“Gracious breakfasts & accommodations but beware of the lack of locks and privacy”

Joan Brown's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 92 Victoria B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This B&B is in a lovely neighborhood and Joan offers very good breakfasts. What I found unnerving, and I left early because of it, was no lock on my door. I was traveling alone and was quite nervous to come home in the evening and find my room wide open! My private possessions were in the room and Joan was not around to explain what happened. I slept uneasily w/ a chair against the door and left the next day for another B&B. I can't imagine a couple or single woman as myself feeling comfortable in this situation. My room was also about 20 feet from the front door making this even more disconcerting!

Proceed w/ caution if you decide to stay here.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank amandamaeSeattle

Reviewed June 29, 2009

We booked with Joan on the advice of a friend who stayed there previously. The house is gorgeous and historic. Joan has good taste and her decorating proves it. The beds are comfortable; the carpets thick and lush. Our son loved the comfort of the chaise lounge in our room and wanted to take it home. The house is bright and cheery during the day. The house is oh, so quiet in the evening, so we slept well. Joan made us a fabulous breakfast both mornings, which included farm-fresh strawberries. We like meeting the owners of B&Bs and we really enjoyed chatting with Joan. Joan is very warm and like a favorite aunt. We will definitely return on our next outing to Victoria. It is walkable from the Inner Harbour ferry terminal in case you don't have a car. Joan is new to computers, so it works better to call. Just be aware that she doesn't have voice mail.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Cake_of_Liberty
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We found this B&B gem quite by accident and Wow! are we glad that we did. Joan, with her quirky sense of humour, made us feel very welcome as soon as we set foot in her wonderful home. The rooms are beautifully decorated. Her breakfasts are a feast not only for the eye but also the taste buds. Every detail is looked after. Joan even coordinates her china with the seasons! The breakfasts were so generous and delicious that we didn't need to eat again until evening. We enjoyed our time so much at The Priory that we changed our plans to go up island and decided to stay the rest of the week with Joan and take day trips from Victoria. Because she does not have a computer, one needs to phone her directly.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank mogOntario
Austin, TX
Reviewed December 1, 2005

We were in Victoria to see the Christmas lighting at Parliament and chose Joan's on the advice of a friend. We were treated like royalty. The house is historic, decorated impeccably and the hostess was divine. We were treated like family and was served a four star breakfast. Ask for the "Blue Room". We were truly saddened to leave. This is a jewel in Victoria for the discriminating traveler that does not wish to be accommodated in a run of the B&B. We are planning a return trip soon.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta GA
Reviewed July 11, 2004

Be careful with currency conversions. We booked this beautiful b and b for a wedding party and rehearsal dinner and were quoted prices over the phone. Calling a Canadian buisness, I assumed the currency was Canadian and was not told otherwise. I was informed that I would be charged American cash because of my 'voice on the phone' only upon time of payment. The Canadians in our party were given the significantly lower Canadian price. If you are looking for a relaxing b and b with not much intrusion, this might not be the place for you. We were reprimanded for not eating all of our food, or for defluffing the pillows, etc.. I might be switching back to hotels.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 24, 2003

We keep going back to this fabulous B&B. Superb rooms, hospitality and food!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member