“Great view and great hotel”

Inn at Laurel Point
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I are always requesting an ocean view or water view whenever applicable. The First time we checked into the hotel we went to check the room out. And to my amazement and astonishment the view was of a duck pond about 10 feet in Diameter. I called the reservationist immediately and said you've got to be joking, I don't think a duck pond qualifies for a water view <smile> I was thinking of something a little more vast where boats or seaplanes can be viewed. So after an apology she quickly set me up with what our reservation entailed. We were several hours early and I think she was more interested in complying with an earlier than normal arrival. The hotel was nicely appointed and contemporary in design. We were quite pleased for the 2 days there.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floor would be natural for location.The point offers much as far as water views are conc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Greetings from the Inn Dawei13,

Well now, it sound like you found a water view that suited you :) Being on a peninnsula, we are certainly not lacking waterviews. And our Japanese Gardens and reflecting pond are amongst the finest botanical areas in the city - perfect for weddings actually.
I do hope you will have an opportunity to return again one day for yet another visit! So glad you enjoyed your stay!

All the best,

There are newer reviews for Inn at Laurel Point

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The view, the room, the staff, the restaurant, the convenience to everything. Could not have been better. This is a great place to stay in Victoria. It was recommended by a friend and those things don't always work out, but this one definitely did. One of the best thing...quietest room ever! There were people on our floor but we never heard a door close, talking, or any general hotel noise. It was wonderful. Did I mention the view? Oh, my.

Room Tip: I think most of the rooms face the inner harbor, just from different angles. All should have a good...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear HattieD24,

So glad you had an "AHHHHHHHHH" stay!
I hope you get a chance to return to our beautiful hotel again one day!

Enjoy that Texas Fall!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We are still residing here for the week of this writing. First of all the hotel rooms in the Erickson wing are wonderful with most amenities provided for. The view is tremendous, especially if you are not used to the ocean and a harbour. Boats of all kinds, seaplanes and walkers along beautiful trails envelope the eyes. So far the food has been good though i personally find it a bit expensive for my tastes.
What I am finding MOST frustrating is what I consider to be essentials these days. First - internet access. I am only speaking of wireless here. I use an Ipad and have become quite dependent on wireless. I use it for everything not just the social media stuff but also planning my trip, looking up things etc. Currently i am sitting in the corridor because that is the only place to get good service! The only other place is in the entrance to the room and the bathroom. Once into room especially at the far end where the chairs and patio are there is virtually nothing! many calls to the front desk and to their provider yielded no results. Shameful really.
Second frustration is the television service. It doesn't even have a menu on it to see what is coming up. So one needs to go onling to "Zap2it" for example. Oh waitI can't - no wireless. Screen size is small too. I have seen 40" LCD's at cheaper hotels. Here it they are 32".
The thing is when you are paying for an upgraded room to the tune of $220 dollars or so I expect far better than what is being provided!

Room Tip: If you expect wireless and TV service this is not for you. Also access to public transportation is l...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hi there Dosvader,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed staying with us and that everything was wonderful with the exception of 2 things; 1.) the quality of our FREE WIFI and 2.) our flat screen TV's.
I would like to take a moment, if I may, to address both issues and perhaps shed some light on our position.
You mentioned that you enjoy using you ipad or tablet for conducting research etc and in fact have come to rely upon it as your source of information for almost everything you do and that you found it very frustrating to not be able to connect. Can I say that, at any given time in our hotel, there are hundreds of other guests who are doing the exact same thing and are even down loading games and movies to enjoy.As I am sure you are aware, the bandwidth in not infinite and with the size of the files being downloaded etc, it goes without saying that the bandwidth quickly reaches it's max. However, we do have ethernet cables and connections in each and every room and a paid connection is always available should you need to access the internet quickly for that important information. We even have a business centre in our Marble Lobby for those who did not bring their computers. So, I do hope this sheds a little light on the Free WiFi/bandwidths situation.
AS for your dislike of the 32" flat screenTV's; I would like to say that these TV's are 5 years old now and they work perfectly. Being one of British Columbia's only carbon neutral hotels, it is important for us to remain cogniscent of what goes into a landfill and what does not. Would we love to keep up with the ever changing trends? Of course. Are we willing to toss a hundred perfectly good TV's away just to keep up with the "trend du jour" of bigger is better? Frankly, in good conscience we cannot.......yet. We will, in time have to consider changing out our 32" flat sceen TV's but for now, we think our guests certainly understand and are satified with the units already in place.
I do hope that this explains a little bit of our position.
Also, I do hope that you will still consider our Inn your hotel of choice while in Victoria.

All the best for a wonderful fall wherever you may be.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrived from the ferry at Swartz Bay. Very friendly reception. Dashed out to the Emily Carr exhibition and then on to Pescatores for a fish dinner, so little time in hotel. Pool opens at 7am so I had the pleasure of a solitary swim before breakfast. Good views of the harbour from Laurel Point. Valet parking extra and breakfast a little expensive. Victoria is interesting however and the Inn is a good place to stay while there (presumably at a better rate than the Empress or the Pacific Grand).

Room Tip: Pescatores for fish
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear pierotlunaire,

Thank you for your delightful review! So glad you enjoyed your brief stay with us!
Have a fabulous fall- wherever your travels take you!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

we stayed at The Inn at Laurel Point last year and loved it so much we went back for more on our touring trip this year. Fantastic location. Fabulous views, Excellent restaurant, super friendly (not obsequious) staff and just the right creature comforts. They claim to be green and MEAN it, you can really use a towel two days running!

Room Tip: good to overlook the river/estuary if you like boats and boat planes!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lori f

Dear Lori f,
I am completely delighted that you returned this year for another Vancouver Island adventure...all the way from the UK! And I am completely delighted that we did not disspoint-again!
You are "spot on" when you say that we are not "gimmicky" - afterall, with a water front property such as ours within close proximity to all the conveniences of our beautiufl downtown core, bundled up in one of Victoria's most beautiful buildings - there is no need to be!
Perhaps you will consider coming back for yet another trip next year???

Thanks again and all the best for a fabulous fall!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Beautiful view and convenient for walking into the town. The rooms were clean and modern. We could watch the ships come in and out of the harbor. There is a restaurant available but we did not eat there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor.

Dear jmerryinaz,

Thank you for you brief but succinct review. So glad you enjoyed you visit to both our fair city and our beautiful Inn.

All the best ,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were a little hesitant as reviews were somewhat mixed & made a point to book the Erickson wing. It was a great stay from the moment we checked in with the pleasant, helpful staff who offered a complimentary upgrade without being asked. The room was large, quiet and very nicely appointed. The bathroom was large with an over-sized tub, 2 sinks & room to spread out. The bed was comfy, lovely view and room service delicious and fast. Good location & an all-around perfect stay. Everything was so good that we couldn't help looking over at the other wing & asking ourselves "how bad could it possibly be?"

Room Tip: We did stay in the Erickson wing but the other rooms seem to also enjoy a good orientation.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Managing Director at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear NandNTravels,

I cannot thank you enough for posting your amazing review. I am so pleased that you elected to give us a try and that we didn’t disappoint. What more could a hotelier ask for?
I do hope that when you return to Victoria you will make the Inn your hotel of choice and perhaps become part of our Innsiders loyalty program.
Have a wonderful end of summer.