“Worst Hotel Ever!!”

Ranked #14 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Worst Hotel Ever!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed one VERY REGRETTABLE night at the Gatsby Mansion in Victoria in early August this year(2012). This hotel is also known as the Belleville Park Resort, the Huntingdon Hotel or the Ramada Huntingdon Hotel. My room was filled with old worn furniture, dust and a heavy mouldy odeur. When I first arrived in my room I immediately discovered that there was no shower, just an old fashioned bathtub with a very small tap. I spoke to the front desk clerk who was completely unsympathetic and extremely rude. He suggested that asking for a room with a shower was a very unusual and unreasonable request. I was told that the Gatsby was a Bed and Breakfast and that a shower doesn't come with a Bed and Breakfast. When I made my reservation earlier in the year, the Gatsby was advertised as a hotel, not a bed and breakfast. Anyway, who has ever heard of that? I have stayed at bed and breakfasts all over England and Ireland and have always been provided with a shower. He told me that if I REALLY needed to clean myself (How crazy?), I could exit my hotel in the morning, walk around the block to a separate hotel entrance where the front desk was located, and from there I could access the basement washroom next to the underground parking lot where there was a curiously placed public shower. Sounds SAFE AND DIGNIFIED for myself, my 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter at 6am, doesn't it?Later that night I discovered millions of BED BUGS and was completely unable to sleep! Before leaving the hotel the next morning, I sat in the restaurant next to the front desk area and saw COCKROACHES climbing the walls. I was sitting there waiting for my breakfast that was supposed to come with my Bed and Breakfast, however there was no breakfast??? I have never in my life had such a disgusting and horrible experience with staff or hotel environment in a hotel anywhere in the world!!! I have stayed at youth hostels that were better!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joan O
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, as we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of our employees I do thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to Victoria, but I also apologize sincerely for the inconveniences you encountered.
Our front line staff is trying to accommodate and assist every guest as much as possible to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay. However in your case we must have failed to do so.
Allow me to suggest, if you would agree, for you to contact me at your convenience, as we would like to have the opportunity to correct our mistakes.
Bernd Bohl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just be aware that not all rooms are in the "Mansion" and that "heritage" sometimes means "old and neglected". The staff was courteous and the room was clean. The location on the inner harbour is wonderful. However, it is not good value for the most crucial aspect of any hotel.... a great bed providing a decent sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments, as we do appreciate your feedback.
In behalf of all our employees I would like to thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to Victoria.
The property, as it has been recently purchased and is under new ownership and management, will be undergoing extensive internal and external renovations within the next months.
Part of these plans are upgrading our general bedding situation.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in Victoria in the hopefully near future and sincerely hope you will then stay with us again.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Gatsby for a weekend in July. The location is right on the harbor with easy access to all of the downtown attractions. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed our stay. We stayed in a "Baker" room (the lowest price type room) and the furniture is a bit worn (our bed was very squeaky) but the price and location made up for that. We had read other reviews about the rooms being small or not having breakfast included so I called and the person who made our reservation was quite accommodating and honored the "web special" price and explained the features of the various rooms so I could choose which would best suit our needs. If you book directly through the hotel (phone or on their website) you get a voucher towards breakfast at the restaurant. It didn't quite cover the entire bill (depending on what you order), but the food was very good.

Room Tip: Call and speak to someone about the amenities of the different rooms before picking one as the size...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle P
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time and posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
I behalf of all of our employees we thank you for choosing our hotel on your visit to Victoria.
We are looking forward to your next visit in the hopefully near future and remain
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am terribly sorry this has taken so long to write, but rest assured I have given my comments to anyone that would listen. We were there on the May long weekend for my sister-in-laws wedding. When we booked I read all the reviews and was so hesitant that while on the ferry I was looking for alternate hotels. Thank heavens I did NOT CHANGE. The wedding was handled wonderully, the food, the rooms, the breakfasts, the service, the staff.....everything was just so pleasant and top notch. I had the most amazing time the whole weekend. I loved our old quaint room, next time I will book a little larger room but definately back in the Judges house. Thank you so much Gatsby Mansion for everything. I will return!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan L
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback.
In behalf of all our employees we appreciate very much we had the opportunity to host your family's wedding and we are happy everybody enjoyed the event and you enjoyed your stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in the hopefully near future.
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2012

As with a lot of older homes that seem romantic but when trying to stay in them it's a bit of a disappointment. The first room had a slanted ceiling which was awful and we upgraded toa nicer room. The plus side was it was more spacious and the rent was the same. However, the room was dark and the chairs uncomfortable for reading. Everything looked nice but was too dainty to use. In the Gastby, you felt rather abandoned by the staff as there was noone there during the night. The bathtub drained awfully slowly which was a bit disgusting. The staff, bless them, were nice to us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
We are happy to hear you did enjoy your stay, thank you very much for staying with us.
As we are in the process of planning the details for the upcoming renovations in the fall, I will ensure your comments on the interior are being considered.
We are hoping though that you will visit us again in the hopefully near future.
Fonthill, Ontario
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Arriving in Victoria we couldn't believe the location and the presence of this "mansion". We had a second floor room which was absolutely wonderful. Even though it's "old", the house is well updated and is beautiful.
Only downfall is there is no smoking in the courtyard. ALSO The restaurant was so busy in the morning we had to wait an hour for breakfast; very short staffed.
Would highly recommend the mansion for your Victoria stay. It is well situated for sight seeing! Hopefully the restaurant will have get their staffing problems rectified soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Grammamom
HuntingdonVictoria, General Manager at Gatsby Mansion, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
I am happy to hear you did enjoy your stay with us, but do apologize for the invonveniences you encountered during breakfast at the Hotel. Please be assured that your comments will be addressed to ensure that going forward enough staff is scheduled in the mornings.
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We decided to try something different while in Victoria for the Brian Adams concert. We found the Gatsby Mansion Inn through Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor lists this as a Victoria Bed & Breakfast, so we thought the price was reasonable, assuming it included breakfast.

We booked the "Baker Room" which was supposed to be a queen four-poster bed.

On checking in, we found the room was not what we had booked. It was a very plain room with two standard beds. This was very disappointing. We complained to the front desk and were upgraded to a better quality room with a sitting area and balcony.

We were to disappointed again when we went down to inquire about breakfast and we were told it was not included because we had booked over the internet. We were told if we had booked directly, it would have been included. I again complained to the front desk staff and told them this was 'false advertising'. Either you are a 'Bed and Breakfast' or you are not. Eventually, we were provided with a coupon toward our breakfast.

I feel we were mislead on both the room and the breakfast. It is too bad because, we otherwise enjoyed our stay.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank cdnislandman
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for posting your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
Although we are happy to hear you did enjoy your stay with us, I do apologize for the seemingly misleading information you had received regarding the breakfast.
Our employees are doing daily their best to look after all our customer's requests and find the best solution to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
Best Regards
Bernd Bohl

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels