“Bed & Breakfast? or Deluxe Accommodation with a Morning Feast?”

Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental
Ranked #7 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Bed & Breakfast? or Deluxe Accommodation with a Morning Feast?”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My daughter and I were on vacation in Victoria and we found a really great place to stay called Birds of a Feather. They call themselves a bed & breakfast but its more like deluxe accommodation with a morning feast. We stayed in a large beautifully furnished room c/w fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, flat screen TV, fireplace, the most comfortable bed ever and a loft with a second bed. It was an incredible experience. I had coffee on the oversized balcony looking onto the Esquimalt Bird Sanctuary. The view was great. Every morning we went to breakfast in the "main house" and were treated to pastry baked fresh at the local bakery, a dish of fresh berries and our main course could be anything from Salmon Soufflé to Blueberry Quiche or even a really tasty Ham & Cheese Casserole. Deidre was a wealth of information about the area telling us about great places to go & things to do. We stayed for 6 days and every one of them was awesome. I can hardly wait to return. It is the only place I will stay when I next visit Victoria.
I recommend it to everybody from honeymooners to small families. There is a room for any occasion. Thanks to our hosts for helping to make it a really great holiday.
Make sure to check out the 360 degree tours on Birds of a Feather Website to see all the rooms for yourself.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank LMSimpson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We stayed 6 nights and expected more as the price was high. Served an oven baked hash for breakfast. Had to put up with a large barking dog every evening at 11pm. Need I go on.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnotherGreatDay
BirdsofaFeatherBC1, Owner at Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
We had rescued a dog in 2009 and has since been re-homed - we no longer have any pets.

We pride ourselves on serving something different every day. Many of our guests love our Hawaiian baked hash. Fresh fruit, fresh baked goods and healthy cereals and yogurt are also breakfast staples at our table
Alberta
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We recently took a vacation to Vancouver Island in which we'd be spending a few days in Victoria. We searched many B&B's on the internet prior to our trip. We had a difficult time deciding if we wanted to stay in a historic B&B in Victoria or somewhere with a view. Finding Birds of a Feather the view from their rooms won out and what a view we had!

Upon arrival we were met by the family pets, Alice and Taco. Taco, the cutest, friendliest chihuahua with the greatest little story was a highlight. Our plans were to check in and then head out and tour Victoria some more however, once we entered our room and hopped on the over sized feather king bed we decided we weren't going anywhere, we wanted to enjoy our incredible room with an incredible view.

The next morning I had my coffee on the deck and was greeted with an incredible sunrise, otters playing in the lagoon and listening to the many birds singing. It was simply paradise. Our hosts, Dieter and Ashley had a wonderful breakfast waiting for us to start our day. Dieter was a wealth of knowledge during and prior to our stay. He was gracious enough to book us a whale watching tour prior to our trip with Orca Spirit out of Victoria and we weren't disappointed, we seen a pod of Orcas on our trip. He also provided us with great information about whale watching which was able to convince my husband, who suffers from sea sickness, to go with me!

Dieter and Ashley have everything for their guests, fresh flowers in the room, canoes, kayaks and bicycles for their guests. The Honeymoon room had a huge bathroom with an over-sized claw foot tub and rain shower head, the small kitchenette has everything for those that want to cook for themselves. It is conveniently located with easy accessibility to down town Victoria, Hately Castle right next door for those that want to sight see. The room was so welcoming and comforting for those that just want to stay in and relax. Birds of a Feather has it all, through out our stay my husband kept commenting that I couldn't have found a more perfect place to stay. We will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sportyster
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I stayed in several rooms; the owner was eager to accomodate me in spite of them being filled up for the week I was there. Rooms were lovely, very nicely furnished and spotlessly clean.

Location was good for the business I had nearby - a quiet suburb of Victoria, but easy to get to conveniences. If your main interest is visiting downtown Victoria, this may be a bit far for you. But there are some nice sights in the area.

Not quite oceanfront - it's on a peaceful lagoon, but I didn't mind. The ocean was very close.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MichaelS108
florida
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We booked 2 rooms in Aug. Our son's girlfriend had passport issues and never made it out of Seattle. We did not cancel his room. We didn't know the passport problems were goning to happen.. Our fault. We arrived about 7:00 pm to find our key on door with instructions on use of room. No one to give our dinner info or anything. Found out next day the B & B owners were on vacation. Great no one to tell us what to see or how to get around. Talked to son next day, they were not going to be able to make any of the vacation. The only one to tell was the women who made us breakfast and she said she didn't know how they's handle our cancellation. So when the owner came home form their vacation, I contacted them to see if we could get a credit on a future trip. My reply from owners were (you remember I never got to met them) was on our next trip if we stay 3 nights i'll give us the 4th free. Gee do you think I would give them my buisness again. I read many commits on how much info on the area they gave people. We never received that either. Poor buisness!!!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank floridatinker
Cheadle Hulme
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We visited in May. It was a bit more expensive than our other booked accommodation around the island but I fell in love with the place on the internet. Was it worth the extra - to be honest no for the time that we had there and the facilities we used but to be fair that was our fault and not theirs. Its just there is so much to do when you get there unless you are staying about a week or really want to do nothing but relax you really wouldn't.

Just an envelope on the door with our instructions and there is no need to speak to the owner at all as there is a lovely lady there who does the breakfast so we only saw him very briefly. Instructions are to call him on his mobile or email him. He was able to give us excellent instructions on things to do and he is very knowledgeable so there is help there if you need it. The rooms have one separate entrance for coming and going.

The breakfast was very nice but not really a choice. We had a cooked dish one day which was delicious but the children didn't want it but did have the cereal, yoghurt etc but don't think it will be a buffet selection. You all eat around one table which was nice to find out what other have done but not condusive if you have children who don't behave. Luckily ours do!

The accommodation is really nice but I think you would be unlikely to use the limited kitchen area as the food around is nice and reasonably priced. I think the situation is its selling point as the view is lovely. I did expect it to be more remote as its at the bottom of a road of other properties but just to sit on the pontoon and hear the water swishing is a delight.

You will need a car to get there and I had no concept of how big the island is so that 20 minute drive is just that and much more in heavy traffic as we found out.

I cannot complain about the place as if was fabulous but having stayed in other B&B's on the island you can actually get a bit more for your money if you are planning to be out all day .

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We visited Birds of a Feather for our honeymoon, and it was everything we had hoped for. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, and spent the first few peaceful days relaxing and reading on the deck overlooking the lagoon. The room was extremely comfortable, and we enjoyed using the telescope to watch the birds and the other side of the lagoon. We also hiked around town a bit and up the hill to a delightful little bakery featuring pastries and sandwiches.

Dieter was extremely helpful in advising us about the area's highlights. He really made our trip. Every morning we would go down to a delicious full course breakfast, and (if anyone was interested) Dieter would explain exactly where to go, how to get there, what to do, and how best to enjoy it -- with a level of detail that could not have been obtained elsewhere and that greatly contributed to our trip. We went tubing down the Cowichan River, whale watching among the San Juan Islands, daytripping to Victoria and Butchart Gardens, and hiking out near Port Renfrew. We stayed at Birds of a Feather for the first week of our two-week honeymoon and after the first week was over we felt that if we had to go home after that first week, we would have still had an absolutely amazing and unforgettable honeymoon.

We would unconditionally recommend Birds of a Feather to anyone visiting Vancouver Island. We hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank zzzzzzzz80