“Perfectly close, but not too close”

Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental
Ranked #7 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The drive to Birds of a Feather was so easy for a first-time Victoria traveler. Very easy to find, mostly highway driving, and only 30 minutes from downtown Victoria. The view is spectacular and sunrise was gorgeous! Don't forget to take a peek through the telescope that is provided in the room! The heated floors were luxurious, and sitting in front of the fireplace was exactly how I decompressed upon arrival! The room was exactly what we needed for our one-night stay. I want to go back when we have more time to use the canoes and bicycles! Breakfast was amazing! It was fun chatting with the owner and other guests over delicious food. I am absolutely going back to Birds of a Feather the next time I'm in Victoria! This B&B was recommended by my brother and I am so glad!!!

Two things for the owner: the ladder up to the loft in the Lux Suite was a little rickety. Please check to make sure it is safe for guests. I'm not a professional, and am not sure if the way it was affixed to the wall is the way it's supposed to be! Also, the bed in the loft moves very easily and is rather noisy. Maybe put the legs on sticky pads so that it doesn't shake as badly when the user moves around.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!! I enjoyed every moment of our stay!!!!!
Thank you!!!

Room Tip: The Luxury Suite is perfect for a couple, or two girlfriends who don't mind sharing a bed. It do...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Birds_of_a_FeatherBC, Owner at Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you for you tips to the owner - very much appreciated as this helps us make the experience even better. Railing for library ladder to loft in luxury suite being remounted as I write this on a new wooden beam. The youngsters who most frequently use this loft like playing with the ladder and after 6 years needed some love. (For those of you not familiar with the property the family room #3 has a larger loft accessed by a circular staircase)

The bed in room #2 loft has been addressed with your recommendation. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay here last night and it was AMAZING! A friend of mine was going up for an overnight trip and I was a last minute replacement for her original plus one. I also brought my 3 month old and felt very welcomed at breakfast. We stayed in the Luxury room. I believe normally we would have placed in the family suite but like I said my daughter and I were last minute...which I did not mind at all!

The room was EXTREMELY clean and comfortable. I am very picky about where I stay and I would totally stay here again! The bed was perfect! I slept great! Breakfast was huge..you will not leave hungry. This was no continental breakfast...it was eggs, breakfast potatoes, bacon, fresh sour dough bread, bananas, yogurt, cheese, and last but not least danishes. YUM! And yes I ate every bite. Dieter also offender cereal if we were still hungry as well as coffee, tea, and orange juice.

I look forward to staying there again and hopefully I will have time to use the kayaks on the lagoon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

It was a pleasure to meet you and have you stay with us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with our readers. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at this B&B numerous times between September and December 2012. I appreciate the warm hospitality with which Dieter accommodated me on all of my stays. I was able to experience all of their rooms, with rooms 1, 2 and 3 being the very best ones. I was very well looked after and enjoyed many wonderful breakfasts, and enjoyed the quiet tranquil views from the wonderful rooms, the private deck, and the property. I highly recommend this 1st class, purpose built B&B for getaways any time of the year.

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 2 or 3 are their very best rooms, with room 1 being the top one.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Bird of a Feather. Stunning views of the ocean and the downtown area of Victoria. Food was second to none, lots of care went into the preparation. The rooms were very accommodating with all the amenities of a hotel but peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I reserved an inside room for my residency at RRU in October. My room was cold (furnace conked out and stayed out for most of my 3-week stay) and rather noisy. The upstairs rooms may be 'virtually soundproof' but there's plenty of noise if you're in room 4 or 5 - people moving around in the rooms upstairs and on the stairs, and from the living room TV. I moved down the hallway to a quieter room (room 5), but lost a lot of natural light as a result; also no TV, but it's the same price as room 4. Despite what it says on the website, the property is not non-smoking. This does occur in the house regularly. As for the promised sun room where you can do your homework, this is actually the owner's office and he and his assistant are well spread out in the area, so you work in your room or the library at RRU. It's true that it is within walking distance of RRU but if you work past sundown, this is 10-15 minutes through a pitch black forest. I ended up renting a car as I wasn't comfortable doing this on my own.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet stay, choose an upstairs room. They are pricier, so may not be possible if you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Birds_of_a_FeatherBC, Owner at Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Rooms 4 & 5 are rooms downstairs in our own house completely separated from the B&B upstairs. They are offered to Royal Roads University and Q College short-stay students for weekly rentals as an alternative and more affordable option when we are fully booked upstairs. It was unfortunate it took 2 1/2 weeks to obtain a replacement circuit board for the furnace. Thankfully the B&B upstairs is on a separate hot water in-floor heating system and was not affected. We will make the spare desk in the sunroom / office more user-friendly and welcoming. The B&B is 100% smoke-free and in light of your comments the smoker downstairs is no longer with us. To apologize to you for the short-comings of your stay we would like to offer you either a free one week vacation rental in any of our luxury suites upstairs between November 2013 and and March 2014 if you come back for another semester at RRU, or a free 2-night, 2-person stay in one of our B&B suites at any time in 2013..

Reviewed November 24, 2012

2nd trip to Victoria and first trip to Birds Of A Feather.. Awesome property and exceeds the amenities represented in the web site of the Feather! I am grateful for the time spent with another guest and Dieter, owner of this delightful and 1st class B&B. I have, and will continue, to recommend Birds Of A Feather to all looking for the best!!! Thanks Dieter and staff.......

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a gem. Situated by a beautiful lagoon, 10 mins from endless beach walks, you can kayak, bike the Galloping Goose trail, wander through the gardens of Royal Roads, see kingfisher, osprey ,eagle, otter and thousands of migrant birds. Great rooms comfortable and private. Chater one of Deiters whale watching trips-spectacular.
Definitely return

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Victoria
Fairfield
Inn at Laurel Point
#11 of 49 in Victoria
The Fairmont Empress
#21 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental

Address: 206 Portsmouth Dr, Victoria, British Columbia V9C 1R9, Canada
Beach Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Spa Suites
Ranked #7 of 92 B&Bs / Inns in Victoria
Price Range: $138 - $275 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental 3.5*
Nature lover's nirvana on protected ocean front lagoon located on Victoria's west shore neighboring Fisgard Lighthouse and Hatley Park Historic site. Moderate year-round temperatures with a micro-climate that gives it the warmest winter temperatures anywhere in Canada! Hatley grounds include a castle, Japanese, Italian, and Rose gardens. Private dock, courtesy canoe, kayaks, peddle boat, and bicycles. Affordable luxury suites with cathedral ceilings, oceanfront terraces, kitchenettes, soaker tubs, gas fireplaces, widescreen TV. Completely rebuilt in 2006. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Birds of a Feather Ocean Lagoon Bed & Breakfast & Vacation Rental reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.