“It did the job”

Red Lion Inn & Suites Victoria
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I spent one night in the Red Lion and the experience was pretty good. I arrived early and had to get down to Victoria but this was no problem - the staff looked after my bags until I got back. The room was quite large and clean - one problem was that the WC flap valve didn't reseat but I managed to fix that quite easily.

The hotel is a little out of town but it is a short walk to the bus stop and there is a frequent service.

The V lounge is a sports bar and was OK, the Fox club round the corner is a strip club but I didn't go in there. I didn't see any of the unsavoury characters that other reviews have talked about, maybe I was unlucky :-). I didn't notice any noise.

The hotel was good value for a one nighter and fully fulfilled my expectations.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the car park seem to be quieter than the others.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I came to Victoria to celebrate my grandfather’s 90th birthday in the middle of June. Because the birthday party was held in Jade Fountain Chinese Restaurant attached to the Red Lion Inn and Suites, I decided to book a room in the hotel. I was pleased to find my stay was a wonderful experience. The hotel has obviously gone through some renovation as my room was with new carpet and a new kitchen. The room was comfortable and the bed sheets were incredibly crisp. Not hard and stiff, but very clean. The bathroom was with granite though out. The party at the Jade Fountain was very memorable and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: The room is very quiet as the wall is brick not wood! Sound-proof is wonderful! They provide Free W...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alex M
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Loved it! Everyone in the staff were very kind. But the one who made a huge difference in our staying was Chris. If you want to know the best way for your needs on getting to know Victoria, ask Chris. Very knowledgable and honest. Tell him what you would like to see and what your budget is and he'll take it from there!
The rooms were very clean, yes small, but comfortable. The area very nice and safe.

Room Tip: Family Suite including kitchen
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent three nights here in July 2012. The room was clean and the staff friendly. There is a Chinese restaurant on the premises that offers a discount to guests. We got take-out one evening and it was pretty good. The V Lounge next door is a sports bar, not a "strip club" as stated in other reviews. I did check out there website after reading the recent reviews and see they occasionally have a male dancer review, but this is a far cry from a strip club. We went into the V Lounge one evening looking for a late night snack and the environment wasn't bad, though we weren't able to get food as it was too late. And yes, there is a liquor store on the premises but it wasn't a haven for unsavory characters.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Nothing about this place made me feel comfortable. Strip club and liquor stor next door, and lots of sketchy people hanging out in the parking lot. I was half-expecting my car to be broken into in the morning.

Common areas of the hotel are filthy, and everything is old and in disrepair. The stairwells are filled with dirt, stains and empty beer bottles. Mattresses and pillows are heavily used and feel both dirty and uncomfortable. Overall it seems like management has zero interest in keeping this place clean.

Front desk staff were pretty average as well. They certainly didn't do much to welcome me to this dump.

This hotel is cheap, but I strongly recommend spending a few more dollars and going elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank outdoorenthusiast01
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here in May for a night while in Victoria. The price was right but we didn't feel comfortable with the location. It is attached to a strip club. I'm glad our children were not with us. The room was small and the bed was small. It was clean and well kept. The staff were friendly and helpful. We won't be staying here again just because of the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We didn't have high expectations when we went to the Red Lion, but it was clean and well kept for an older hotel. The pleasant surprise was how close it was to Uptown mall, which was lovely. It wasn't fancy, but the staff were kind and helpful and the room was clean. It was a five minute drive to downtown Victoria and several chain restaurants close by.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple