“Clean but a little noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Robin Hood Motel

Robin Hood Motel
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Rotterdam
“Clean but a little noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

This motel offered a nice and very clean room. The staff was helpful and though it's located outside the centre of town, it's just a short distance to some shops and restaurants. The only complaint we can make is that it this motel can be noisy: if you get a room downstairs there is a chance the neighbours upstairs will wake you up (even without making a lot of noise) as you can hear them walking around. We paid 107 dollar (inc tax) for one night, which seemed to be overpriced for this accomodation, but Victoria is expensive during the high-season.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Comox,British Columbia,Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

I dont like to start off a review with a negative title but I felt I had to in this case.I dont mind value or budget accommodations as long as they are clean.For my experience this was not the case here.Very outdated furniture,old carpets and dusty.Busy,noisy street
I just didnt like the overall experiance,it is a half motel,half long term accommodation residence.I just couldnt find redeeming qualities about the place
I wouldnt recommend it to friends or family.If I was stuck and needed a place to spend a night(which I was) I would maybe stay and leave(which I did)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank islandrockin

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

My daughter and I went to Victoria from Kelowna to visit with her father who is in early stages of Parkinson's. We "chose" to stay at Robin Hood because we ended up there last summer and that was purely from not having a predestined place in mind but a need to place ourselves before our late hour turned into night. We were pleasantly accommodated and we also had a Golden Retriever that was welcomed. We were struck by the cleanliness of everything. We had two bedrooms and a pull-out sofa, a good size living room and kitchen. (There were 3 of us : grandmother, daughter, granddaughter) and we wanted for nothing because the cupboards were supplied with every item you might need. We were especially pleased with the good condition of the pots and pans, small appliances and no chips or cracks in the dishes - 5 Star. The location is excellent to all areas of interest. The staff are warm and friendly and so willing to accommodate you in any way. I loved the first review because they explained it so well. I need to add that along with an excellent stay the prices are affordable and on a budgeted trip you just might have enough left over to enjoy another mouth-watering feed of fresh fish and fries on the waterfront. If life permits I will return next year.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank victor058
BC, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

+ Location excellent, nice bike trail to downtown. 2mins from harbor + parliament building etc
+ Cheap, $71
+ friendly reception staff

- Decor severely outdated, room looked like a 70s movie set. Bed made us itch. Needed binoculars to watch the TV from the bed.
- Bathroom felt dirty, shower impossible to set to a comfortable temperature.
- paper thin walls
- drilling outside in the morning at 8am

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdamS1984
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

While the décor and layout (and even the receptionist!) are 1960s throwbacks, we found this classic motel to be clean, quiet, and pretty well appointed considering the price we paid.

For $78 a night all in we got a suite on the second floor with a kitchen area, a queen bed in its own room, and tidy bathroom, and a spacious living room. There were closets and cupboard aplenty and lots of room in the bedroom for luggage. The furniture appeared to be 1960s vintage but proved to be in excellent condition. The bed was particularly comfortable with a selection of excellent pillows. The bedroom was quiet since it was at the back, away from the road, and overlooked a bamboo-laden garden. The sheer curtains on the main windows were a great touch, essential for privacy and light where the exterior walkway passes by a room’s main windows, but absent in most motels. Another nice touch was the electric baseboard heater and thermostat in each room. These enabled us to quickly adjust the temperature to our liking, such as warm in the bathroom and cool in the bedroom at night. Bad or noisy temperature control can be a big annoyance in low-cost motels.

Our room was pretty quiet in general. This surprised us since Gorge Road can be busy, especially at rush hour. However, the motel is set back quite a way from the road and has several gigantic cedar trees in front. Moreover, the three-story wing of the motel extends well back on the property, perpendicular to the road and along the rear garden. Also, the motel was not busy during our stay. With a lot of guests, there may be more noise, since the between-room soundproofing was thin enough for us to hear the TV from the room below ours.

