“Great Location”

Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a two night stay here that we had purchased on an online discount coupon and had to use it by April 30. Fortunately we booked when the weather was perfect for a visit to Victoria. Our room was clean and reasonably spacious. It overlooked a busy downtown street so was quite noisy at night but that is to be expected in a city. We did not bring a vehicle with us and found that we really didn't need it anyhow. We ate at the adjoining Argyle Restaurant the first evening. It was cosy and comfortable. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. It is close to downtown and most of the tourist attractions and public transportation. I so not think that it has air conditioning so could be very warm in the summer.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the courtyard would likely be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joyce D
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Joyce D

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel here on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for pointing out we are in a great location and your understanding that being right downtown you are going to experience the sounds that come with it. I know for a lot of our guests that don’t live in the middle of a downtown city it can seem loud but as a rule the traffic dissipates at around 8pm and really does not pick up until about 8am.

I have passed your complements to the staff and they do appreciate hearing it, I am very lucky to have such an experienced staff with a combined 150 years working at this hotel including 3 staff members with over 30 years each.

We do have central air that can be controlled by the wall vent in the room and we are making up instructions so guests better understand our climate controls in the rooms. As it is and older property it is not as simple as just setting the temperature but still it is not that complicated. Many of the hotels in Victoria do not have air conditioning as our Island climate really never gets that high though we have been enjoying higher temperatures than we usually do for this time of the year.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in Apr 2013 Used a living social coupon so the rate was reduced. The check in was easy and friendly . As we had an overheight 7 foot viehicle we needed to park across the street at $13.50 per night. The hotel is quite dated but very clean. As mentioned the soundproofing was poor, did hear a few kids ratteling around in hallway, but no big deal.Didn't try restaurant or pub as I generally find it good policy to avoid resraurants adjoining hotels. and there are so many good restaurants and pubs in Victoria .One dissapointment though was that they advertised a gym and a steam room , neither was open during our stay. All in all it was a good value even at the regular off season rate. Great place to sleep if you are not planning to spend the entire time in your Hotel. would possibly stay again.

Room Tip: Perhaps a higher room not facing Blanchard Street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Redrock55,

Thank you for your review here on Trip Advisor it is always great to have Senior Contributor pass on their comments.

I do apologize about the Gym and Steam room we are just in the process of redoing the cedar in the steam room and we were trying to get it done a quieter time of the year but the hotel has enjoyed a very busy shoulder season thanks to its growing popularity and the Living Social promotion so it did catch us off guard. The Gym we had to use as a temporary storage room as we are updating all the lighting in the rooms and the order came in again when we were busier than expected so again my apologizes.

We are constantly updating the rooms and I am sure if you give us the opportunity and stay with us in the future you will enjoy the changes we are making.

As I and many of our guests have mentioned before we have a great location right downtown but it does make our hotel more susceptible to street noise and traffic. If you are not use to street noise which I know a lot of people are not I would recommend calling us direct and see if any of our courtyard facing rooms are available. They do not face Blanshard or Courtney streets.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope you give us the opportunity in the future to stay with us again.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is located in the downtown core near the harbour..no complaints on the location. The hotel itself is an older property with dated carpet and hallways. The rooms are updated but are starting to show sign of wear and tear. The rooms are average. It's spacious and clean. I was assigned to a room that faces the street. The windows are poorly insulated and the street noise travels freely from the outside. In addition, there were people staying above and not sure what they were doing but sounded like taiko japanese drums overhead. When people closed their doors, it Reverberated through the walls. I understand the frustration of the other reviews concerning the noise complaints. The walls are thin. Did not get a pleasant rest at all. I agree with other reviewers regarding spending a little more money for a better hotel.

In addition, there was temp control in the room but it did nothing. Rooms were on the colder side.

I would give this hotel a 2.5 star but my experience was 2 stars. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank jjking

Dear jjking,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction and you found your room noisy. We do take all comments seriously and do our best to address the issues that are bought to our attention. We are in the process of replacing any of our windows that have a broken seal which can contribute to the windows not as sound proofed as they can be. We have replaced 40 so far and will have the last 20 installed in the next few weeks. We know this will help insulate some of the sound that comes from the street.

As I am sure you understand having a great location right downtown does have its drawbacks one of which is we get street noise and for the most part it is not too much of an issue but there are times where it can seem excessive.

As far as the guests that stayed above you I am not sure if you informed the front desk as we have a very good policy of asking guests to keep the noise down if they are disturbing other guests.

There are 2 ways to control the temperature in the room we have electric baseboard heating with a wall mounted controller in all the rooms and central air that the airflow can be controlled with the adjustable wall vent if you could contact me to let me know which room it was I will investigate and get it corrected.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at this property, we travel to Victoria twice a year for quick getaways, dining and relaxing. We have been looking for a reasonable hotel without sacrificing quality and location for some time so we can always come back to. This is what happened when we came this time around-I do have pros and cons

Pros

- excellent location/ close to everything in the inner harbour (walking distance)
- most staff were very friendly and accommodating
-we got an excellent deal staying at the hotel for half the price (great value)
-were given complimentary parking/ wifi (was very slow)
- rooms were cleaned very well
- flat screen tv was an excellent touch with most cable channels you might need.

