“Wouldn't Stay Here Again”

Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Wouldn't Stay Here Again”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This place was a bit of a fail. I think we had some bad luck, but in the end, that's all that it takes to turn you off of a place.

Check-in
We reserved a room with a kitchenette. When we checked-in, we were told they didn't have this room available. It wasn't a big deal to us, because we didn't HAVE to have the kitchenette, and we didn't pay extra for it. The check in lady was nice and offered us free parking because of the room issue.

Parking
Yeah, we got free parking because of our room mix up (normally $9), but the parking situation here is pretty bad. The secured, underground was full when we checked in (mid-week, mid-day...hmmm...), so something tells me that it's a small lot. The check in lady gave me a pass for the lot across the street. There are no in-out privileges at that lot, since it's a pay lot for the City of Victoria, so you need extra passes if you plan to come and go. The lot is not clearly marked, so I didn't even know if it was the right lot. I had to exit the lot and confirm with the attendant and then go back in again. Also, this lot is not secured, so I couldn't leave anything in my car. The 'drop off' area was busy and it felt rushed to get all of our stuff out of the car so then I could go park it.

The room
It wasn't a dump, but it wasn't that great. It was clean, and I'd say slightly better than motel quality. We were facing a busy street, so we got the street noise all night. Not very good soundproofing. The beds were comfy though, and the TV and amenities were good. There is only one elevator and it's old and small. We had the pleasure of being woken up at 2am by a roudy group of neighbours that were drunk and partying in the hall. Not sure if it's the pub in the lobby that promotes this, or if this is the type of clientele that the hotel draws, but I was pretty mad about it.

The pool
There are very few hotels with pools in Victoria, so this is a plus to people with kids. The pool is TINY and in the basement of the hotel, with open windows that face the street (so the bums on the street can look in and watch everyone swimming). NOT what I consider secure. I didn't like this.

The attached restaurant
There was a private function that evening, so we couldn't eat at the hotel for dinner. The next morning when we went to eat breakfast there, we were greeted by an older lady that was totally flustered and stressed out. She stated that she was too busy and we should 'go away' and come back in 30 mins. There were three tables being served. REALLY?! We went to the check-in desk and asked for a breakfast restaurant recommendation. Of course, the guy working recommended the restaurant attached to the hotel. Then I go, "Well, the lady there told us to 'go away' because they were too busy, so maybe you'd like to recommend another place?". The employee looked shocked and turned to another employee and said, "who's working now?" and the girl murmured a lady's name, and the guy goes, "Well, I am terribly sorry! We'll certainly speak to the manager of the restaurant." and then he recommended Cora down the street where we got GOOD service and didn't get told to GO AWAY. That's a first for me, man...

We asked for a late check-out, and were told they could do 12pm (one hour later than regular check out). When we were packing up, shortly after 11am the maids come sniffing around asking if we're staying another night. I go, "No, we got a late check out at 12pm. BUT, I guess the front desk doesn't bother to tell you guys, right?". Of course they don't! Why would they!? That would mean that they actually have good communication and good service.

I must say that the staff of the hotel (NOT the restaurant) were very nice and very helpful always though, despite the communication issues, so that is one saving grace to this hotel.

Location, in my opinion, is the biggest reason to stay here. And the fact that it's cheap. But really - that's it. There are better choices downtown.

Room Tip: Something not facing the busy street
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pokee
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Pokee,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review here on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear your stay with us did not meet your expectations.

We strive to ensure that all our guests are provided with clean, comfortable accommodations and welcomed by warm, friendly staff. I’m very sorry to hear that you felt we failed on this occasion.

Things do go wrong from time to time in this industry, and when they do I make it a priority to turn the situation around for our guests. I do remember speaking with you. I was the gentleman at the front desk when you reported the poor service you received from the restaurant and I advised you to try Cora. I only wish you had mentioned some of the other issues that you had faced during your stay so that I may have had the opportunity to explain and possibly correct them.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the restaurant is a separate business to the hotel, although we do work very closely with them given our proximity. When things go awry in the restaurant it of course reflects poorly on the hotel and can definitely negatively contribute to your overall impression of our establishment, I can only agree that what occurred in the restaurant was unacceptable. I have spoken to the General Manager of the Argyle Attic and he has assured me that retraining will take place with the appropriate individual to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Regarding your issues with parking, I’m sorry you felt rushed in our loading zones when checking in. The hotel was full during your stay, and with the ferry schedules guests do tend to arrive in concentrated bunches; but we do feature two loading areas with space for 3 cars on Blanshard St, directly in front of the lobby; as well as our breezeway which can accommodate another 2-3 vehicles in a pinch that can be used for guests checking in who are parking across the street in the overflow lot. The hotel does feature a small parking lot with only 27 stalls directly underneath it. The spaces downstairs are simply allocated as guest’s arrive on the day of check in until all the spaces are filled. Due to the restricted size of the lot we have made an arrangement with the City of Victoria to use their library parking which is right across the street from the hotel as an overflow lot when ours is full. This lot has hundreds of parking stalls and is monitored by security guards 24 hours a day. The City of Victoria allows us to charge our guests $9 for parking that is paid directly to the hotel and the City bills the hotel for the remainder of the guest’s balance. You do have in and out privileges you just need extra parking passes from the front desk, which they are more than happy to provide upon request. This arrangement with the City allows us to provide all of our guests with secure parking at a very reasonable rate for downtown Victoria.

I’m sorry to hear you experienced noise issues during your stay. One drawback to having an outstanding downtown location is that one is subject to normal city sounds one would experience in downtown core; such as traffic. I’m afraid these noises are unavoidable due to our great location, but we definitely do have control over internal noise issues. I hope you took advantage of our 24 hour front desk service and reported the issue. Our staff are trained to adhere to The Innkeeper’s Act regarding noise disturbances. Guests who cause a disturbance are given one warning, and then are asked to leave if the issues continue. We can only action this however, if we are made aware of the situation.

I would like to take a moment to thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel staff. We are very lucky to have the team that we do. They are a great bunch of people and are incredibly hardworking.

Once again I am sorry you were unsatisfied with your stay us, I do hope you will consider The Quality Inn on a future trip to Victoria. If you stay with us again I think you’ll find that your initial stay truly was the exception to the rule. If you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour Victoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We really enjoyed our weekend in Victoria and would recommend this hotel. The location of the hotel was fantastic- walking distance to the inner harbour and lots of restaurants. The room was large, comfortable and also very clean. Our room had a fridge, microwave and even a small kitchen and also a jacuzzi tub. The front desk staff were amazing and very helpful with any questions we had. The pool looked very clean and inviting and so did the fitness room.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RBHussein
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Front desk staff were incredibly helpful and the room was fantastic. Very clean and comfortable. The pool was also very good and the hotel was well located. Would definately stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Laura J,

Thank you very much for your review and your lovely comments regarding our team and rooms. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and would stay with us again. If you find yourself in Victoria in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights and was very pleased with the friendly staff and the clean rooms. Make sure to check out the Argyle Attic for Breaky and supper great food and awesome discount for staying at the hotel. Will definitely stay here again, Great Value!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Timothy S,

Thank you for your great review! I'm thrilled to hear your enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the comments about our friendly staff - they are a great bunch!

The Argyle Attic is a separate business to the hotel but I'll be sure to pass along your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Joao Pessoa, PB
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Positive points
- Located close to the harbor area (walking distance to the touristy parts of town and pubs/restaurants).
- Well maintained and clean.
- Comfortable bed and large room.
- Fridge, microwave, iron and hair dryer in the room.
- Free wi-fi.
- Great value for money.

Negative points
- Breakfast is not included
- Pay parking

Conclusion: I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the third floor (traditional room).
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amiemoreira,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm happy to read that the positives greatly outweighed the negative aspects and that you would definitely stay again!

It is true that we do not include breakfast in our rates, there is a restaurant on site at the hotel that is open for breakfast and dinner. While the Argyle Attic is a separate business to the hotel they do offer our guests a fantastic 25% discount on food!

Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you again soon!

Sulphur Springs, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here while visiting beautiful Victoria, BC. The hotel was located close to the harbor area. In fact, I walked to the harbor, Parliament, the fisherman's Warf and Imax theater. The hotel isn't new, but appears to be well maintained. The staff was very friendly and suggested several local restaurants. Parking is in their gated garage and does cost $9 per day.

Room Tip: Parking is $9 but they said I could come and go for no additional charge.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Keith L
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Keith L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it's always great to hear from a Senior Contributor!

It sounds like you really enjoyed your time in Victoria. We do have a great location as you mentioned. We find that most of our guests just park their cars and explore the city on foot as you did.

Thank you again for your kind words. If you find yourself in Victoria again we look forward to welcoming you back!

Jamie
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I booked this hotel because of an attractive price and convenient location but will return because of the excellent service and friendly atmosphere. To me it almost had the feel of a boutique hotel - small with staff who knew me immediately (I never had to give my room number at the desk) and the few requests that I had were dealt with pleasantly, efficiently, and expediently.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Eviscent,

Thank you very much for your glowing review. The benefit of being a small property is that we have the opportunity to really get to know our guests. We are very proud of our team here; they are usually the reason that our guests keep coming back and I am so happy to hear that they exceeded your expectations on your recent visit!

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!