us again.