“Nice Boutique”

Bedford Regency Hotel
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed May 12, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for Bedford Regency Hotel

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Got the expedia special, booked for a couple of days. Excellent services via email, from Benjamin - who set me up with exactly the room I wanted (something high up, and in the back - which turned out to be #49).
I was surprised to see the working fireplace... if I hadn't been busy and exhausted, I would have played with it. I did however make use of the Jacuzzi tub, which functioned perfectly. Two huge windows overlooking the harbour. No crowd noise round the back at night, plenty of seagulls crying from time to time (as to be expected, this close to the harbour). Great soundproofing, no noise was detectable from any neighbours. Room was very clean and very comfortable, and the wireless internet was fast and stable. Came with all the promised amenities, though an extension cord for the coffee maker would have been a nice addition. Free Globe and Mail on the doorstep in the morning. No breakfast, but several excellent restaurants are close by. I didn't try the pub, as I got in very late and the kitchen closes at ten pm. The secure underground parking garage is only a two minute walk, and at 11 bucks a day, it's a good deal for downtown Victoria parking.

Room Tip: Email the front desk a day or two in advance, and tell them your needs...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had a two night "voucher" to stay here. When I checked in I was assigned a room on the first floor. The room was tiny and had a toilet, sink and shower stall tucked in one corner. The window looked through a wooden lattice work onto a mini courtyard. Not ideal if you are claustrophobic! I went back to the desk and for a reasonable up-charge got a room on the third floor with a view of the bay. There was a Jacuzzi tub and a wood burning fireplace with a modest supply of firewood. Perfect for a romantic getaway! The place is clean and relatively quiet. Right in the middle of downtown Victoria, so everything is within walking distance. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel is centrally located downtown and offers good value for money. Got a deal of $51 per night through Expedia and I was happy with my stay. The hotel definitely has a lot of character, although is quite dated. The bed was firm but comfortable enough, however the shower was horrible- could not get the right temperature and it had very poor water pressure. Parking is a short walk away in a secure facility for a cost of $11 per night. There is a '10 mins max' drop off zone in front of the hotel- although there is only just enough room for 2 cars so I imagine it would be very difficult unloading luggage etc if it is full- would be better if this hotel had their own parking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJF90
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed for two nights at the Bedford Regency in March 2013. I still recommend this hotel because of its awesome location in Victoria, but the bloom is off the rose. This was my third stay at Bedford.

Pros:

Service is attentive and helpful (not overly solicitous, which is great for me). For example, the last two times that I have stayed, I have requested a room overlooking Government Street, and each time I have gotten that kind of room without even having to ask at check-in.

The hotel in general and room are quite clean. This time around, I would say the room was not as scrupulously clean as I have seen in the past, but still quite clean. The room is well laid out and has thoughtful touches like fridge, slippers, coffee maker. I love that the windows open a little bit so you can sit on the window seat and enjoy the scene. The bed is comfy.

The location of the hotel is wonderful. A five-minute walk from the ferry terminal, right on Government Street. You couldn't be closer to shopping and nightlife. That said, if you are a light sleeper, you may want to ask for a room not right on Government Street on the weekend because it can be a touch loud.

We had a great time in the Ledge Lounge and Garrick's Head Pub. Thanks to the friendly bartender with the NYPD T-shirt who held the door open for us. :) (From the Seattle girls!)

Con:

Bedford Regency, it. is. time. for. a. remodel. It is clear that some things have been updated. The dinky tube TV has been replaced with a flat screen, the furniture has been re-upholstered, and the toilet is brand new. Somehow, these updates make the rest of the room seem dingier in comparison. These rooms are well-loved. The beds are dated, the desk is chipped, and the tile in the bathroom has seen better days. Even the sad, laminated hotel info and menus could be updated and bring some fresh charm to the room. Since the Bedford is calling itself a boutique hotel, it is time to invest in a comprehensive update to add some freshness.. I consider this hotel very, very well maintained, but time has taken its toll. And I would pay quite a bit more per night for an updated version of this wonderful hotel. This is the first time in three stays that I can honestly say I will shop around and likely stay elsewhere before staying at the Bedford.

Overall, if budget and a fun location are at the top of your list, and you don't mind a hotel that is becoming a bit down at heel, I highly recommend the Bedford. If you are looking for super modern and crisp, I recommend you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on Government Street are fun, but if sleep-in time is important to you, a room on the back sid...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TravelingPenguin
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pulled up at the hotel expecting something that would "just do" but was really happy to get a huge room, with a flat screen TV, big tiled shower with two shower heads in it. The layout of the room was kooky (we had two sinks for some reason, on opposite sides of the room) but I found it charming. It wasn't new, or luxurious, but clean and comfortable. The location is fabulous, and although parking is 2 blocks away, it wasn't that much of a pain. Staff were nice too, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank escapade_artist
Reviewed December 20, 2012

an extremely good price through an Expedia sale put us right in the thick of downtown shopping in Victoria just before Christmas. It was a great location with everywhere we wanted to go within walking distance. Parking was not at the hotel, but neither was it far away and it did have security.
Also, unloading in front of the hotel and checking in was easy. Although it was in a busy area, our room at the back faced the harbour and a quiet street. Noise was not a problem. Other reviews mentioned tiny rooms but ours was quite spacious with a lounge area by the TV and an actual working fireplace with wood provided. This could possibly be both a plus or detriment to people as the first night we entered our room to quite a bit of smoke until we realized it was coming down the chimney without the damper closed. Closing the damper worked but we had to air the room for a while. This COULD be a problem to those sensitive to smoke. Myself, I had a good sleep, feeling like I'd nodded off in a cabin. There was a jacuzzi tub in the ensuite and the thing i mentioned to the front desk was that in all my travels in recent years i hadn't stayed in such a spotless room, I even combed my finger over a ledge expecting dust - I mean this is a room with a fireplace. None found. I think the room may have been recently reno'd which might be partly responsible for its cleanliness. Anyway, that was a real treat at Christmastime in the city and was much appreciated. Oh, and one other thing: within a stone's throw is a myriad of dining choices including Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, the keg, and the famed rebar for vegetarian choices....and a billion coffee stops. I grabbed some reading material (munro's books steps away) and a coffee (murchie's too) and returned to my room for a relaxing pause in the day's shopping. Nice.

Room Tip: Ours at the back was roomy and quiet....I don't know if all rooms have fireplaces, but if you ha...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple