“Paradise in Victoria”

GreenLeadersSilver level
So. Cal
“Paradise in Victoria”
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This boutique hotel is a gem. We had reservations for the Laurel Wing, but once we arrived and saw the Erickson rooms; we changed without hesitation. Those rooms are worth every additional penny if you enjoy spacious modern accomodations. The Laurel Wing isn't bad, it just doesn't have the wow factor. There are two views: one looking over the Japaneese Garden backside bay or the city. At first, we wanted to change to the city, but after looking at concrete in Vancouver; we found the backside view incredibly peaceful and serene. As previous posters mentioned; the Inn at Laurel Point is extremely convenient if you are traveling on the Victoria Clipper and the hotel is very accomodating with early arrivals and holding luggage. The Aura restaurant has fabulous food! We tried numerous recommended restaurants while in Canada, and this one topped all of them. We were surprised they aren't written up from coast to coast, however, they are considered a newer restaurant. Try it! If we ever make it back to Victoria we'd stay here. Thanks for the beautiful memories Inn at Laurel Point.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank socalbeachbum97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I purchased a package through Clipper Vacations that included the boat ride from Seattle and one night's hotel at Inn at Laurel Point. The Clipper arrives in Victoria at 10:45am and I immediately went to the hotel, which was right next door to the Clipper dock, and asked if on a chance there was a room I could check into. Luckily they had a room available and I was able to check in much earlier than their 4pm check in time. THANKS!!

I got a beautiful suite in the Laurel Wing - a nice sitting room with sink and refrig (but interestingly no microwave), and a bedroom with a king bed and a very nice balcony with beautiful views of the harbor. The two rooms are separated with very lovely Japanese style french doors. In the closet was a safe and some comfy robes! THANKS!

The bathroom was nice sized. I had problems with my safe in my room but after calling for help, someone appeared quickly and reset the safe for me. She was very very kind. THANKS!

I took advantage of the room service for dinner and I loved the won ton shrimp and edamame dish although I would have loved more edamame than what I got. But it was still yummy!

I also ordered room service breakfast - the oatmeal. Although I asked for just brown sugar and maple syrup, the oatmeal came with the apples that is standard in it. I just pulled them out but it would be nice if they actually listened to me saying "just brown sugar and a little maple syrup." And apparently they don't know brown sugar like we know it - I got raw sugar which is not the same as brown sugar. But it was good after I pulled out the apple slices (I'm just not an apple girl).

I checked out and they were happy to hold my bag so I could explore the town a little more before taking the 6pm Clipper back to Seattle. THANKS!!

Many of the comments stress trying to get a room in the new Erickson Wing - but the room I had in the Laurel Wing was beautiful and comfortable. The Aura restaurant is supposed to be noteworthy but I didn't have a chance to dine in it.

The front desk people are wonderful. I asked for a cab and they happily called one for me. The housekeeping staff are friendly - say hello to them as you pass them in the hall. It's amazing to me that people walk by them as if they do not exist. Say hello - it doesn't cost anything and I think it makes their day!

All in all the Laurel Point is a gorgeous place and very convenient to the Clipper so if you are booking a package, choose this delightful little gem! You will not be disappointed!! Even if they do leave the apple slices in your oatmeal :)!

Claire Rodman

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Colchester, UK
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Obtained the room through Hotwire and having read the reviews was slightly apprehensive as I knew we would be in the old wing. However our room was really nice and it seemed like it had been upgraded. Had a view of the harbour etc. Easy walk into town - no need for a car. Would certainly return!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Loved the bed, and loved the accommodations. Especially the decor.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern Colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We took an impromptu getaway for a couple of nights and decided on the Inn at Laurel Point based on tripadvisor reviews. The location is fantastic, being steps away from the ferry and slightly off the beaten path.

We could see the older rooms as we walked up, and they looked less-than-stellar. We decided at check-in to pay a little more for one of the more modern rooms... completely worth it. Our room was modern, luxurious, and featured the most incredible balcony overlooking the water.

Service was excellent and the hotel restaurant was a great choice for breakfast.

We highly recommend this hotel to couples, with the caveat that you choose an updated room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
seattle
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here for our anniversary, and had a wonderful time. The newly remodeled rooms (suites) are fantastic - hip modern style like you would get at the W or something. Big decks looking out at the water where you could watch the sea planes land and the boats going in and out of the harbor. It was a great choice for us - especially compared to some of the stuffy looking hotels in town.

The food we ordered for room service was great quality. We didn't try the restaurant, but it also looked good.

Cons: its a big of a walk from the heart of town (a few blocks). We really enjoyed that part because it involves walking along the water, but if you had trouble getting around it might be difficult.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Eureka, California
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We planned this September trip in May and booked a Terrace Suite so we would have views of the sunset. A friend had stayed here and recommended it to us and she was so right. When we went to check in we gave our name and were told they had overbooked our room. I was thinking oh no where are we going to end up when they told us we had been upgraded to the Penthouse. We were up on the sixth floor of the Erikson Wing, had a double door entry, 1-1/2 baths, living room, dining area, refrigerator with a freezer, microwave, a drawer dishwasher, king size bed, a huge bathroom with two person jacuzzi tub and huge views in every room. There were drawers for clothes and plenty of closet space and hangers. I was a bit apprehensive about not getting sun in the evening because most of the room faced the inner harbor (east side of the Inn) but our room had a huge wrap around deck that went from the bedroom all the way up to the living and then wrapped around to the other side of the living room. The deck area at the tip of the living room jutted out and we were able to sit at the point and watch the sunset, have a drink and at night we had views of the Parliment Building all lit up. We watched the sea planes taxi out to take off and then watched them land and taxi in; we watched the ferries dock. The bed was very comfortable, every room had it's our thermostat so we were able to keep the bedroom cool for sleeping and keep the bathroom warm for drying off. This room surpassed our expectations, it was a pure joy to be in it, in fact it was hard to leave.

We ate dinner once in the restaurant and it was very good, the breakfast is disappointing. Very expensive and nothing special - head over to Willie's Bakery on Johnson and you'll get a much better breakfast (and they have great Latte's). The Inn's location was great. We stayed here 4 days and walked everywhere. Did not rent a car, just did a lot of walking. Rained one day but they have umbrellas in room and in the lobby. Wanted an in room massage but they are not offering the service right now, the front desk referred us to the Grand Hotel's Spa and we got great massage's there.

We absolutely enjoyed our stay here and will be going back, just can't say enough good things about it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple