Union Club of British Columbia
$174
$279
$261
  • Restaurant
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)
$204
Embassy Inn(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$184
$178
Travelocity
All reviewsprivate clubreading roomgentlemen's clubempress hotelblue jeansrunning shoesold world charmpublic roomsbritish columbiabygone erainner harborking suiteeggs benedictcommon areasfour poster bedbreakfast was includedmodern amenities
Reviewed August 18, 2014

On August 9th my wife and I celebrated a very special anniversary in grand style by booking a newly renovated corner harbour view suite at the Union Club in Victoria, British Columbia. The suite was nicely updated with special decorating touches that made it really feel like a home away from home. The bathroom has been upgraded with a new vanity and an excellent shower, Its original floor was maintained with black and white tiles. This was a wise choice along with the antique armoire and the very comfortable king size bed in the adjacent bedroom. The separate sitting area was pleasantly furnished and a relaxing place to read or watch television. Our experience was truly a memorable one which was enhanced by the full breakfast (included) that we enjoyed the next morning. We look forward to booking this suite again and highly recommend it to others as a superb place to stay!

Room Tip: Book a renovated corner suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rory442
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club of British Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Club with such a lovely review. We truly appreciate all feedback we receive, as it enables the Club to continually improve our services for an optimal guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in the Harbour Suite!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I have stayed at the Union Club before and when I needed to book a hotel in VIctoria for a few nights I decided to return. I appreciate the central location but also staying here gives the guest access to the dining room, which in my opinion offers some of the best food in Victoria. Breakfast is included and the breakfast menu offers many options, including greek yogurt with honey and berries, which I appreciated having as an alternative to richer offerings like eggs benedict. The dinner buffet was Greek-themed, and was very good. I did not stay on a night when the fine dining menu was offered, but the a la carte dinner and lunch options were excellent; I would return just to have the Cobb salad again. Twice when people noticed I was eating alone they invited me to join their table, which I appreciated even though I declined the invitations. For the most part the service was very good, although the breakfast server was slow to offer refills on coffee even when the restaurant was not busy. There is a self-service coffee station nearby and some guests finally went to help themselves. The restaurant did have a coffee station in the center of the room and I was expecting that to be the source of my refills. If the staff would prefer guests to do self-service maybe they need to make that clear. The service at lunch and dinner was impeccable and on the basis of exceptional service for those meals I will still give the Union Club five stars for service. I did not spend much time in the room since I had a lot to do in Victoria; I found it unremarkable but acceptable. The dining room and public spaces are quite elegant.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jean_alberta_10
UCBC, Front Office Manager at Union Club of British Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Jean,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the union Club. Thank you for providing your feedback. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Executive Chef. Regarding the coffee refill service, I will inform the Food and Beverage Manager who will look into this further.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Wonderful location only two blocks from the Empress Hotel, Visitors Center, Harbor restaurants and entertainment and more.

The view from the roof top patio at night is beautiful after a day of tours and walking. History surrounds you from lobby to library to quiet dining room. Previously a private gentlemen's club, it is now open to all adult guests. A moderate dress code is required so read before packing.

We slept every night on luxurious linens with windows open and curtains softly waving. Bathroom was small but roomy enough with medicine cabinet. Walk in closet and safe.

Included breakfast ordered from an open menu was delicious. Order eggs or steak a little more rare than you normally like. 24 hour coffee, tea, cocoa available in lobby as well as wifi in room (a little slower connection).

I would definitely stay again and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Room with harbor view would be nice but we had city view with breeze, little noise and complaints. Slow small elevator ( historic oldest running in Vancouver)
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are certainly lucky with our historic building (101 years old), located in a prime position downtown, right by the inner harbour! I too love our elevator - the second oldest in British Columbia in fact! Thank you for providing the lovely recount of your time at the Club and we look forward to welcoming you on a return trip to the beautiful Victoria BC.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

While I have never stayed here, I have eaten here on a number of occasions, the most recent being for our annual firm general meeting and dinner. The food was simply fantastic! Tuna Tataki Salad amazing! Beef Tenderloin Sublime! Ditto for the Creme Brûlée! And the service was unbelievable. Perhaps the best I've ever experienced! True professional waitstaff who know how to give proper service, very refreshing. There are many waiters and bartenders at other more mainstream establishments who could learn many lessons from these outstanding professionals.

The many dining rooms that are available are all beautifully and elegantly appointed as is the entire facility.

This place personifies an older much more civilized, classy and dignified time, that is getting more and more difficult to find and experience nowadays. While the atmosphere is a little stuffy or old English, it must be experienced and appreciated on occasion as a special treat and to get a little taste of what the upper class Brits live like. Indeed, one gets the impression that Sir Winston Churchill might walk in, or perhaps a high ranking British Officer in a pith hat!

While I don't dine here regularly, I always enjoy it when I do and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CaseyluvsSophie

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your dining experiences at the Club. I will pass along your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager and General Manager, as they will be eager to share this with the staff. We are glad to have been able to offer you exceptional service and amenities; which the Club strives to achieve, and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the Union Club.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We just stayed here and have nothing but great things to say! The free breakfast was delicious, the servers in the dining room were lovely. Our favorite was Kaleema.
The whole building is beautiful and very warm and inviting. It feels like a home away from home.
We were very tired when we checked in and the girl at the front desk was a professional. I think her name was Elizabeth. She checked us in and knew where we had come from and when we returned a short while later she made an excellent recommendation of where to head for a light bite. She knew who we were every time we visited the lobby and every time we returned she remembered where we had been and seemed genuinely interested in our outing. It was as if she had known us forever.
Our room was homey and comfortable. All the staff made us feel like well cared for family.
I highly recommend staying here . I know if we return to Victoria again we will book at The Union Club

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank G1951con

This is such a lovely review of your recent stay with us and we are so happy to hear you had such an amazing time! I will be sure to pass on your gratitude to the staff, in particular Kaleema and Elizabeth. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Victoria, BC and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.