The location relative to Victoria’s main attractions is very good. For cyclists, the Galloping Goose Regional Trail passes only a block away. Walkers can follow the Galloping Goose across the Gorge waterway and along the waterfront into downtown, or stroll over to new Jutland Road neighbourhood with its condos, waterfront, and the chic Glo Europub. For drivers, downtown is only 10 minutes away and access is easy to highway #1 (up island) and #17 (to the ferries). Walkers should be aware that this is not the best neighbourhood in Victoria, particularly late at night when a few nearby motel pubs and beer stores attract delinquency, as they during our Saturday night stay.

The motel does not offer breakfast, which is fine since what some motels at this level try to pass off as a “breakfast” are nothing more than a muffin, powdered juice, and stale coffee. Instead, we got a kitchenette room. For breakfast out, you’ll need to take the car but nearby Douglas Street has a White Spot, Denny’s, Serious Coffee and more.

The only deficiencies that we encountered had to do with security. The old-fashioned room keys should be replaced with a more secure and decidedly modern electronic card system. Also, our room’s door had only a small deadbolt and chain as secondary security. Not good enough for a motel with exterior access. These problems may be compensated for by the vigilance of the caretakers, who appear to live on premises in a unit that overlooks the main parking area.

If a room at the Robin Hood is at the price that you can afford in accommodation (especially in summer high season, when Victoria hotel rates go up so high), then I can safely say that you would be hard pressed to find a better return on your accommodation dollar.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NW_Raven
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

My husband, 14-yr-old son and I stayed at the Robin Hood Motel for 3 nights. Our room faced a quiet street and was very clean with comfortable beds and bedding. We opted to rent at an additional $10/day the adjoining kitchen, which was perfect for us. The kitchen was large enought to accomodate a table, apartment-size electric stove and apartment-size fridge with top freezer. It also had 4 of everything one could need in terms of cutlery and dishware. About 2 blocks away is one entry point of the "Galloping Goose Trail" which is a walking/biking trail that leads one all the way down to the center of Victoria near the docks. It took us perhaps 35 minutes to walk from the hotel to the "city" and the views are fabulous. The staff of the Robin Hood are extremely helpful and friendly without being overly so, and gave us many tips on what to do and see in Victoria as well as how to manage the public transit system, where to go for lunch, etc. If you are not looking for glamorous accomodations or chocolates on your pillow and just need a clean, basic, well-situated place to stay, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank elaineBSacramento_CA
Westcoast_Girl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I am a loyal Trip Advisor visitor and I also love to review the places I stay as I have found that this site is very accurate! I read the reviews on here, and so when we were booked to stay here for a film we were working on, I had no worries. It is central, clean, basic and good value, although quite in need of a renovation. Some rooms even have kitchens, albeit dated decor and all that - but not a concern.

My concern lies with how rude the staff was to me. It is a husband and wife that run the motel, but I can honestly say I have never been treated so rudely in my life. They were so judgmental and I think wrote us off as punks as soon as we moved in, even though we are all thirty-something professionals. We are a professional film crew and work almost 16 hours a day - we basically slept there each night and were gone all day. They were rude to any visitors that came to visit, and I was just shocked and disappointed that given the business we had given them in the shoulder season, it has been such a negative stay. If it were up to me, I would have left immediately but our production booked the motel.

There was a senior citizen's group staying while we were there, and they smoked like chimneys outside their rooms and were louder than any of us - however, I think we were blacklisted from the start.

I have travelled all over the world and have yet to be treated with such contempt and judgment, and just plain rudeness as this gentleman who owns the motel has been. To boot, every motel room has framed biblical verses on the walls. Perhaps he should re-read them!

I hate to badmouth local motels as they are a nice break from the standardized chains, but I will absolutely not be back, and I will be sure to share my experience with anyone travelling to Victoria. The economy is such that there is no room for such behaviour in the tourism industry. Disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business