“Great basic accomodations; friendly, helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Robin Hood Motel
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Sacramento, CA
“Great basic accomodations; friendly, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

My husband, 14-yr-old son and I stayed at the Robin Hood Motel for 3 nights. Our room faced a quiet street and was very clean with comfortable beds and bedding. We opted to rent at an additional $10/day the adjoining kitchen, which was perfect for us. The kitchen was large enought to accomodate a table, apartment-size electric stove and apartment-size fridge with top freezer. It also had 4 of everything one could need in terms of cutlery and dishware. About 2 blocks away is one entry point of the "Galloping Goose Trail" which is a walking/biking trail that leads one all the way down to the center of Victoria near the docks. It took us perhaps 35 minutes to walk from the hotel to the "city" and the views are fabulous. The staff of the Robin Hood are extremely helpful and friendly without being overly so, and gave us many tips on what to do and see in Victoria as well as how to manage the public transit system, where to go for lunch, etc. If you are not looking for glamorous accomodations or chocolates on your pillow and just need a clean, basic, well-situated place to stay, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank elaineBSacramento_CA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Westcoast_Girl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I am a loyal Trip Advisor visitor and I also love to review the places I stay as I have found that this site is very accurate! I read the reviews on here, and so when we were booked to stay here for a film we were working on, I had no worries. It is central, clean, basic and good value, although quite in need of a renovation. Some rooms even have kitchens, albeit dated decor and all that - but not a concern.

My concern lies with how rude the staff was to me. It is a husband and wife that run the motel, but I can honestly say I have never been treated so rudely in my life. They were so judgmental and I think wrote us off as punks as soon as we moved in, even though we are all thirty-something professionals. We are a professional film crew and work almost 16 hours a day - we basically slept there each night and were gone all day. They were rude to any visitors that came to visit, and I was just shocked and disappointed that given the business we had given them in the shoulder season, it has been such a negative stay. If it were up to me, I would have left immediately but our production booked the motel.

There was a senior citizen's group staying while we were there, and they smoked like chimneys outside their rooms and were louder than any of us - however, I think we were blacklisted from the start.

I have travelled all over the world and have yet to be treated with such contempt and judgment, and just plain rudeness as this gentleman who owns the motel has been. To boot, every motel room has framed biblical verses on the walls. Perhaps he should re-read them!

I hate to badmouth local motels as they are a nice break from the standardized chains, but I will absolutely not be back, and I will be sure to share my experience with anyone travelling to Victoria. The economy is such that there is no room for such behaviour in the tourism industry. Disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank VanBC_girl

Travelers are raving about these Victoria hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

I stayed here with my teenage sons. The unit was clean and well equipped. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. This motel is great value for money and well located - only a 5 minute walk down to the waters edge. A supermarket and other shops are only a 3 minute drive away. Downtown Victoria is about 5 minutes in the other direction.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Geoff H
Newport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2007

An average, basic room that’s reasonably priced for Victoria. No AC or closet, but fairly roomy. Quite clean. Good staff.

It’s on Gorge Road—not in downtown Victoria, but close enough—in a pleasant, older middle class neighborhood that has a number of motels and apartment houses. Good walks nearby along the “Gorge”.

• Stayed September 2007
1 Thank barent
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

This was the fourth time in the past 3 years that I have stayed at the Robin Hood Motel in Victoria, BC, and on each occasion I have found the rooms to be exceptionally clean and odour free, a staff that goes out of their way to be helpful and accommodating, a place where tourism is a high priority amongst the staff who make great suggestions for day trips, places to visit and things that are a must to see during your visit to Victoria. The location is ideal for bus connections to the down town area and if you are ambitious and don't mind the exercise, it is even within walking distance. When I return to Victoria in the spring, I will again book a room at the Robin Hood and will continue to recommend it to anyone who asks me about my choice for the best place to stay at a reasonable rate.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Albertan_7
Port Angeles, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

This was one of the cleanest (and I mean clean!) and nicest motels we've stayed at in a long time. The room was spotless, and spacious, as was the bathroom. There was no smell, no smoke, no grime, no dirt - nothing like that at all!! (Believe me, I'm picky, so when I say CLEAN, I mean it!!)
It was quiet too, and the bed was quite comfortable.
We have stayed in a few famous 'chain' motels that didn't even compare to this one!! We enjoyed our stay very much. It was restful and convenient.
The staff were all friendly and helpful and 'down to earth!'
We were very pleased with our stay and actually stayed another night there before heading back home. The price was very reasonable, especially compared to other comparable motels in the area. I highly recomend this motel.

• Liked — The cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms.
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank sassh53
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Very nice, clean place for an overnight. The staff was friendly and attentive. Privately owned, and operated with a pride missing from big chains. Located on the bus line, but next time we'll bring/rent a car. Not air-conditioned but fans were provided during an unusual heat wave for this part of the world. We had a little problem with people smoking outside their rooms but nothing that couldn't be resolved with a friendly word. Beverages were available for purchase out of the lobby refrigerator--a nice homey touch. Lastly, the shower was the best with strong pressure. We'll definitely stay again.

• Liked — Staff, value, clealiness
  • Disliked — Limited amentities
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple