“A Good Choice for us.”

Ranked #15 of 93 Victoria B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“A Good Choice for us.”
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My wife and I have stayed at this Inn on two different occasions each for two nights over the last three years. It has been consistently well maintained and very clean and tidy.

It has a very good location on the corner of Government and Michigan. I believe it is about two blocks south of the harbor or the Empress Hotel and even less distance to the Royal BC Museum. I noticed some solid upgrades during that period too, like the new tile floors in the bathrooms and the expanded guest area downstairs.

Jay the Innkeeper is chatty and very personable and I feel certain that he treated everyone well during our stays. Help staff is just as sporadic in Victoria I am sure as anywhere else in North America, but every single employee I had dealings with were courteous, attentive and upbeat so I find some other reviews to the contrary disconcerting. (This is the stuff I look for, and I saw the staff go above and beyond on at least two occasions.)

The Inn is owned by Avia West, and I had several really nice conversations with their representatives as well, Specifically Lori and Linda.

The Inn location is on a tree shaded street where one can frequently hear the clip clop of hooves as vacationers tour the area by horse drawn carriage. If you want a romantic destination in Victoria for a reasonable price look no further.

Breakfasts are located in a sun room on linen with fine china but were more perfunctory this time around than I had remembered. Really they were just par.

To mar an otherwise stellar vacation our vehicle was broken into on the last night of our stay while parked in the the Rosewood Inn parking lot, and I understand now that it is not an uncommon occurrence. Not sure what can be done about this but it will be the last time for us in downtown Victoria - I certainly don't blame the Inn though.

• Liked — Cleanliness, staff andlocation.
  • Disliked — Area of vandalized cars at night - including ours.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bfrazier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2007

Location Location! Ideal for scenic walks around town and the inner harbour. Rooms are spacious, beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean and including the bathroom . Only one minor matter with the room - too hot and stuffy. A ceiling fan would've been ideal. The breakfasts were wonderful and beautifully presented, just as the whole place was - very lovely and would definitely go back.

• Liked — Big room and close to inner harbour
  • Disliked — room got hot at times needs a ceiling fan/air conditioner
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank markarmel
Seattle
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed 2 nights at the Rosewood and found it quite charming. The location is about 3 blks from the inner harbour and very walkable to the heart of Victoria. Upon arrival, our room was not quite ready (we
were early) but they offered to keep our luggage until check in affording us the opportunity to go be tourists. We had booked a room with a queen/king bed. But when they took us to our room their were 2 twin beds. We said this was not what we had booked. Without hesitation they up graded our room without any additional charge. The
entire Inn was spotless and very cozy. If there are any negatives, it's only that the breakfast offered in the morning was not very interesting or tasty. A very minor negative in the scheme of things. The staff and manager were very friendly and helpful. We would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Very cozy, clean and friendly
  • Disliked — All stair. There were no elevators. Breakfast was ony so-so.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MishSeattle
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed June 20, 2007

A lovely B & B type establishment. Owned by a chain so the owners are not on site which is too bad. Our veranda room was well appointed for the most part. Large bathroom. Several windows were painted shut making it more difficult to allow iin fresh air.

The real problems began and ended at the front desk. On arrival at noon we were told check in was at 4. We were allowed to put our luggage in a closet and then we had to wander the city for four hours until we could go to our room. When we arrived back at Rosewood the desk clerk went down a litany of costs we would be charged if. . ."we smoked in the room. . .if we had a pet in the room . ." each cost being in the hundreds of dollars. It sounded like we were being scolded. It was just rude to even mention it at all I thought. Then we were had to haul our luggage up 3 flights of stairs to our room. It would have been lovely had it been waiting for us in our room, but alas!

We had to sign up for a breakfast time and then had to sit with another couple which turned out fine but still the option of sitting alone was not available. One of our tablemates found a half a pecan shell in her muffin and when she good naturedly showed it to the wait staff, they didn't even respond. They just collected the plate and went on about their business.

On check out which was another problem (11 am?) we went to the front desk on our way out to drop off our keys. The manager was too busy on the phone talking to someone about his RV to say goodbye or even nod to us. We left without any acknowledgement that we were even there.