Overall for the value they did a great job.

Cons

- the room was very small, it was very tight for a couple to stay, we saw other rooms as we passed when there were cleaned and none of them was as small as ours, they were quite spacious and could move around. Maybe we were given that because of the deal we were given
- our room was quite on top of the pub, it was very noisy after 10pm, when the patrons who were quite drunk/ loud were lining up to the pub and leaving, we couldn't sleep until after 3am when it started to die down, it was quite the disappointment.
- the exterior seems well kept and so as other rooms seems well kept but ours was quite out dated, one examples was there was no closet door to the closet, it looked like it was a broomstick closet.
-I guess because it was quite small room and I was trying to keep the window closed to keep the noisy pub patrons into the room it got quite hot at night (the heater was at 0 degree) and was forced to wake up several times to open the window just so it get comfortable but again the noise was unbearable.
- we went for breakfast at the restaurant- the service was good, but the food wasn't great.

What keeps this hotel stand out is the location and service of the employees and like I said most of them were friendly.

Would I come back again, not sure-it will take a lot of convincing to my husband to come back, personally I didn't mind as long as I get a decent size room facing the courtyard instead=less noise (deal breaker).

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Jane P
Jamie L, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Jane P,

Thank you for your review. It sounds like you took advantage of the LivingSocial deal we ran earlier this year and you were allocated one of our single queen rooms, which are on the smaller side especially when compared to our rooms with 2 queen sized beds.

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating, your room to be very clean and our location to be very convenient. Of course, there is a downside to our great location in the heart of downtown, and that is that there can be external noise from late night revellers in the pub adjacent to the hotel on the weekends.

If you do choose to stay with us again (and I hope you do!) I would urge you to make a special request to be allocated a room facing the courtyard or Blanshard St at the time of booking. While we can never 100% guarantee special requests, we do our utmost to honour any advanced request made by our guests.

Thank you again for your comments. We have so many guests who stay with us regularly when they visit Victoria, I truly hope you will consider our hotel for future visits – we would love the opportunity to improve on your first experience!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Only stayed for 2 nights but was a great hotel. Had struggled to find hotel in downtown Victoria but this was perfect. Very comfortable with everything we needed and nice friendly helpful staff. Hotel is two minutes from everywhere and round the corner from Sticky Wicket which is a must.

Room Tip: it is just off one of the main roads in victoria so all rooms are quieter. It is on a corner though...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bluelinerhockey,

Thank you for your outstanding review. Our goal remains to provide our guests with a clean and comfortable environment, and a friendly team who strive to help you make the most of your time in our beautiful city. I am thrilled to hear that we accomplished this!

Thank you again for your lovely comments!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

It was good value (I paid only $75 per night!) and the location is decent (right downtown, close to everything), but the hotel is kind of old and tired. Check-in service is mediocre, wifi is slow (but at least it's offered at no charge) and parking is $9 per night in addition to the room (super tight parking lot - very hard to maneuver anything other than a compact car in there!). Since I only needed a place to sleep, I chose convenience and location over luxury. I'd rate this place a solid 5/10. P.S. Smith's Pub down Courtenay Street, going towards the inner harbour, is great! It's also close to the Sticky Wicket (very fun in the summer) and all the sights downtown Victoria has to offer.

Room Tip: Try asking for a corner room which looks over one of the streets. I stayed in Room 333 which was lar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BillieLea

Dear BillieLea,

Thank you for your review, we value our guest’s feedback very much as it lets us know exactly where we can improve. I was dismayed to hear your check-in experience was mediocre. I pride myself on having an experienced, informed and friendly Front Desk team who provide great service to each of our guests, and I am sincerely sorry that we failed on this occasion.

As you mentioned, the hotel is an older building, but we are continuously in the process of updating. I hope you enjoyed some of the modern touches we have added in the past year such as the new LCD TVs, mattresses and iPod/iPhone docks. We have some additional room updates in the works for this year as well, starting with the new lighting that is currently being installed in most of our guest rooms.

I am pleased that you found our hotel to be of good value. I couldn’t agree with you more. We strive to provide our guests with a clean, affordable and friendly hotel right in the heart of Victoria.

Thank you again for your comments, I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in April 2013. The motel was originally constructed many years ago but they have done a great job updating the bedrooms and bathrooms which are excellent. Secure parking is also provided. Very central location and we found we could walk to many of Victoria's sites. Front desk staff are well trained. There were a group of teenagers staying at the motel at the same time but the motel has strict rules which are presented to groups and we had absolutely no complaints about the group. Would definitely stay here again. Well managed!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Sidewalk1234,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. We have been very busy in the last year updating our rooms, and it's always nice to hear that our guests have noticed and enjoyed the changes. I couldn't agree more with your other comments; we are in a fantastic location for discovering Victoria by foot, and I must say I am rather proud of my Front Desk team as well!

Thank you again for your review, I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back!