“Bring your own lightbulbs!”

Rosewood Victoria Inn
Ranked #17 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We had a room with beautiful wallpaper, and shiny hardwood floors and a fireplace, but it was so dark in there we could not read. We requested exra light, and they brought us a small lamp, but it also had a very dim bulb and no table to sit it on. They did a great job on breakfast service, but the room cleaning could be improved upon. They wash out the drinking glasses in the room and dry with a towel, rather then running them through the dishwasher [and some days they did not even wash them]. Several days we did not receive a clean towel. Our sink did not drain well and it was not fixed after we requested they fix it.

The Inn is nice, and the room we had looked like the ones on the web site. The bathroom is quite large, though there is no exhaust fan and the window does not open. As others have stated, the closet will hold little more then your coat. I think this could be a really nice B&B, but they need to pay more attention to details.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sophie_Linn

Reviewed October 3, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed a recent one-week stay at the Rosewood Inn. This is a very lovely property located near the heart of Victoria. The staff was so friendly and very accommodating in every way. We enjoyed the delicious breakfast each morning. Victoria is a beautiful city and most areas are accessible by walking from the Rosewood Inn. We are looking forward to an opportunity to return to Victoria and stay again at the Rosewood Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulinLandofLincoln
Reviewed July 12, 2010

This is a bed and breakfast. Delighful tea times and breakfast all included with our daily housekeeping fee. Although the first tea time they did not use real tea pots. Housekeeping could have been a bit better but the staff were very friendly and approachable. Wonderful meeting new friends over tea and breakfast. Shared balcony was kind of fun. Rooms were hot on the hottest day of the year with no air conditioning but were fortunate to get a room that was shaded most of the day and with open windows was on 28 degrees inside.

Bed was very comfortable and a king size. If you travel with more than two book 2 adjoining suites.

Loved the ambiance

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank sengi
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We have stayed at this quaint Inn three times now. That fact that we keep coming back is something positive. Location - it is only three blocks behing Victoria's Parliment building and the Inner Harbour. The common area inside and the rooms are highly decorated in Victorian style - nice. I booked this with my RCI points. You must pay $13 per person per day which is supposed to include a gourmet cooked breakfast and the opportunity for afternoon tea - which has always been very nice. This time two days before we arrived the referigerator went out, they didnt catch it, the food spoiled and 9 persons got sick on the food - yikes! The manager was on vacation and it seems whomever was left in charge failed. Instead of a nicel cooked breakfast we got muffins and crousants and the afternoon teas were cancelled - very disappointing. I believe once the health dept lets them they wil be back in normal mode - hopefully. Also, our room's floor was absolutely filthy. I walked across the floor in my white socks and they became immediately black on the bottom. I had to take a moist towel and clean the floor. The manager returned from her vacation and I showed her the blackened towel - she was also disgusted. It seems while the boss was gone things went to... heck. I think I may give them one more chance in the future though. Also note - no air conditioning, pool or sauna - just nice decor. There is only staff around in the mornings and early afternoon for check -in. After that you are on your own.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank therealsherlock
aviawest_management, Manager at Rosewood Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Hello Mr. Holmes,

We really appreciate your comment as it shows that you know the true potential of the Rosewood Victoria Inn and would like to see the past quality of service maintained. As I explained to you, this is by far not the normal situation at the Rosewood and you can attest to this from your previous visits. We really hope you and your family choose to visit us in the future, and look forward to serving you and your family and ensuring that your expectations are not only fulfilled but surpassed.

Reviewed November 22, 2009

I travel quite a bit for a living as did my wife, a former flight attendant. We've both seen lots of hotels and inns in America, Canada, England, Germany, and the Far East. This inn is cozy & charming, but not what we would call roomy or elegant. Most of the staff was nice (some, not so much), and they tried to be accommodating, but the biggest problem we had was that the Management/Owner needs to put more money into the place. Single pane windows let a lot of outside noise in. Several nights, I was woken by the sound of voices on the sidewalk outside (at 3:30am!), even though we were on the 3rd floor. Another night at 5am, a siren was set off right outside the hotel (ambulance or firetruck -- there's a fire station one block away) -- scared me right into the ceiling. It's an old building, so the wood floor squeaks & pops. That's primarily why we moved from the 2nd floor to the top/3rd floor because of the elephant above us. We were promised a microwave, but it turns out that only 1 room in the 15-17 rooms there had a working one. So, microwave popcorn while watching a late night movie was out of the question (kitchen closes at 8pm, the only other room with a working M/W). The flat screen TVs were very small, crappy Insignia TVs (whose sound was pathetic) with a bottom-of-the-barrel Phillips DVD player. Though they had DVDs to borrow & watch free of charge (very thoughtful), the collection was a bit hodge-podge, and did not hold a lot of favorites. It seemed more the throw-offs from the young staffers' private collections. Because we had no M/W, brewing tea in the room was done in the coffee pot, which didn't taste too much like coffee. Lighting in the first room was poor, but they worked to get us a floor lamp, which became irrelevant when we decided to change rooms that first day. Bravo to Megan for trying though! Maid service was not very good, but we got the towels we needed when I went downstairs to ask for them. For RCI members like us, there was an additional charge of $13/day per person for the aforementioned maid service & breakfast, whether you chose to eat there or not. You have to sign up for breakfast the night before, and since we didn't know how long we'd be up watching movies or reading, it seemed too much like working to their schedule rather than our own. We're the ones on vacation afterall. So, we only made it to 2 of the 6 breakfasts (& left a day early). The breakfasts were OK, but not spectacular, fresh but limited in scope & imagination. Certainly not worth giving up sleep over. Ditto on the 3pm tea time; you have to sign up by 11am. That too seemed overly restrictive, in that tea & sandwiches should take at most 30 minutes to prepare.
The biggest shocker was the closet space. For timeshare people who'll typically bring clothes for an entire week, there was simply no space for your clothes. For 1-3 days, sure no problem, but not for a week. That was the biggest joke of all. The first room was large & spacious near the front of the house (with a fireplace) but the closet was squeezed literally into a corner of the room, with 2' x 2' deep triangular sides. With the 2 terricloth robes in there already, we could only hang one more coat there and that was it! Mgmt should spend some money & acquire some armoires or additional furniture to suit this most basic of hotel needs. The rooms are not huge but there is space for these furniture items. The beds also varied: the one in our first room (#20) was hard as a rock, but the one in #33 was just right. Though we liked the location very much (only 3 blocks from the Empress), we will not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheGarcipian
rosewood_mgr, Management at Rosewood Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2009