With new management that understands the nature of the business they are running, I might consider going back. Unfortunately, I'll never know.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank mguelker
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 1, 2006

I guess it depends what one is looking for in accom.
My wife & I spent 3 nights & quite enjoyed the stay.
While we may not find perfection, (our perfection may different than yours), what we look for is to come away with an overall favourable impression - and we did.
Although we didn't have the Afternoon Tea (as we were "out & about")we enjoyed the breakfasts & in fact my wife requested the recipe for some muffins & it was subsequently e-mailed to us.It was not a logging camp breakfast, but then we didn't expect that & nor would it have been appropriate. If the hours (2 sittings) aren't to your liking then take advantage of the ability to take breakfast in one's room.
I like sharing a table with other guests, 30-45 minutes at breakfast. My life is that much richer when I consider the fine & interesting people I've met over the years. - I wonder if the person who didn't care for this aspect ASKED to sit alone with their partner? Planning etc. they wanted to do, could possibly have been done after breakfast in the small & comfortable sitting room.
I think the person giving the negative review comes from England - which might explain the horror of horrors of having a member of the housekeeping staff clearing tables rather than a scullery maid from the kitchen !!!
Had to get this off my chest.
Cheers,
We enjoyed our stay (as did most of the other responders).
I.L.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 12, 2004

I had a boyfriend who took me here for Valentine's Day in 2003, and I stayed in the "Forget me not" room. It was wonderful. He had the inn put two roses on my bed, and there was a cheese and cracker basket waiting for me. The inn was close to the attactions, and it was truly a very memorable Valentine's Day.

3 Thank IrishSapphireGirl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 30, 2004

We were travelling to Vancouver, Victoria, Tofino and Saltspring Island to look for travel and all our accommodation was researched thoroughly beforehand by me, looking for some fab places to stay during our trip. In Vancouver we stayed at the Listel and then to the Granville Island Hotel. Then over to Victoria where we stayed at the Rosewood, up to Tofino staying at Longbeach Island Resort, down to Saltspring Island staying at Hastings House, then final 2 nights in the Aerie Resort in Malahat region. In each place we booked the best rooms we could, penthouse or equivalent.

The thought of staying at The Empress in Victoria left me cold - too big and impersonal and many of the rooms are very boxy so I choose the Rosewood based on their website and reviews in different publications/online for something smaller and more special. I initially called the B&B to reserve a room and was told I had to call another number - their reservation company. Please be aware that the B&B is NOT owned and run by the owners but by a company that owns several other establishments. After trying three separate times and being promised a call back further to emails I finally was able to reserve the Florintine Room (second highest rate tiering I believe) which looked nice.

Initial impression - it is in a convenient location and only a quick 5 minute walk to the harbour so that is good. We arrived at front desk and we knew we were about an hour early and the woman showed us a cupboard to put our two suitcases and then disappeared. . .

So we had a walk around and came back to check in. Very quiet and our bags hadn't been taken up - okay, not a big deal but I'm highlighting what could have been improved.

The room was Florentine. This was not very impressive which may sound harsh but again, it's lack of attention to detail which I believe is partly because it's company run. Ground floor with a back door out onto a concrete porch to the side door. For the price charged - about CAD300 a night, I'd expect a bigger room. The lighting was very poor with no ceiling lights except two in the hall and two bedside lights which provided poor light. There were many carpet stains and the space provided for clothing was one freestanding wood cabinet which was filled with bed linen, ironing board/iron. It was not enough space to unpack clothing for two comfortably. There was no desk for writing, planning our travels, etc. There was a small freestanding fridge in the open with a tea machine on top of it - pretty unattractive. The bathroom was cute but the single cabinet was not good for storing toiletries - no counterspace. The gas fireplace did not start, nor were there instructions in the usual hotel pack on how to do this. A girl came by to help out but couldn't fiture it out - she was very nice and it was the best looking thing in the room! Fire was sorted out for our final nights stay.

There were holes in the wall above the drapes. It looks like they moved the drapes up and left the holes from where the curtain fixed on before. Also there were some bare wires in one corner of the room visible.

Breakfast
Two different sittings to breakfast and chances are you will be sitting with someone else. I personally prefer to sit for breakfast on my own time within specified hours and alone with my partner to discuss the day. The breakfast is tea/coffee/juice served and then a 3 course prepared breakfast which on both mornings I didn't have at least one and sometimes two of the courses. Not to my liking at all but I'm sure some people would find it lovely. One of the mornings the person clearing the dishes was the housekeeper, not the kitchen staff.

I don't want to sound all negative. The staff were friendly overall and helpful but it didn't have the flavour of a B&B that you might get if the owners were running the place.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member