“Ideal for a solo-traveler”
Review of Victoria Kayak

Victoria Kayak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Regardless if this is your first kayaking adventure or if you are perpetually wet behind the ears, our kayak tours and rentals are a great way to see Victoria and the local marine wildlife from a unique vantage point. Located in the heart of historic Victoria Harbour, Victoria Kayak is just steps away from the Empress Hotel, Royal BC Museum and the BC Legislature in downtown Victoria. There’s no better way to kick off a stay in Victoria than with a kayak adventure!
Reviewed June 14, 2018

Other kayak companies required at least 2 people for a harbour tour, which is difficult as solo traveler on a pretty cold day. At Victoria Kayak, I was the only one, and we still went out and discovered the harbour. Thank you for this experience.

VictoriaKayakTours, Owner at Victoria Kayak, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2018

You are welcome, Naomi! We get a lot of solo travelers and we welcome the opportunity to show them the sights. We love an excuse to get on the water even if it is with one paddler at a time. Our guides cherish the intimacy of one on one tours.

All reviews
"gorge tour"
"local history"
"few hours"

Reviewed May 28, 2018

My wife, Jan and daughter Jasper and I did a kayak tour. It was very, very positive. First off- the weather was terrific, so thanks for arranging that. Our host Emma was over the top friendly and knowledgeable and that gave us great comfort from the start. As newbies that have never set foot into a kayak we wanted a sheltered, pleasant couple hours. It was perfect. The length, the location - ideal. The equipment was clean, comfortable and modern and that also gave us confidence. In short it was what we hoped for and then some. We weren’t sold anything extra (enjoyed the water, snacks!), we were treated with respect. Emma was professional and friendly. A great ambassador. Thanks very much. As we live in Vic we will certainly keep our experience in mind for visitors and will be quick to recommend it.

VictoriaKayakTours, Owner at Victoria Kayak, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review.

Oh, the weather? Yeah, we planned that.

We hire our guides for their personalities (and kayaking ability) and we got extra with Emma. We have been trying to figure out how to bottle it for years - luckily it’s contagious.

We love first time kayakers. It is so exciting for us to help people discover a new sport. Our tour routes are unique as they can be tailored to beginners and offer adventure to seasoned paddlers as well.

So glad you are locals. We find kayaking is a great way to get away from/with your guests when they come to visit. Also, if you want to kayak more but don’t want to buy a kayak and store it, we have Persistant Paddler Passes for rentals. You purchase 10 hours of paddling for the price of 8.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

I had a Sunday off in Victoria and decided to spend it learning to Kayak in Victoria Harbour. My guide Jenn was an excellent teacher and did a wonderful job of setting up the Kayak for me and then showing me the basics. We had a very enjoyable trip around Victoria Harbour and Jenn was very patient with myself and the other novice Kayaker in our group. I will definitely try to do this again on my next trip to Victoria.

VictoriaKayakTours, Owner at Victoria Kayak, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2018

Thank you for the wonderful review, John. We love helping people start their kayaking adventures. Taking a guided tour is the perfect way to see the sights, learn something interesting about the local area and get a paddling lesson at the same time. Plus, you get to hang out with our great guides like Jenn!. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town. Maybe Jenn will have perfected reciting the alphabet backwards by then.

Reviewed March 12, 2018

I would highly recommend Victoria Kayaks in Victoria, BC.

My builder business group was in Victoria & we reserved kayaks prior to the meeting so all was set when we got there. Kip was at the dock early Saturday morning & had things ready to go prior to our arrival. Everything went like clockwork - all of the boats, paddles, spray skirts, pogies, spray tops, etc were in great shape & clean when we got there. The paddle up to the Tillicum bridge was very nice & the wind & tides were behind us on the way back which made that portion even better.

VictoriaKayakTours, Owner at Victoria Kayak, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2018

Thanks for the detailed review, Jay. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your group and that you all enjoyed yourselves.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 2, 2017

I had a marvelous paddle with my guide out to seal rocks. I really couldn't ask any more of the guide or the staff who handled my booking. We saw plenty of bird life and seals, and the cute little harbour ferries chugging past. It is well located right on the edge of downtown, near the ferry and bus routes. I'm not sure if I would recommend for a complete new paddler, unless you are sharing a double with someone who has paddled before, but if you've ever paddled a canoe or kayak before then this is a great way to get a different perspective of Victoria.

I am happy to hear that you had such a fabulous time on our Seal Island tour. We would totally recommend the tour to a first time paddler, whether they choose a single or double kayak. Our guides are fantastic teachers and usually have everyone paddling in short order. Even though they tell great stories and point out interesting sites, safety and the comfort of all their clients are our guides foremost concerns.