Dear TheGarcipian,

I am writing in response to your review on this site. I appreciate criticism as it helps us improve. I am the Innkeeper and I manage the Inn, but we are owned by a family who owns properties all over BC.

I agree with you that the Inn is in need of a few upgrades and they are happening all the time – it never ends. I wish you would have voiced your concerns to me during your stay so that I could have rectified the situation where possible.

Of course, I couldn't have made the closets bigger or kept the fire trucks and noisy pedestrians away from here but for example, I could have found you a larger dresser and offered you a kettle for tea.

The Rosewood was built almost 80 years ago and part of its charm is the old architecture, squeaky floors and all and all the antiques we house.

Admittedly, we have not put money into TVs and DVD players, as we find most of our visitors spend little time in their rooms because we are so well situated that every direction holds interest – the ocean, Inner Harbor, Beacon Hill Park, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.

We put sign up sheets out for breakfast for the next day and High Tea every morning first thing. That gives you all day and night – 22 hours – until 6 A.M. to sign up for breakfast. High Tea is a complimentary affair we do.

Because my staff and I (usually only 2-3 of us) do everything from breakfast service and clean up to front desk, concierge, laundry, as well as tidying every room every day on top of those rooms whose guests check out, we have to we cut off sign up for Tea at 11:00 so we may plan the prep into our day. You would be surprised how much prep goes into our High Tea!

Regarding microwaves, we have 8 out of 17 rooms that have them and I would like to see all rooms have one, soon I hope, as I believe they are a necessity now for most travelers. I am shocked to hear a complaint about my staff as they are praised by so many.

My staff remember you and the day you came down requesting towels. If you do recall, we knocked on your door and you were in and said you didn't need anything. I must stand behind my staff as they are all very personable, friendly and hard working and they always have a smile and a “make them happy” attitude with my guests.

So, yes, there are some issues you mentioned that I agree with and I understand your complaints, but I really wish you would have mentioned them to me so we could have make your stay with us more enjoyable.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

Frankly, I was shocked by the previous review. Our situation was similar, i.e. we booked the Rosewood Victoria Inn through RCI, but when I booked online, it was very clear that there was a per person charge of $13/day for breakfast and tea and maid service. When I received my hard copy confirmation of reservation, the information was there also. What happened to the previous reviewer? Did he get the information and not note it? Was the information just not there in his case? I can understand that one would be annoyed and dismayed to find out that an extra $193.00 would be charged to your bill, but really that is not the fault of the Inn. As for the previous reviewer having a problem with the hotel staff, I have no idea how we could arrive one week later and find that everyone, without exception, was polite and helpful and charming.
More about the facility itself--The location, in my opinion, was perfect. It was about 2 blocks behind the Legislature building so an easy walk to the Inner Harbor, but far enough away to be a bit quieter. All of the houses in the neighborhood are quaint and charming. Our room was very spacious and there was a small patio. The breakfasts were hearty and we took afternoon tea once, just to try it out. It really didn't fit into our schedule to get back at 3:00 just to have tea everyday (even though we paid for it.) I will say that this is not a four star resort and the prices charged for the accomodations reflect that. There is no air conditioning, and the food while good, is prepared by a cook, rather than a chef. However, the service and general ambiance, in my opinion, couldn't be beat.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2_gemini
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My wife and I are staying here for a week on an RCI exchange. We have been world travelers for the past 37 years and are away from our home base (traveling) @ 6 months every year...so...we have some basis for making a comparison.

We have stayed in B&B's throughout the civilized world..some barely OK and some, fantastic. Our Rosewood experience certainly qualifies it as a 2/3 on a 10 degree scale. (1) using it as an RCI exchange means that we are each being charged an extra daily fee of $13 for "breakfast" whether we eat/want it or not and we were no given prior notice. (2) the crowning thorn is the cavalier rudeness/unpprofessionalism of the breakfast wait staff and the poor-to non-existing cleaning/servicing of the bedroom.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple