“Amazing view, lovely staff, yummy breakfasts.”

Victoria Regent Hotel
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, B.C.
“Amazing view, lovely staff, yummy breakfasts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed for two nights in a harbor view suite at the V.R. The view was absolutely gorgeous; it was hard for us to bring ourselves to close the curtains at night and go to sleep because we were mesmerized, just lying all cuddled up in the (comfiest!) king-size bed and watching the lights on the water and the cars driving by in the distance.

The staff were friendly and helpful throughout, even the maids were friendlier and more cheerful than I've ever encountered in a hotel before. The ladies working in the breakfast cafe were awesome and seemed to have a real rapport withe the guests who'd been staying longer term.

The continental breakfast actually stood out a lot for me. I've been to much more expensive 5-star hotels who still consistently serve a bit of that cheap three fruit salad and stale pastries and call it your complimentary continental breakfast without a hint of irony. The Victoria Regent had a great spread of options every morning. Plenty of grains, cereals on the scale from very healthy to sugary kids cereal, hot oatmeal, yogurts, cottage cheese, fresh fruits and fruit salad, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice and a wide selection of teas. We were fully fueled up for our adventures each day.

We stayed in a suite because we had a coupon for it. I don't think I'd choose a suite again on a two-night stay as we really only needed the room for sleeping, showering and leaving our suitcases, but if I were staying longer on business then I would love to have a suite at the V.R. The furnishings are simple, but comfortable and stylish. The kitchen is fully stocked with all of the tools you'd need to prepare your own meals.

The hotel is very well situated beside the downtown center and a very short walk to the main tourist attractions like the museum and the parliament building.

I highly recommend this little gem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PopRoxy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Korean first
annapolis, md
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I would have been happy to write a glowing review of this property as initially our experience here was good - the one bedroom suite was super spacious and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the location was excellent.

The problem? Elevators. I am not sure how a hotel of this size can remain open while doing maintenance to their lifts. First, there was no staff elevator. (Or if there was it was down too). That meant all the maids, service people and other workers had to use the one and only elevator that was functioning. My companion was in a wheel chair so there we many times after a long wait, the doors would open only to reveal that we could not fit in the space.

Ok, irritating but not a deal breaker. On our second day, we were leaving the hotel and I pushed the button for the elevator. After waiting what seemed like a long time, I went back to the room to call the front desk. I was informed that the only functioning elevator was now out of service but should be running in minutes. Another prolonged wait, another call to the front desk. What was astonishing to me at this point was that no one offered us any assistance knowing our situation. I had to specifically request someone to come up so that they could carry the wheel chair and help my companion down the stairs.

As we left the hotel, we were assured that it would be fixed soon. We didn't think about it again as this was our vacation and we wanted to enjoy it without worrying about technical problems at our hotel. Upon returning after about four hours, we were stunned to see the that the only working elevator was still not working. By now a little crowd formed in the lobby with another disabled woman all waiting to get to their rooms.

Again, as friendly as the staff was, they were obviously ill equipped to deal with a situation such as this. I suppose they anticipated that we would all just hang out in the tiny lobby until (who knows when) we would be able to get to our rooms. Well my companion was tired, and needed oxygen. I told the young staff that someone needs to carry her to our room as she needed her treatment. Again, they complied but only after I insisted. They had no contingency plans, and had no clue as to how to handle this most difficult situation. If I have had enough energy I would have intervened on the other woman's behalf as well, but I had to assist elsewhere. I just hope someone in her group took control and demanded help as well.

I cannot fathom how a hotel would be able to fully function in all of its capacity with only one elevator in service. It's not just a disruption to the guests, but all the staff as well. What if there was a medical emergency on the seventh floor? A business's performance and ability is best measured during difficult times, and I have to say the Regent really blew it here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank llpupa
earlwilde, General Manager at Victoria Regent Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Victoria Regent.

The afternoon you refer to was a very stressful one for everyone concerned, our guests and residents, our staff and even for the elevator technicians who blamed themselves for the accidental malfunction that led to the second, and only operating elevator breaking down.

It is no secret that as buildings age and technology advances, modernization of certain components of those buildings must take place. We knew that the elevators had to be upgraded and we tried to select the two month period in which business is traditionally slower to perform the work. Closing down is not an option as we are a mixed use building with residential suites as well as hotel suites. As it turns out, we have been busier than expected and that has put unexpected pressure on the elevator usage.

I am not sure how we could have prepared for the generator to fail or to be without any elevator service at all. We are a small operation and do not have legions of staff available to carry people up and down the stairs. However, I can assure you that we did our best to come to the aid of those who could not manage the stairs. It required four able bodied men to carry each individual up as many as eight floors. In addition to your companion, that was done at least four other times, including twice with me (over 60) as part of the carrying crew.

We apologize for the inconvenience this isolated instance caused you and your companion. Please feel free to contact me and I will make arrangements to forward a gift certificate for your next visit to the Regent.

Earl Wilde
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The location is surrounded by restaurants, the harbour and shopping. The hotel has free underground parking, WIFI ,and breakfast. The room had a king bed, complimentary water and a large plasama TV. Not sure what more anybody wants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeelowRegina_Canada
Campbell River, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

18 women for two nights, we had three two bedroom suites, all with panoramic ocean views. The suites had full kitchens, living and dining that were situated inbetween the two bedrooms that both had their own washroom. Everything in downtown Victoria is walkable from this hotel. The staff were polite and patient. The beds were comfy bathrooms were nice size with good water pressure. I would recommend this for anyone travelling together in a group, friends or family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lizzed
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is spacious, affordable and in a fantastic location. The views over the harbour are stunning and the rooms are large, luxurious and our room boasted a kitchen, a lounge area and separate large bedroom. The staff were geniune and helpful and our stay here added to our wonderful experience of Victoria as a whole.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a fantastic hotel for the price I paid! Got a free upgrade to a harbour-view suite with full living room and kitchen. The free breakfast was lovely, served in a sit-down restaurant with a view of the harbour, offering various kinds of cereals, hot cereal, fresh cut fruit, fresh and packaged pastry, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juices, and tea and coffee. Very friendly service, and free parking too. Location is great for walking to common tourists attractions. I only wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Patricia M
Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

What an amazing hotel in an amazing location. We were upgraded to a two bedroom suite with 5 star views of the harbour. The suite itself was luxury (406) with two bedrooms, each with it’s own bathroom, a full kitchen, den and dining room overlooking the harbour. The living room was very comfortable with a fireplace and leather club chairs. The harbour view was mesmerizing … float planes, yachts, sail boats, canoes .. all manner of activity. This hotel is in the perfect location with float plane dock, tour boats and water taxis just outside your door. Because this is downtown, there are amazing restaurants and shops steps away. The staff was exceptionally friendly and the cleaning crew were friendly, fast and efficient. I can’t find a single thing wrong and we will be back. Oh .. and there is an astray on the deck – very civilized - and the way the balconies are positioned there is no way a neighbor can be impositioned, so enjoy your wine and cigar on the deck and just take in the spectacular environment! This would make a perfect get away for two couples looking for a great weekend of fun, luxury and great dining experiences. We will be back with friends!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple