“We'd stay here again!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“We'd stay here again!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We came here on a tour package and LOVED it! Great room with a spectacular view, large bathroom and very nice staff.
It was so nice to keep the car parked in the garage and walk around in Victoria for shopping, dinner and evening siteseeing. We were not scheudled to depart unitl early evening, so we dropped our luggage with the bellmen and went back on foot to expore more of the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Managing Director at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear arthamak,

Thank you for posting you great comments. As you discovered one really doesn't need a car to get around Victoria. It is a great walking city, the weather is always temperate and the city is built around the working harbour, so one gets a true maritime experience while strolling around town. There are so many brew pubs and bistros to choose from and we have really funky little boutiques that are definitely worth visiting.
The next time you decide to visit, you can always leave your car in Seattle, hop on the Victoria Clipper for a 2 hrs ride into Victoria's inner harbour. And would you believe it... The Clipper is about 2 or 3 hundred steps from our hotel.Voila! ...instant Victoria Vacation with no car hassles at all!
Hope to see you again. Make sure to check our website from time to time, we often have some smoking good deals to offer!

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Cheers,

~Judy~

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Korean first
Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have travelled all over the world. This was my first trip to Victoria, with my mother who is elderly and has mobility problems. Our room was perfect and we loved the harbour view. The grounds were perfect for sitting outside and watching the seaplanes and boats in the harbour. All of the staff went out of their way to help my mother to and from our car and giving us directions to sights in the city. The valet service was excellent and I believe well worth the cost considering my mother needed front door service. Room service and meals were prompt and delicious. We also loved the location of the hotel, in a private cove that made it quite peaceful and near all of the sights and Fisherman's Wharf. I would highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HuckleberryTex
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear HuckleberryTex,

Firstly, thank you SO much for deciding to stay with us. I am thrilled that you and your Mom discovered our little piece of paradise, here on the edge of Victoria's most charming harbour. We really are very accessible to everything in Victoria aren't we? The downtown core is but a mere 10 minute walk and it's a fairly easy and flat walk for someone accompanying a Mom in a wheelchair.
I do hope you will make our Inn your hotel of choice from now on in when visiting our lovely city.

Thanks again for your heartfelt comments!
Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Warm regards,

Mystic
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I chose the Inn after reading many reviews. All the positives are exactly right. But, I was surprised none mentioned the one thing I had a problem with. Just outside the hotel, on the water, is what the water taxi driver called "a very busy runway". Seaplanes take off starting at 7 in the morning.(3 takeoffs between 7 and 7:20 am). The roar of their engines can be heard in the ocean front rooms (I don't know about the ones with the Inner Harbour views). Loud enough to wake me up! If you're someone who likes to sleep in , and you're sensitive to noise, this is a problem. I didn't expect it! Hotel was full so I couldn't move to another room. So, I was up every morning at 7. Bummer.

If that's not a problem for you everything else is wonderful. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful to a person. The food in the restaurant, though a bit pricey was delicious, and the outside patio under the heaters is a gorgeous setting from 5-10 pm.

Our king studio deluxe room in the Erickson wing was large, comfortable, like new. The bed was very comfy. The huge bathroom with double sinks, soaker tub (narrow, but long) and separate full glass shower were all a delight.

I don't think there's anything to be done about the seaplane noise, just something to be aware of if it will bother you. If you're up by 7 anyway, it's fun to sit out on the balcony and watch the planes and water taxis.

Room Tip: Inside Harbor views may avoid the problem of early morning noise from the seaplanes taking off. Hig...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Mysticinsummer,

Thank you for posting your lovely review. It warms my heart when someone truly enjoys their experience here at our beautiful Inn.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by the float planes at 7AM in the morning. Victoria, albeit a very scenic harbour, is also a working harbour – that means that little float planes buzz about, The Coho Ferry comes in twice a day and the Victoria Clipper zooms in twice a day from Seattle, not to mention the myriad of zodiacs and whale watching boats on their way out to the open ocean to the whale grounds. It does make for a busy harbour. Most people just love the environment and are not disturbed by it at all but there are some people, such as yourself, who are more sensitive to noise and I can see where that would be a disturbance. The next time you stay here, I would suggest that you mention this to one of our reservations agents, they will gladly make a note on your file and insure that whenever possible you are assigned a room on the inner harbour, where the mornings especially, are much more peaceful.
So, once again, thanks you for your posting and I do hope you will return one day and..find it possible to sleep in-undisturbed!.

Cheers for now,
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

After a short walk from the bus station we were welcomed by very friendly and helpful reception staff. Our room was spacious with a lovely view over the bay. When we checked in we enquired about whale watching and were told that a trip was leaving in half an hour - we deposited our luggage in our room and by the time we got back to reception, we had been booked on the trip and a taxi was waiting to take us to Fisherman's Wharf ! The trip is well worth it - you are kitted out with jackets, trousers, hats & goggles (all needed as it was so cold !) and it all adds to the experience ! The small fast boat soon took us to our destination and we were fortunate to see whales - a sight I will never forget.
We had booked a table for dinner in the evening and couldn't resist the fish and chips - perfectly presented and tasted divine (lightest batter on the fish). Lovely table overlooking the bay - really couldn't be faulted !!
As it was raining the following day we went to Victoria Museum - well worth a visit.
Very sad that we were not staying longer as we would like to have explored the island further.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss! at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Wow! Travelling on a Zodiac AND finding Killer Whales is truly a "once in a lifetime experience". Having our awesome fish & chips in our harbour front dining room "AURA" at the end of a thrilling day is nothing less than fantastic. So glad you got to share in the magic that is the Pacific Northwest!
I hope you have an opportunity to return to our beautiful Inn again one day!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was beautiful, but we had somewhat bad first impressions. Parking is quite expensive at the hotel, so we managed to park on the street for free (after 6pm), and in another lot the next night which was $4 overnight. Our check-in process was quite slow as there was a bit of a line up and only one person at the desk.

I booked fairly last minute and got the 48-hr sale, so ended up with a great deal on the room. Stayed for 2 nights in a room with a restricted view, but it still has a little balcony, and you can see a tiny bit of ocean, which was fine by us. Overall, the room was okay, but not the nicest I've ever stayed in. The bathrooms definitely need updating.

The location is not quite in the heart of downtown, but almost! Be prepared to walk 10 minutes downtown... which is a nice walk anyway. The water taxi will also drop off/pick up just down the way from the hotel.

Breakfast at the restaurant was good, but the service was VERY slow. Even just to get greeted/seated took a solid 3-4 minutes. It was fairly pricey, and definitely not the best breakfast we had while in Victoria.

Room Tip: Check for the 48-hr sale, or ask about it over the phone.
Dear Teia C,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. Despite a few little glitches, it would appear that you enjoyed your stay. I agree with you that we do have some “killer sales” so do watch out for those to pop up from time to time.
I am sorry that you found our parking fees to be high. We happen to charge the 2nd lowest rate of all the major hotels in Victoria’s downtown core, which we think is incredibly reasonable for a gated and monitored underground facility. However, like you mentioned it is always nice to have the option of free parking on the city streets from 6PM to 8AM or of course, the inexpensive pay parking lot at the top of our street.
You mentioned that you waited in line to check out and that you had to wait 3-4 minutes in our restaurant to be seated. I would just like to say that the summer season is definitely upon us and things do get very busy at times so I apologize that we were not as prompt as you would have liked. For your convenience, we do have an Express Check out service that perhaps you might like to take advantage of next time you are here.
All in all, I sense that you enjoyed your stay with us! I do hope you take advantage of any upcoming “ good deals” and return to our beautiful property again!
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Why a terrible review when everyone else gives it 5star? Just here me out as well as those few that did rate it low. We all don't like to say anything bad, but unfortunately, this one deserves a poor rating. First time, I have feel bad for those that had a bad experience here because of the poor quality room that they and I got. I've traveled at many four stars, and this is not any close to room quality.

When a hotel is classified as 4 stars, it usually indicates quality, comfort, superior or first class amenities and acommodations. This was far from it. I felt it didn’t meet minimum for a 1 or 2star where I slept. It’s deceptive to have an Erickson wing which qualifies this hotel as four stars, but than put some of their patrons into a 1-2 star Laurel wing at four star price. I understand if I want to pay more for a bigger suite or beach/lake view. I paid for a lower level with less of a view at a nice hotel in a good location in Victoria. All I wanted was at minimum a comfortable bed to sleep in and I would expect that from a four star hotel.

Check-in: I specifically booked for 4people. they only had a king bed with a pull out. Made for an uncomfortable night. They said I can pay $60 more to upgrade into the Erickson wing. I don't want to pay to upgrade into a four star bedroom, I already paid for the 4 star bedroom!

Customer Service: Each appear to be friendly, but not helpful when you have a concern. I talked to three different ones (at check in, day after, and to manager). All they do is make you feel that it’s my fault for booking through a third party. Blame the third party and myself for a four star hotel, that has hard beds that you have to request a foam padding the next day to sleep more comfortably, pillows so bad that it’ll hurt your neck using them, a room so thin that you can hear all footsteps and faucet on next and above us. Blame us for a one inch gap at the door. A round nob faucet that is difficult to turn on or off. Bedding: blanket with NO duvet between two sheets – tacky and gross. We stayed in the second floor Laurel wing first night, was moved to third floor with two full beds – rooms weren’t much better, however better pillows and extra padding inserts made it more tolerable for one last night.

Let's just say I would have felt more ripped -off if I bought it at full price. The discount I got from travelocity was only like 20%, it still cost a lot after discount.
It’s shameful that management and staffs make high caliber customers feel this way when it’s their own poor bed rooms are to blame and not a third party. Priceline, Travelocity, expedia, ortbitz etc…shouldn’t support such condemning of themselves.
It only reflects how greedy and dishonest the owners of this hotel are. I wouldn’t stay here ever again it’s supporting a dishonest business, and I don’t agree with those tacky business style. Bad Karma. Spoiled our wonderful Victoria stay – don’t want to come back to Victoria for a long time because of this hotel experience.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you even think about the Laurel wing. But don't even stay here because of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank sweet p
Judy E, Executive Assistant to the Boss at Inn at Laurel Point, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear sweet p,
I was taken aback when I read your review of your recent stay with us. Clearly, we did not meet your expectations with regards to the standard of your room .However, I was frankly more taken aback by your comments questioning our integrity and our business practices .
I feel compelled to respond to your concerns to “set the record straight”.. as it were.

As a privately owned Canadian business, our success depends on many things and one of these things is our untarnished reputation for conducting ethical business practices at all times both within our hotel and with outside contractors and suppliers. Our relationships with third party suppliers are germane to our success and a necessity in today’s marketplace.

Third party suppliers such as Travelocity etc handle thousands of properties all over the world and I think it would be fair to say that although they endeavour to provide good information on the details and pricing of a property, talking to the property directly for in depth information, would be much more helpful for those requiring particular details.

Your criteria for selecting your room that you admittedly chose was for a “lower level with less of a view at a nice hotel in a good location” and that is exactly what we assigned you. We did not “put” you in a room that you did not choose. We like to think that we offer clean, well appointed rooms both on the Erickson Wing side of the hotel or the more modest Laurel Wing side. Like all hotels, the pricing increases incrementally the higher the floor and the better the view –this too is clearly defined on every website so there are no surprises.

One thing that does not change and is consistent throughout is our exceptional customer service that we are constantly complimented on. I am sorry that you did not find our staff to be helpful as you would have liked, but as you yourself pointed out, you seemed to be at odds with our other guests in this regard.

I am also sorry that you did not like the bed nor the faucets in the room. Like I said in a previous review...if only I could find a universal bed that would please everyone [insert smile] One last thing, all our beds have duvets but the hide-a-beds do not, as they simply would not close with one on. However, as with any hotel of note a simple call to ask for additional bedding would have been promptly dealt with.

I do hope this sheds some light on our position and I do hope that you will reconsider returning to our beautiful city one day.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed for four nights in the Erickson Wing in an upper floor room facing the outer harbour. Great view, nice balcony and beautiful bathrooms. I stayed here on business at a couple of conferences in the late 1990s and I must say that the Erickson Wing rooms have aged well. Maybe it's not as 'edgy" as a W for example, but the rooms still have a modern vibe while being comfortable and spacious. We also ate three times at Aura and really enjoyed both the service and the food, often sharing two or three of the delicious appetisers to make up the meal. Service in the restaurant was extremely charming and well-informed and the valet parking attendants were very friendly. Quibbles are minor. I think more upbeat décor could help the "dead zone" leading to the Erickson Wing and the corridors/hallways though wide are rather sterile. I was also surprised that the best price when I booked was available through Expedia even though I checked the hotel's website and called their reservation department.

Room Tip: Erickson Wing studio suites on an upper floor are the ones to have.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cheffip,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to post your review of your recent four day sejour with is.
I cannot say this often enough but our guest's feedback is incredibly important to our success. We take the good comments (and the...not-so -good) to heart and try to find ways to improve upon ourselves..... going forward.
So glad you enjoyed your stay and that you also love AURA, our waterfront dining room - isn't it awesome??

Again, many thanks and enjoy the rest of your summer.